• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Unregulated VS regulated experiment

For nearly two decades, I have enjoyed shooting my Air Arms S-510 unregulated rifles. I have always been a proponent that regulated rifles are unnecessary and I feel like my Air Arms rifles are deadly. With the .177 I can typical shoot 50 shots or more, my .22 plus 30 shots, and my .25 plus 20 shots, without feeling like or perceiving that I am losing accuracy or POI.

As I have become a much better student of air rifles and ballistics over the last few years, I have come to realize that the consistency of not only pellet weights and head sizes, but air pressure as well, are really key if one wants to shoot really tight groups at all yards at all times. Understanding that some of you are saying "duh" about now, I recently did a quick but revealing experiment shooting 10 shots unregulated with my .177 Air Arms S-510, charged to what appeared to be 200 BAR based upon the gauge on my scuba tank, and then repeating the same exercise while connected to my Air Venturi carbon fiber fill bottle, regulated to 200 BAR, after shooting ten shots to be certain the rifle was not over charged and that the regulator was controlling the power.

The pellets used were JSB Exact Heavy 10.34 grains, hand weighed to be within a range of 10.29 to 10.39 grains. Shooting was done from my controlled indoor 18 yard range. Both resulting groups were nearly identical , with 10 shot groups measuring sub .375." So at 18 yards, no discernible difference was apparent, though this may not be the case at 50 yards or beyond. Also, with the unregulated group, the rifle was obviously overcharged, as the muzzle velocity of all 10 shots was above any of the chrono readings coming from the regulated group.

As I already own five of these rifles, and hunting accuracy is no problem, I may or may not be purchasing a new rifle in the near future, but based upon this exercise, when I do, it will be factory regulated. The results simply have to be better in terms of consistency and group size.

The chrono readings for the comparative groups were as follows:

10 shot unregulated group: 1030 fps, 1032 fps, 1028 fps, 1027 fps, 1027 fps, 1025 fps, 1023 fps, 1017 fps, 1016 fps, 1015 fps - extreme deviation after only 10 shots 17 fps.

10 shot regulated group: 995 fps, 995 fps, 997 fps, 1002 fps, 998 fps, 1001 fps, 997 fps, 998 fps, 999 fps, 998 fps - extreme deviation when regulated was only 7 fps.

Using data from an externally regulated rifle will not represent the behaviour of an internal regulator. An internal reg has a much smaller plenum and will work best with a valve that is tuned to deliver the best power at a lot lower air pressure. What you have done is regulate your input supply at the pressure that your unregulated gun is valved to be in the middle of the power curve and your plenum is the full volume of your air-tube. Whilst shooting from a bench, I always tether my unregulated guns to a regulated bottle to mimic the sweet spot in their power curves. I have tried internally regulating one of these guns without modifying the valving and had disappointing results. Pros. consistency. Cons. lower shot count and lower power. Accuracy unchanged for the pressure range comparison.

I avoided regs for a long time. I even chose to have both AZ Rapids unregulated when both were under 45ftlbs & could have been. When I see what my RS does after Dan Yacovelli out in a reg & tuned the preload on his Chrony it gets a standard 50 shots at 861fps w/ 18.13's and a 10fps spread from 1-50. It's not even set up by someone like Will Piatt as poppet spring, valve port, longer barrel(17") pre load on right spring for the reg could squeeze more out. I can only imagine what kind of long range groups my AZ .25 could have given me if regulated.

On the other hand. My reg is 6 yrs old & needs to visit Mr. Piatt & maybe get a longer liner from TJ's. I can also hit quarter sized rocks at 75 yrds with my non regulated PCP's Everytime if I'm rested & eye on the gauge. I only have 6 rifles & really only shoot 4 a lot. My 2 tuned magnum spring guns are more back up just in case air supply goes down. I do shoot my 7ftlb tuned .177 carbine often. Heck I'd bet the car against most .22LR plinkers at the ranges 25 yards with that pellet rifle. 

As I already own five of these rifles, and hunting accuracy is no problem, I may or may not be purchasing a new rifle in the near future, but based upon this exercise, when I do, it will be factory regulated. The results simply have to be better in terms of consistency and group size.

I'm no expert, but I'll offer a couple of comments, based on recently installing a Huma regulator in my Daystate Regal. First, I believe your 200 bar regulated pressure is considerably high, probably something in the 160 range would have yielded a higher shot count with good accuracy. I had my regulator installed by a pro, because I had another issue with the rifle. In tuning the rifle, he adjusted the hammer spring, and changed the port size, both of which were needed to achieve an acceptable shot count and accuracy. This is an internal reg, so I lost some cylinder capacity, But, after tuning, the shot count is as good as before, and the sweet spot is larger, more consistent. This experience proved to me, as with most things, adding the reg is not quite as simple as it may appear. And I agree, a factory engineered and tuned regulator setup is preferred. 

Regulating the .25 without major changes to the valving will gain you nothing. The .22 and .177 can be set to give 20fpe or so with 10g-18g projectiles with a shot count of 60+. This does require balancing to factory valve and hammer but without having to open any ports. In my .177 S500 with the 231cc tube I have my regulator set to 90 bar and get 20fpe from 15.5g rounds for 80 shots. The SD is 2, ES less than 1(I forget the decimal number).

In my experience I have not seen my regulated airguns outshoot my unregulated airguns. I have shot sub 1/2moa groups with 2 different rifles at 50yds. One my .22 MMHF barreled Mrod which had a hill Valve and SSG unregulated which shot a .214ctc 5 shot group at 50yds with 4 going into the same pellet hole, and the other my .30 WARP which put 5 shots into the same hole at 55yds. Have shot many other sub MOA groups at 50yds from both unregulated and regulated airguns. 

If your in the guns sweet spot it won't make any difference in accuracy. However you can have more shots in that sweet spot when regulated which is more of a convenience knowing above your reg set point your great. But unregulated you have to really keep an eye on your pressure and limit shots. 

I actually pulled both the regs from my synrods (25 and 22) because I typically never shoot over 50 yards. It's more like 15 to 35 yards for me with 20 being a norm.

You might find this interesting though. I made a table from chairgun that was an eye opener for me and probably for anyone like me that's a backyard shooter up to 50 yards. I am pretty sure I punched the numbers right but you can check it out for yourself using chairgun.

I guess my point is, do you really think your accuracy will increase if your un-regulated 3% es tuned gun gets a regulator installed with a 1.5% ES when shooting 50 yards or less?

As mentioned above, I’ve had several unregulated guns, several reg’d guns and a couple electronic Daystates. My experience had proved without a shadow of a doubt there are no accuracy differences between regulated guns and properly tuned unregulated guns. I had an AZ tuned .25 Rapid MKII back in the day that was un-regulated and tuned to shoot 31 grain beeman Kodiaks 910 FPS. The rifle was an absolute hammer and could post 100 yard groups that would make many centerfire and rimfire rifle shooters jealous. I wish I still had a chrono string... it would stack pellets all the way up the bell curve and back down the other side . 

Another thing to consider is the how airgun ballistics relate to rimfire... March .22 ammo shoots around 1050-1100 FPS with a 40 grain bullet. I’ve done extensive testing with match .22 ammo by Eley, RWS and Lapua. I currently have a select lots of Eley Edge a s Eley March that shoots consistently sub 1” at 100 yards out of my custom shop Anschutz 1710 .22. I do most of my shooting with a labRadar set up to track the velocity of the lot according to the weather conditions. My findings.... Match .22 ammo that shoots sub 1” at 100 yards can have velocity fluctuations as high as 30-60 FPS depending on the ammo. A lot of people absolutely loose their minds when they look at the “curve” of their airgun’s shot string and see more than a 10-20 FPS spread. This will not do a whole lot to effect the accuracy potential of a rifle. Things like the quality of the barrel, pellet weight / deformities, weather, and the shooters true capability weigh in more than having a bitchen extreme spread of 5fps over a shot string. Last time I was out shooting my WAR Flex with the .30 cal barrel on, I wasn’t paying attention to the pressure gauge. I shot the rifle down to 120 bar (160 set reg pressure). The point of impact dropped a little bit the groups stayed as tight as ever. 

I guess my point is, do you really think your accuracy will increase if your un-regulated 3% es tuned gun gets a regulator installed with a 1.5% ES when shooting 50 yards or less?

Yes, if properly installed and tuned. The accuracy may be no better in terms of the before/after "best" groups, but, that is not the point. The number of shots you get that yield that level of accuracy should increase. If you have a sweet range of 20 shots unregulated, maybe you get 30-35 with the regulator. In terms of proportion, that's about what I experienced with adding a reg and tuning to my Daystate Regal. If you know about how many good shots you get unregulated, and have no need for more, then maybe the regulator is not for you. As with any addition, it adds a layer of complexity and potential failure. Personally, I think it's worth it.

What does that have to do with a low energy .177?

How does is not relate? The OP was lookin into how the extreme spread of velocity over the bell curve of an airgun impacts accuracy compared to a regulated gun. There are a lot of similarities between rimfire and even centerfire rifles to airguns. As we stretch out the potential of our airguns, whether it be a low energy .177 or a sledgehammer .357, there are tidbits of insight to be gained from the rest of the shooting world when it comes to ballistics a s accuracy expectations.