• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

[UPDATE] General Advice Dealing with Roll/Pins/Punches

Hello Friends!

I made a comment in a thread earlier today that made me realize I should probably ask the wider community for advice as we have tons of highly skilled tradesmen, crafters, and engineers amongst our ranks.

I’ve always struggled with pins, initially it was because I was worried I’d break something so I babied them (aka not enough force to get them to budge). But now I’m trying to remove the pin that holds the Leshiy 2’s “Locking pin” in place and I’m having an extremely difficult time ejecting it.

Do people have any sage advice regarding dealing with stuck or frozen pins? So far I’ve applied Kroil and confirmed it has seeped through.

Put a drop of Kroil in here
IMG_7572.jpeg

and it even made its way through as evidenced by the wet spots surrounding the other side of the pin and the locking pin
IMG_7574.jpeg

IMG_7573.jpeg

So far I’ve managed to get the pin to move by probably 2-3mm but it won’t move any further. Any advice is appreciated!

And just general tips or advice people have found to be useful when dealing with pins.

Thank you!

Well I never see a slotted on one end and solid on the other pin in my life ..

Maybe I'm looking at that pictures wrong or something..

https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Roll-Pin

I just drift punch most all out ...

Must be more to that your doing then meets the eye ..

Unless something is notched and you don't have it lined up to pass through ?

A quick rough example of a notched pin that maybe needs to be position / lined up a certain way?

th-587381766.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bernie7
Ya... Looking at this it's notched but was easy to knock out ( locking pin removal vid)

This is exactly the video I was using for reference and I performed an identical process but mine is taking A LOT of force. I’m considering getting a vise and using consistent pressure to try to push it through instead of hits from a hammer. (Anyone have thoughts on using this process).

My only thought on this particular video is I think this might be the ‘example’ gun (especially given it had an optic on it, probably one of his personal guns), so maybe he’s popped it in and out a bunch of times whereas in this case it’s the first time this is getting removed.

You may need to look at an exploded view to see what the pins actually look like. No apparent reason to be held up unless something going on with pin #2
This is a good point, it might be that there’s no play here but I could try to see if it twists/rotates fractions of a degree one way or another. I suppose if it was slightly angled it could be causing additional resistance.

Bernie -

Don't know about your situation, but it seems that many pins in air guns are a...one way...push.
I.E. push to remove from one way only and insert from, the opposite direction.
Or, remove by pushing to the right, insert "from" the right to the left.

Some, are just tight.

Mike
“Some, are just tight” I’m hoping that’s the case 😂

You'll have better chance if you can hold it rigid in a vise with 2 blocks of wood. A steel pin in aluminum can't be but so tight. It will come out. The gent in the video is moving it with a little tack hammer. Is your punch a little too big and you're pushing some aluminum ahead of it in the hole?
No, if anything I believe my punch may be slightly undersized. I was using a Mayhew 1/16. Turned it into overcooked linguine 😅 but I have larger diameter coming in the mail.

No, if anything I believe my punch may be slightly undersized. I was using a Mayhew 1/16. Turned it into overcooked linguine 😅 but I have larger diameter coming in the mail.
Pressing out using a vice, and punch, or drill bit using shank end first.
Much more controlled way to remove pins. Been doing it for decades.
Good luck.

Reactions: Bernie7