Update: Post #9 - Help me learn about PCP

Update: See post #9

First, thank all of you who reached out to discuss this via phone or Zoom. I really appreciate the offers and there were a bunch!

I want to purchase my first PCP and really don't want to start at the ground floor. In the first part of this thread, I'd like to address my PCP questions. This will most likely lead to more questions, and I think that's part of the learning process. I'll follow up with an edit (or new thread in PCP) on which gun with a comprehensive list of details.

Here goes my first set of questions:
Getting air:
  • Thinking about a tank as there are shops in my area for refills (dive). Do paintball shops refill our tanks (will call).
  • Are hand pumps out of the question? I would shoot this PCP about 100/300 rounds a month.
  • Need to understand
    • How to fill – adaptors and accessories. Perhaps that is better answered when I pick a rifle.
    • When to fill - Guage dictates?
    • Hazards of refilling
PCP

• Should I start with a lesser priced rifle ($300/$500) or go for a bigger budget?
  • How often do these rifles require maintenance
  • What is the maintenance – lubes, tools (forums best place to learn?)
  • Can I do most maintenace/repairs myself (with help for forums / YouTube)
  • Will I need to “tune” my new PCP
  • Can I go with a “less sturdy” scope due to PCP

Last edited:
Outdoorgb,
Starting with "Getting Air" questions, SCBA, preferred over SCUBA, is a valid air system, provided refill sources, firehouse, paintball, dive shops, are available. Many begin with hand pumps, most quickly move on to tanks or HPA compressors. Owner's Manual will cover "how-to" fill, gun will have foster fitting or fill probe. If probe, picture shows what adapter you'll most likely need. Refill when gun tank/bottle pressure falls to set pressure of regulator, if gun un-regulated, accuracy will fall off, indicating refill needed. Never take high pressure air for granted, but usage can be safe, if proper precautions followed. Owner's Manual should offer important information. WM
IMG_20221102_122317.jpg

Reactions: beerthief
Congrats on deciding to try a PCP rifle. AGN is a great resource for gaining knowledge. I'm 52 and shot BB guns as a kid. About two years ago I got the itch to shoot again, and bought a Gamo break-barrel. After shooting it for a few weeks I was really disappointed with the accuracy, and decided to look into PCPs which have much higher potential for accuracy and precision. Like my past hobbies, and since I was on a limited budget, I decided to start as cheaply as possible to make sure that I enjoyed the hobby. I have been into RC cars, FPV drones, golf, fishing, and hunting over the years. My opinion is that cheap equipment makes the user appreciate the qualities of more expensive equipment, so I generally start with the cheaper end first, and then sell it on eBay once I have upgraded. My first PCP was the Umarex Origin in .22 caliber. I chose the Origin because for $300 it came with a hand pump, and I only needed to add a scope and pellets. Once I figured out that PCP was really fun and a hobby that I could enjoy for a few years, I stepped up and bought a Taipan Veteran ($1,600), a Spiritech Compressor ($300), and a better scope (Element Helix $400). The improvement in precision was pretty drastic over the Origin, so I sold the Origin on AGN for $180. The Origin hand pump only lasted a few weeks, so that taught me that cheaper equipment in PCP sometimes means it won't last. Today I am shooting a FX Crown VP in .22 caliber that I picked up at Utah Airguns for $1,299 and just love shooting it. I still have the Spiritech compressor and it is chugging along after about a year and a half of heavy use. Here are my opinions on your questions, in order:

Getting air
- Yes, most paintball shops can refill SCBA tanks. I have done this myself a few times.
- I would highly encourage you to start with a hand pump, especially since shooting 100-300 rounds a month is really low. I shoot 50+ rounds daily.
- The filling procedure depends on what you buy. It will be detailed in the user manual. It is pretty straight forward.

PCP
- My advice is to buy a low end gun first, see if you like PCP, and then think about upgrading. You can sell the starter gun later to recoup some money, or keep it as a back-up, or gun for friends to shoot with you.
- The maintenance is variable. One thing that I do often is clean my barrel. That is pretty easy. Other than that, it depends on what may break or need attention.
- AGN has taught me all that I needed to know about maintenance.
- Yes, you can do most of the work yourself. Youtube helps a ton.
- It depends on what you buy if you will need to tune the rifle. Assume that you will. Tuning is a big advantage of PCPs, in that you can adjust power, etc.
- Yes, a PCP rifle is much less destructive on scopes compared to springers.

Reactions: homebrw
Thanks for the replies.

I just hit 60 and bought two pretty neat springers in the past year; Beeman R7 which is great little backyard rifle and recently a Weihrach HW97K Blackline. Both of these are very accurate and am enjoying.

Regarding PCP rifles, I have learned what "regulators" do and will choose a rifle that has one.

I think I'll post my "criteria list" in the PCP forums and see where the advice leads me.

Again, appreciate the details.

So much to get in to here and there is a plethora of options that wasnt available just several years ago.
I think many people go the inexpensive route first, but seeing as you already have a top end springer, I would suggest a higher end gun. Be kinda like driving a Corvette and deciding to get a motorcycle and grabbing a Honda Rebel 250.

You're stating 100-300 shots per month, but if the bug hits, you'll likely go more.

Lots of things to consider and it likely will be overwhelming. I'm sure many of us here would be more than happy to answer questions. Good luck and enjoy the process!

Update:

Ended up with a new Air Venturi Avenger in .22 cal. Bought a Hawke 4-16x42 and the correct height rings (1" center to base). Mounted everything last night but too dark to fully torque and set. Went home at lunch and set eye relief and leveled the scope. Put a Buck Rail moderator on the end (big difference) Set up a carboard target as I thought my pellet trap might be a bit small at 20 yards for a new scope.

Nope... Three shots and I hit the bingo. You can see the settings on my target. Running an Eco-Tune right now but at 1600 psi vs. 1400 (Can't dial back down on this gun with regulator charged). Steve's from AEAC has a great "how to" video on this PCP.

The Avenger feels a bit "plasticy" but it's my first and it's light. I will add another PCP for certain. Really like the "tinkering" aspect of this gun with a regulator and hammer spring. Hand pumped to 3000 psi took about 45 mins of very casual pumping (Four Uncles). Topped off today took just another 15 minutes of casual pumping while making lunch (tool breaks per Mfg. recommendations).

After my first fill, I bought a Yong Heng compressor... Reading up on how to properly set up and maintain.

Appreciate everyone's input. Pics or it didn't happen...

AVA Setup.jpg

AVA Scope Mount.jpg

Update:

Ended up with a new Air Venturi Avenger in .22 cal. Bought a Hawke 4-16x42 and the correct height rings (1" center to base). Mounted everything last night but too dark to fully torque and set. Went home at lunch and set eye relief and leveled the scope. Put a Buck Rail moderator on the end (big difference) Set up a carboard target as I thought my pellet trap might be a bit small at 20 yards for a new scope.

Nope... Three shots and I hit the bingo. You can see the settings on my target. Running an Eco-Tune right now but at 1600 psi vs. 1400 (Can't dial back down on this gun with regulator charged). Steve's from AEAC has a great "how to" video on this PCP.

The Avenger feels a bit "plasticy" but it's my first and it's light. I will add another PCP for certain. Really like the "tinkering" aspect of this gun with a regulator and hammer spring. Hand pumped to 3000 psi took about 45 mins of very casual pumping (Four Uncles). Topped off today took just another 15 minutes of casual pumping while making lunch (tool breaks per Mfg. recommendations).

After my first fill, I bought a Yong Heng compressor... Reading up on how to properly set up and maintain.

Appreciate everyone's input. Pics or it didn't happen...

View attachment 323808

View attachment 323809
Just port matched and crowned my barrel today. Hope it will make some difference.

BED0DA3D-A97B-4BC7-8EA0-6B020A40637A.jpeg

7612172A-4267-4FBF-AC0F-FD34C33B4CC6.jpeg

8384E063-A3A9-4224-BBEC-0D58D8861093.jpeg

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1