• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Upgrading the water pump on a Yong Heng compressor

I’m not sure it’s worth while but it certainly won’t hurt. It seems to be its fast enough and the temp delta is more important, I use 2 bucket method so the warm water comes out of the pump won’t warm up cold intake bucket. with help of a descent fan I can fill up my 45 minute bottle from 3000psi to around 4200 psi in a 10 minute run that stops at 55 degrees in cooler weather. In the summer it’s heats up a bit quicker but not by a huge amount. 

All the talk about the stock one not being able to pump uphill 3 feet led me to get this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L54HB83/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had another fitting that had a 3/8 outlet. It is working great, it does not have so much pressure that it sprays all over everything. but plenty to pump uphill 4 or 5 feet. Of course I never tried the old one.

Thanks. I ordered that pump. It's probably a good idea to have the original one as a spare.

The original pump on the YH is a 400L/per hour unit. I have run mine two years with out a problem. It has plenty of flow so long as the hoses don't get kinked and you are not pumping uphill several feet. Now I can see possibly going with twice that flow rate but eight times the original is maybe a bit OCD? ;^) Which of course I am guilty of every now and then myself. Unless you are having to push that water up eight or ten feet there is not a need for such a drastic increase in output from the pump.

The original pump on the YH is a 400L/per hour unit. I have run mine two years with out a problem. It has plenty of flow so long as the hoses don't get kinked and you are not pumping uphill several feet. Now I can see possibly going with twice that flow rate but eight times the original is maybe a bit OCD? ;^) Which of course I am guilty of every now and then myself. Unless you are having to push that water up eight or ten feet there is not a need for such a drastic increase in output from the pump.

Yep. Using a higher capacity pump will require larger orifices. By using adaptors to reduce them down to fit your hoses and the size of the spigots on the water jackets, you will be effectively choking the flow to almost the rate of the OE pump. The flow rate of the original pump is quite adequate for the job that it does. If you want a spare, I recommend getting something with the same size hose barbs as the standard one.

Reactions: anonymous_.457
All the talk about the stock one not being able to pump uphill 3 feet led me to get this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L54HB83/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had another fitting that had a 3/8 outlet. It is working great, it does not have so much pressure that it sprays all over everything. but plenty to pump uphill 4 or 5 feet. Of course I never tried the old one.

I have the same one, I should add I got my yong heng 3 days ago and ordered the pump with it so can not speak about the difference it made but the pump definitely is an upgrade and moves a lot of water through it quicker but not too much, you can also adjust the power.

My original Yong Heng water pump failed after the first use so I replaced it with this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/160-GPH-Submersible-Aquarium-Water-Pump-Fish-Tank-Powerhead-Fountain-Hydroponic/173028543346?hash=item28494e0b72:g:eek:1EAAOSwR2RaL3ny

That was over 3-1/2 years ago and it is still going strong. My YH never gets above 45C when topping off my SCBA's from 3000 psi to 4200 psi. I use lots of ice in the 5 gal water bucket. My YH has not needed any parts replaced to date other than the original water pump. Hope this helps.

To the original post. Yeah a 667 gallons per a hour pump would be way over kill and risk popping lines and fittings.

Not really. Just because they can pump 667 or 800 GPH does not mean that the pressure is all that high. It is easy to restrict the volume because these pumps at 25 watts or less just do not have a bunch of push. Mine hasn't come close to blowing lines off. You are not going to be able to run a lawn sprinkler but they are definitely a step up compared to the stock pump. Is it really required NO probably not. Water wetter does make a bigger difference. But the jury is still out as to whether it prevents algae. If not using it it not cost effective.

Reactions: anonymous_.457
I'm just getting into PCPs, and have had a Yeng Hong for about 2 weeks now. I've already upgraded the water pump with this one....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FXDUQR0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It made a SIGNIFICANT difference in not only how fast the heat/temp rises, but it allowed me to fill a 30 cu ft bottle/tank from empty to 4000psi without the compressor temp every getting higher then 56c. That was with a full 5 gal bucket of plain water (nothing else) as the coolant reservoir.

Something else I did, just as an experiment, was to take strips of aluminum foil, and put makeshift heat "fins" on the stage tubing of the compressor... it looks stupid, but it actually works to dissipate more heat! At first I tried the "wet rag" wrapped on those tubes, but it was a mess on the bench, and once the rags started steaming, it was actually counterproductive. 

I have also browsed around the web, looking for "clamp on fins" such as those that are used in hydronic heating application (hot water heating) but never found anything small enough to be usable. I even went so far as to cut up an old "A" coil from a central air unit....to see if I could cut out and split the finned copper tubes.....then put them on the compressor stage tubing with heat conductive "glue".... but the "fins" just fall apart when splitting the copper tubes.