Upgrade the fan in a CX4?

I just ordered a CX4 and, as usual, I'm already thinking of all the ways I could modify it. I know it doesn't get hot enough to get damaged even after 4 or 5 hours of use, but hey, if something is worth doing it's worth overdoing right?
So looking at this graph by Target Forge:
Screenshot_20240421_203306_YouTube.jpg
The temperature never reaches an equilibrium.

So what if I replace the fan with a much stronger one, such as the one on the Tuxing 12v compressor? It's noisy, but boy does it move a lot of air!
And maybe put a heatsink on the motor?

Also the grease on the gears, I feel like removing the grease (which are traditionally of pretty low quality) with a high quality one right off the bat before even running the compressor.

I also plan on putting in an hour meter.

Any other cool ideas would be welcome too!

For me, the fun is in the tinkering, even more than the shooting. There, I said it!

Reactions: Grey-Kiwi
It's your time and money, so do what you want, but I feel it is a waste of time. I measure the temp in four places, and have never felt the need for better cooling. Using a proper AF/DW mix of 10/90 or 20/80 would probably have more of an effect on cooling (or better yet, DW plus 8ml of Water Wetter, as I am doing).

As for the crankcase grease, unless you take the bearings off the shafts, clean them and the gears to bare metal, and PROPERLY re-pack the bearings, all you would be doing is putting new grease on top of the factory grease which will be doing 90% of the lubing.

The hour meter is a good idea, as I have detailed in my thread on the CS4 & CS4-I.

Reactions: 1900colt
I just realized and posted a reply on the Target Forge YouTube video that Bill might have reached a temperature equilibrium during his testing. The temperature of the pump only went up about 20 degrees after the initial 40 minutes of pumping. But according to Bill, the ambient temperature went up nearly 20 degrees during the pumping session. If you correct for ambient temperature, the equipment didn't get any hotter after the first 40 minutes.
That is, if I understood it correctly.

Reactions: MrP and F6Hawk
I just ordered a CX4 and, as usual, I'm already thinking of all the ways I could modify it. I know it doesn't get hot enough to get damaged even after 4 or 5 hours of use, but hey, if something is worth doing it's worth overdoing right?
So looking at this graph by Target Forge:
View attachment 457935
The temperature never reaches an equilibrium.

So what if I replace the fan with a much stronger one, such as the one on the Tuxing 12v compressor? It's noisy, but boy does it move a lot of air!
And maybe put a heatsink on the motor?

Also the grease on the gears, I feel like removing the grease (which are traditionally of pretty low quality) with a high quality one right off the bat before even running the compressor.

I also plan on putting in an hour meter.

Any other cool ideas would be welcome too!

For me, the fun is in the tinkering, even more than the shooting. There, I said it!
What are you filling, that requires 4 or 5 hours to fill?
That seems like a very excessive amount of time, for the CX4.
Must be a huge tank!

Nothing really lol. For my 9L tanks at home I have a Yong Heng and two Tuxing TXEDT032 compressors, the ones with the double heads and radiators. For my guns on the field I usually take the SCBA tanks and I take the digital 12v Tuxing TXET063 just in case.
I just like to make and modify things. I'm a machinist and have access to some pretty neat machinery in my shop like lathes, mills, metal laser cutters, powder coating equipment etc. Why not use them right?