• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

(Update) Extreme Big Bore Booster Pump, Modified

I finally completed the modifications to my "Extreme Booster Pump" and now I'm satisfied with how it performs. I added a check valve to the high pressure output. Now I no longer have a pressure drop during piston return and the gauge holds steady and easy to read. I also added a metering valve between the regulator and air-button so I can control the pumping speed. I like things to happen slowly while I monitor the pressure gauge. I also added a pressure gauge.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with Extreme Big Bore. The booster pump was operable as it came but it could be much improved with these additions. I did find a couple of quality problems with the pump as purchased. The first time I pressurized it I could hear the hiss of air and found that it was the low pressure quick connect which connects to the air button. It leaked like a sieve. The socket was loose and sloppy, almost like the wrong type socket for the plug. I couldn't get it to seal and had to replace it. The other problem was one of the male foster fittings was too large in diameter and I had nothing that would fit it.

I saw a photo on the web of an earlier version of this pump being sold by Extreme. It had all of these items I just added !!! I wonder why they took them off. Did they think they were unnecessary or were they just cutting cost ?

Modified Pump.1638395660.jpg

SqrlHntr,

I reached out to Extreme Big Bore and asked for advice on adding a pressure gauge. here was their response: "I would not recommend that as this will void your warranty. Also, we can not guarantee the performance of the Booster Pump".

My next question was on how to fill a gun which has no pressure gauge. This was their response: "Topping off the tank with two pushes of the green button with each shot is going to be your best bet. Please let me know how this works out for you."

This was not the kind of response I had hoped for and it made no sense to me. Makes me shudder to think of trying to fill to 4500 psi without a pressure gauge. Just blind jabs of a button. I decided I'm better off on my own and haven't contacted them since.

Hi Reedmosser,

I agree it must be a Chinese booster. It would have to be at this low price. I can't find a trademark or any mfg ID anywhere on it.

Speaking of Chinese companies, I'm in the market for a home shop air compressor and I have been looking at one of the few American made ones out there "Champion". There seems to be a lot of distributors of Champion products on the web and the prices do vary quite a bit, though they all ship direct from the manufacturer. I found one website that had the lowest price for the exact model I'm looking for and I almost placed an order. Then I discovered the location of this seller was Jiangsu province, China !!!

Why in the world would I pay money to a Chinese company operating in China for a product manufactured and shipped from Illinois ? The only address and phone number they had was in China. I doubt they are an approved distributor. Couldn't find them listed. Strange.

So the Czech Altaros booster is also a Chinese made one?

Even though it's made locally and with more bells and whistles and cheaper than the Extreme?

https://www.altaros.cz/en/compressors/160-altaros-double-booster-b2b-edition-bottle-bottle.html

Not all and good things that are cheap are made in commy China!

The Extreme looks like a kid played with pneumatics and had a fit. HP fittings sticking out in any which way.

The Altaros is fitted in a metal casing with proper hoses, pressure gauges, and to boot it's set it and forget it automatic.