Unsponsored Review of .22 Diana 52

"BeachGunner"Nice springer Jeremy. Don't you love when the CPUM's are THE one? 

The 48 looks like a beast of a springer, but everyone owner seems to really love them. I bet you could put a serious smack down on one of your back yard squirrels with that.
Yes, I do love it when CPUMs are The One. It reminds me though, it's probably time to clean the barrel and give it its best chance to group. They're at least as heavy as a break-barrel of the same power and stock material, but much more handy.

I went through a phase earlier this year where the D48 was the one. (because it likes Polymags) I put down two skunks and a squirrel or two with it, before I found that it is indeed still "just a springer". It's not really capable of 30 yard head shots, for example.

Nice review Jeremy. I bought my D48 this past Feb-Mar, and then got my TX200 around April-May, both in .22. I agree, it's been my experience this year that the D48's cocking lever is more forgiving when shooting 20+ pellets in a session (a little less fatiguing and less awkward). Fortunately, the .22 CPUM are THE ONES for my D48, and I can get them from my local Tractor Supply. Needless to say, every two weeks I go and buy the two tins they have on the shelf. Neither rifle likes any of the H&N pellets. I did change the scope mounts from a two piece to a single mount (dampa), and that seemed to help my accuracy. The only drawback, in my opinion, is the weight. After about 45 minutes of off-the-bench shooting it does test your stamina. Also, I like the trigger of my D48 more than my TX, but I haven't adjusted either (yet). 

The 48 is a standard ( 48/52/54 tho the 54 gets it's own class). I watched a friend squirrel hunt with his .22 48 for a couple of years, 100+ head shots from all ranges but it just seemed like a springer to me ( right ? ). His had it cut down sleeved barrel & tuning and I had shot it and it did group well.
Then I saw an ad for a NIB 48/52 ( '90's and they stamped them both way's and you could have either stock and the T-01 trigger) for $200.00 with the box & all goodies, seemed a good deal, maybe I could use it gently and then break even on it down the road as, I dont like springers.
It was a .177. The darn thing grouped! Liked any reasonable pellet. Broke the factory spring in two in 2,000 shots. LOVE springers! Seems that was common that year. Droped in a JM kit ( slightly smoother than stock, which ever that was). Then I was SO happy the facytory spring had broken. What a smooth rig.
Naturally then it need slight upgrades for FT.
ad77b54618a6c42df5382a3d011cb03e.jpg

Even Tammy who was a springer hater placed well with it.

New "I" would pass due to price but on the other hand the used price in no way reflects what they are worth. Odd how that works.

John

"scrane"I've had a 48 for a few years and have probably not put 50 pellets through it. It's just too jumpy for me. I've thought of cutting the spring down until I didn't need a compressor to put it back together. That would teach it some manners. :)
I'm told by a couple members of my club (who's mostly into field target) that a lot of guys used to have the 48 pro-tuned down to just under 12 FPE. That way, the extra weight and lower power combine to make it more accurate.

My TX200 shoots about half the group size of my 48, and it is pro-tuned at 15 FPE, but I think the TX inherently has a better trigger. 

Edit, here's the 12 FPE kit from Vortek: https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Vortek_PG2_Tune_Kit_12_FPE_fits_Diana_RWS_48_52_54_56_470/7969
Here's the one for over 12 FPE. (he doesn't say what the resulting power is...) https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Vortek_PG2_K_Tune_Kit_fits_Diana_48_RWS_52_54_460_470/7966

"mark404"Very nice gun and just a FYI, what you have is a 52 not a 48, the only difference is the 52 has checkering on the stock, the 48 does not... the action is identical
Thanks for the correction. I thought the 52 had a walnut stock, and not beech.

The action is marked with 48/52, so I guess that would make sense. Same action, different stock. 

I just looked on Pyramyd, and the 52 also has a Monte Carlo stock (has a cheekpiece) and the 48 doesn't.

"blackdiesel"I'm not really a springer guy in that I mostly shoot mine in the backyard to get a break from PCPs. However. with my D48 most of my 5 shot groups at 35 yards are one hole. So I would feel comfortable doing headshots at this distance.
That's awesome accuracy for a springer. It's good that you've kept your springer skills up by shooting it.
I'm glad to know they're capable of great accuracy. Is yours tuned or stock? How recent production is it?
I need to get off my butt and clean the barrel, and see how much of a difference that makes. ... and get some H&N FTT 5.53s.

I do wonder though, if you're shooting one-holers @ 35, why not shoot springers more? You've got the skill for it, and they're so low-maintenance...

"Smaug"
"blackdiesel"I'm not really a springer guy in that I mostly shoot mine in the backyard to get a break from PCPs. However. with my D48 most of my 5 shot groups at 35 yards are one hole. So I would feel comfortable doing headshots at this distance.
That's awesome accuracy for a springer. It's good that you've kept your springer skills up by shooting it.
I'm glad to know they're capable of great accuracy. Is yours tuned or stock? How recent production is it?
I need to get off my butt and clean the barrel, and see how much of a difference that makes. ... and get some H&N FTT 5.53s.

I do wonder though, if you're shooting one-holers @ 35, why not shoot springers more? You've got the skill for it, and they're so low-maintenance...
I like shooting PCPs a lot more. Springers take too much concentration and when I mess up or pull a shot I kind of get frustrated more so than with PCPs. I have an under-lever Diana 460 and I have been shooting it more than the 48. It's a really powerful 22 cal (23-24 FPE), but I can shoot it off my field pod and the POI don't seem to move. It's also lighter, although heavy guns don't bother me.