• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Update on picking a portable compressor.

In an earlier post I detailed my hunt for a portable compressor, wanted the 12 volt option. My first choice was the GX CS2 Portable PCP Air Compressor 4500Psi/30Mpa Oil-Free Powered by Car 12Vunit. Let me say this is a very nice compact unit, and it worked. But it was a little on the slow side and did not have a cut off setting so I returned it. For the one gun guy this would be a great unit. I wanted a little shorter fill times and the cutoff setting. I did not want to have to babysit the CS2 while it was filling. I wanted one I could set it 300 psi below fill pressure and have it cutoff while loading magazines resetting or rehanging targets and it the cut off failed I would be able to catch it. So I ordered the big brother GX-CS3, it arrived DOA. Fans would fire up but the pump would do nothing. Supplier was out and could not replace it, so back it went. Up next after much research I chose the Toauto it had one design I liked more than the CX-3, it used one button for on and off where the CX3 had a on and off button. So the Toauto comes in and the fans fire up and close the bleeder valve and stats to pump for a minute and the pump shutoff. So I am in to this 3 pumps deep at this point. Mind you I have a YH down stairs that I am trying to find a quick fix for the once in a while fast fill without the frozen water bottles and high output fan being drug out. So now I am going to try one of the VEVOR PCP Air Compressor 12V/110V/220V for Scuba Compressor 30Mpa Auto-Stop. I know someone who has the smaller unit and it has been good for a couple of years. Here's a video of the Toauto dying while still new.. After the first fill attempt (Video is 2nd) I decided to reach out to the company and see about some customer service and see what could be done. That was on Dec16th and still no reply.
tim-

Reactions: Rasberryrl
I'm not sure I'd trust the pressure-triggered cut-offs on the cheaper compressors. That said, if you're filling an SCBA tank it shouldn't matter too much if you overshoot by 100 bar or so -- they can take short-term over-pressure.

The nice thing about the GX is filling is so slow, if you have it on an on/off timer to keep the temperature down, you need only check on the compressor every 30 minutes or so when filling an SCBA tank.

Reactions: 450BM and SHOMER
I'm not sure I'd trust the pressure-triggered cut-offs on the cheaper compressors. That said, if you're filling an SCBA tank it shouldn't matter too much if you overshoot by 100 bar or so -- they can take short-term over-pressure.

The nice thing about the GX is filling is so slow, if you have it on an on/off timer to keep the temperature down, you need only check on the compressor every 30 minutes or so when filling an SCBA tank.
I would never leave one that long. I talking about 3-5 minutes but still be with in earshot to arms length.
tim

Last edited:
Reactions: SHOMER
I'm on the market for a portable compressor too, and it seems there's been a flood of these cheaper Chinese compressors that have hit the market. I'm following along this thread because I've still yet to find one I'm comfortable committing too because of stories like this. Although they are somewhat inexpensive ($300 - $400 is nothing to scoff at though), that money adds up if you were to buy 2 or 3 of these cheaper units only for them to break shortly after.

I have a GX CS2 and it has been working as advertised. It takes around 11 minutes to fill my Impact. I did buy a 4 year warrantee with it for $40 and hope to never use it…

I won’t trust an auto shut off for my $2000 gun no more than I trust my line/lane sensors in my vehicle to keep me on my lane. Is the pump manufacturer going to cover the repair of my gun if their pressure sensor fails and damages the gun? My time watching the pressure gauges is worth it to me but of course, this is my time and my opinion.

GX Compressor
I bought our original GX C2 compressor with an extra three year warranty just in case and now two and a half years in there is still no problems. Prior to Christmas on a cyber deal purchased their GX CS3-1 for $415.00 this time with only their one year warranty and no extra warranty $$.

But another manufacturer Spritech caught my eye with their newer improved VE3 unit, so I returned the GX CS3-1 unopened.
The newly upgraded Spritech VE3 has a unique double-cylinder structure and powerful pure copper motor supporting a faster inflation performance. PCP dedicated air compressor is mainly designed for tanks less than 92ci (1.5L). Added safety oil-water separator, double cooling fans, temperature gauge and auto shut off that I'll never use. This time around I grabbed a $45.00 four year warranty just in case? One of these will be a home unit while the other a truck traveling - field unit. :cool:

Reactions: 450BM
Ok I have a winner sort of. Filled a FX 300cc tank from 140 bar to 205bar in 4.48 minute Once I shut the pump off in the video the last 30 second are not worth watching. Before every one loses there mind on the 205 psi, it had to do with the thickness of the cut off needle. Got it figured out. I also filled my Jack Hailey .25 to 2800 psi fairly fast. I say "Ok I have a winner sort of) I am getting a E4 message after bleeding the air after the fill. I am also getting a little squeaking from the pump, could be break in noise. Will check with the company for answers. Also you can see the box took a hit, this is the best box of the four I have ordered. Offers a lot more protection then the other three. One other thing I did not like about the Cx-2 and 3 was the fact that the power supply for the 12 volt was a separate box, so you had to item to move around instead of one.
tim

IMG_4396[2].JPG

IMG_4397[1].JPG

IMG_4399[1].JPG

IMG_4400[1].JPG

IMG_4401[1].JPG

View attachment 318362

Attachments

• IMG_4405[1].JPG
    IMG_4405[1].JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Reactions: Amer1can_Ak1ta
I hope you were able to satisfactorily get your $$$ back on the dud units. You mention you have a YH. IMO I'd consider a small 4,500 PSI "range tank", maybe the smaller 100 cu inch ones. Unless you're shooting big bore should be ample for a full day on the range plus the YH at home could fill it piece of cake. Regards.

Edit: Didn't read the post with the orange CE unit. Hope it works smoothly for you.

Last edited:
I hope you were able to satisfactorily get your $$$ back on the dud units. You mention you have a YH. IMO I'd consider a small 4,500 PSI "range tank", maybe the smaller 100 cu inch ones. Unless you're shooting big bore should be ample for a full day on the range plus the YH at home could fill it piece of cake. Regards.

Edit: Didn't read the post with the orange CE unit. Hope it works smoothly for you.
Yes got the money back.
tim

Reactions: 450BM
Ok I have a winner sort of. Filled a FX 300cc tank from 140 bar to 205bar in 4.48 minute Once I shut the pump off in the video the last 30 second are not worth watching. Before every one loses there mind on the 205 psi, it had to do with the thickness of the cut off needle. Got it figured out. I also filled my Jack Hailey .25 to 2800 psi fairly fast. I say "Ok I have a winner sort of) I am getting a E4 message after bleeding the air after the fill. I am also getting a little squeaking from the pump, could be break in noise. Will check with the company for answers. Also you can see the box took a hit, this is the best box of the four I have ordered. Offers a lot more protection then the other three. One other thing I did not like about the Cx-2 and 3 was the fact that the power supply for the 12 volt was a separate box, so you had to item to move around instead of one.
tim

View attachment 318356

View attachment 318357

View attachment 318358

View attachment 318360

View attachment 318361

View attachment 318362
About the E4 message: someone may have mention it already or you may have the asnwer already as the topic almost a year old, but there's another message (I believe it was E1 if I remember from an online search of this same specific model of compressor). I think one message pops up after the auto stop kicks in (the E1) and the other message (E4) is after the pump/compressor is turned off. These messages are part of the normal operation If I remember correctly. Heads up to those wanting to buy similar looking compressor (priced exactly the same as the SPRITECH V3 on Amazon as of yesterday) from different brand but with updated LCD screen with digital control buttons for power on/off and fan on/off. This compressor appears to have a design flaw if I'm guessing correctly, this other brand compressor has the bleed valve located above the output male quick connect nipple. So this tells me (again, my guess) that the moisture and water would have to travel up/climb up to the bleed valve to get discharged? Bleed valve should be at the lowest point/section of the compartment that collects water and moisture. It doesn't make sense unless you have one and take it apart to see how actually it looks internally. I thought about get this updated LCD type one, but opted for the same one you have based on this (mainly) and the fact that I like the buttons better on the SPRITECH V3. Just a warning because this model comes out about 3 years after the SPRITECH V3

About the E4 message: someone may have mention it already or you may have the asnwer already as the topic almost a year old, but there's another message (I believe it was E1 if I remember from an online search of this same specific model of compressor). I think one message pops up after the auto stop kicks in (the E1) and the other message (E4) is after the pump/compressor is turned off. These messages are part of the normal operation If I remember correctly. Heads up to those wanting to buy similar looking compressor (priced exactly the same as the SPRITECH V3 on Amazon as of yesterday) from different brand but with updated LCD screen with digital control buttons for power on/off and fan on/off. This compressor appears to have a design flaw if I'm guessing correctly, this other brand compressor has the bleed valve located above the output male quick connect nipple. So this tells me (again, my guess) that the moisture and water would have to travel up/climb up to the bleed valve to get discharged? Bleed valve should be at the lowest point/section of the compartment that collects water and moisture. It doesn't make sense unless you have one and take it apart to see how actually it looks internally. I thought about get this updated LCD type one, but opted for the same one you have based on this (mainly) and the fact that I like the buttons better on the SPRITECH V3. Just a warning because this model comes out about 3 years after the SPRITECH V3
So one would assume it's the newer and better one and be tempted to order it over the SPRITECH.

tim

View attachment 318356

View attachment 318357

View attachment 318358

View attachment 318360

View attachment 318361

View attachment 318362
Same unit as my Spritech, mine works great, no problems....Yet, also have a GX CS2, works great too.;)