• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daystate UPDATE 1-9-24 Looking to make the move to PCP world. Need guidance!

UPDATE:

I was able to find an amazing deal on an Daystate Air Ranger in .25 (mint condition, only shot about 150 pellets by owner)

I will post pictures once I have the AG in my possession.

Question: Can anyone help me pick the right accessories to fill the Air Ranger.

I am purchasing a GX PUMP CS3 compressor. Would a Air Venturi Male Quick-Disconnect, 1/8 BSPP Female Threads work to fill the Daystate?

Thanks!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello everyone,

I asked for input on this topic on another forum that has a lot less traffic. I got some good responses but I want to ask the folks on this forum the same question and get some input from a much larger crowd.

I have been a long time AG enthusiast and have always used a break barrel or underlever spring AG.

However, I am not as good of a shot I use to be once and shooting a spring piston AG adds to my difficulty of making consistently accurate shots.

Long story short, I am looking for a .25 cal PCP for my max available range of 50 yards. I do some paper punching but am looking for a solid performer to take down squirrels, mole, fox and racoons terrorizing my chickens.

I am not sure about how much I need to spend on the PCP rifle + a compressor. I certainly don't want to cheap out because I know from experience in AG world, you get what you pay for.

Things important to me:

1) Great trigger, as I know my current struggle to be accurate with my spring guns also comes from not having the best triggers and hold sensitivity.
2) It needs to have a magazine.
3) Good to great build quality
4) Adjustable power
5) Regulated
6) Needs to be quiet from factory or be able to add a suppressor/shroud to quiet it down. Do not want to alarm neighbors.

Anything else I am missing from the list of what's important ?

I have looked at a couple of websites and have seen .25 cal PCPs from the likes of Air Venturi Avenger-X (~$500 range), Benjamin Kratos (~$700), and on the more expense side Air Arms S510 Xtra FAC ($1,500).

I know I will get many different answers but given the limitation of my max range. I need something that can get 1 inch groups at 50yrds.

I really appreciate your input.

Last edited:
IMHBAO, Look at a Daystate Huntsman, Air Arms S510. FX Crown and BSA R10 in that order for your first PCP. No need to look anywhere else for your first steel and walnut traditional rifle. I own all of them and everything else is on a lower level.

Best bang for the buck . . .

For an air compressor I have this one and it is fantastic. On sale right now for a limited time on Amazon. I wouldn't miss it if I was you. I paid $200 more for mine when they first came available.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocdairgunner
most pcps will do under an inch at 50, i like the kratos, should do everything for a reasonable price, although after battling larger stuff like coons i prefer a big bore like a bulldog .35 .. and for smaller stuff and plinking i prefer .22, ammo is cheaper .. a yong heng compressor and a used firemans tank is a good fill setup and there will be several accessories to go along with it, filter, hoses, adapter etc

Many PCPs will give you 1 inch at 50 yards, that is the standard for average PCP accuracy.

If you really want a .25 (instead of a .22) your options will be more limited.

I am not hunting and cannot give advice in that area.

For accuracy and power I would choose a 22 Air Venturi Avenger.
You can find a refurb (usually like new) Avenger rifle for about $260 on the Pyramid Air website.

If you are willing to spend more (for little performance improvement) you can get the Avenge X, the Avenger sequel.

I personally think that the Avenger X is just a marketing gimmick.
When your current product (the Avenger) stops selling you invent a new one which may be slightly better (or not).

25 cal with that size range of game. thinking 550-700mm barrel and quiet. external adjustability will be desired so a turn of the knob down to squirrel with pellets. Turn up to max for pellets or slugs for raccoon and fox. Taipan vet 1 or 2. FX Maverick, These are 1500-1700 bucks range. nice triggers. They are bullpups though, don't know if that's an issue. There are others too. Once we get your field of interest narrowed down, then more appropriate ideas will be made.

Several good recommendations here. I’d recommend the fx wildcat compact, it’s light weight, good power, great ergonomics. Huben K1 is another great one, easily adjustable power, makes 100+ fpe is .25 cal, light weight, quiet, semi auto. FX dreamline series if you prefer traditional style rifles, or fx crown

Last edited:
25 cal with that size range of game. thinking 550-700mm barrel and quiet. external adjustability will be desired so a turn of the knob down to squirrel with pellets. Turn up to max for pellets or slugs for raccoon and fox. Taipan vet 1 or 2. FX Maverick, These are 1500-1700 bucks range. nice triggers. They are bullpups though, don't know if that's an issue. There are others too. Once we get your field of interest narrowed down, then more appropriate ideas will be made.
Thanks for the input. I am wondering if a bull-pup design will work for me. I am about 6’2” with long arms and i find the small rifles/guns dont shoulder well for me, safe to assume a bull-pup would seem like a bad fit?

Sounds like the gun you’re looking for is a Taipan Veteran, checks all the boxes.
Thanks, I have heard great things about the Taipan. I dont want to have to tinker around too much to get the rifle to shoot well. What I mean is I read about tuning the hammer spring and regulator to get the best accuracy, shot count and minimum noise. I am okay with the tuning aspect as long as it does not become a tedious process. I want a PCP rifle that can shoot well with minimal tinkering if that’s possible

From the ones you’re interested in it looks like you want a traditional rifle and not a bullpup. The Avenge X have been getting good reviews. If you go the Benjamin route contact @Airgun-Revisions and they will get you what you’re looking for. He can get you a Kratos that shoots top notch.
Thanks! Will Airgun-Revisions tune the gun for optimal performance? Meaning, best balance for shooting a certain pellet weight, consistent fps, and optimal shot count? I am new to this so I am sorry if my questions are silly

IMHBAO, Look at a Daystate Huntsman, Air Arms S510. FX Crown and BSA R10 in that order for your first PCP. No need to look anywhere else for your first steel and walnut traditional rifle. I own all of them and everything else is on a lower level.

Best bang for the buck . . .

For an air compressor I have this one and it is fantastic. On sale right now for a limited time on Amazon. I wouldn't miss it if I was you. I paid $200 more for mine when they first came available.

Thanks!

🔘 Mmmm, some of the suggested guns don't fulfill the OP's requirement of adjustable power — which probably means more than just turning the hammer spring around a bit... — but an externally adjustable regulator.

🔘 You can put a silencer on almost any PCP — and if you don't like the silencers that have the correct thread, DonnyFL will have an adapter for you (around $50).

🔘 Treat yourself to some good optics, if you don't have them already. Since you won't have to worry about the double recoil of a springer wrecking your nice scope — you are now officially free to choose any, and worry-free.
➠ If you'd like an overview of options and their specs, let me know which magnification range you're looking at:
➊ 3-12x | 3-9x
➋ 4-16x | 3-18x | 4-20x
➌ 6-24x | 5-30x | 4-20x

Matthias

Many PCPs will give you 1 inch at 50 yards, that is the standard for average PCP accuracy.

If you really want a .25 (instead of a .22) your options will be more limited.

I am not hunting and cannot give advice in that area.

For accuracy and power I would choose a 22 Air Venturi Avenger.
You can find a refurb (usually like new) Avenger rifle for about $260 on the Pyramid Air website.

If you are willing to spend more (for little performance improvement) you can get the Avenge X, the Avenger sequel.

I personally think that the Avenger X is just a marketing gimmick.
When your current product (the Avenger) stops selling you invent a new one which may be slightly better (or not).
Wasn't sure on differences between Avenger and Avenge-X until I watched Pyramyd Air's Insyder 13-minute video called, "Avenger vs. Avenge-X Review," from four months ago, on YouTube. Totally Impressive! WM

Thanks for the input. I am wondering if a bull-pup design will work for me. I am about 6’2” with long arms and i find the small rifles/guns dont shoulder well for me, safe to assume a bull-pup would seem like a bad fit?
The LOP on the bullpups are pretty much the same as on a traditional rifle. Most of the air guns mentioned here have an adjustable LOP. Worst case you can buy spacers used to adjust shotguns/rifles.

Also, be sure to pickup a good desiccant filter so that you don't ruin your new PCP. Here are two I use:

Small 3" Filter:

Medium 7" Filter

Large 12" Filter

The 3" filter works fine until you get to a 65%+ humidity day and are refilling a lot. The desiccant gets saturated in maybe 6-7 fills. You can get more fills from the 7" and 12", however, the larger the filter, the longer the fill times. The 7" is fine. It only adds maybe a minute to a minute and a half to a fill. The 12" can add 5 minutes depending on your gun's capacity.

Toss that Zeolite media they come with and get some color changing silica bead:

It will go a long way because it is reusable. Once the orange turns to green, dump it out in a container. When you have enough saturated beads, throw it in the over at 250F for a couple hours and it's ready to go ahead.

Heppy hunting.