United States Marine Corps Birthday -247 years old and counting

247 years ago today the United , Marine Corps was founded in Tun Tavern and Marines have been drinking ever since.
41 years ago today, I became one of the Few and Proud, and on occasion have a drink - Tonight's selection will be a 15 year old McCallen Scotch for those that have come before me and another for those that are currently serving, and one more for those to come.

Full Metal Jacket - "Today, you people are no longer maggots. Today, you are Marines. You're part of a brotherhood. From now on until the day you die, wherever you are, every Marine is your brother. Most of you will go to Vietnam. Some of you will not come back. But always remember this: Marines die. That's what we're here for. But the Marine Corps lives forever. And that means YOU live forever

Semper Fi

Smitty
USMC '81 - '86

1668094376671.png

The oldest military companies in Denmark was founded in 1614 by the then Danish king Christian 4, these was infantry.
So in 2014 the Danish Army held its 400 year birthday

If you visit The Danish capitol, you can see many things this not terrible popular king build, when he got in power the country was well off and established ASO, when he left it was in a terrible mess.
After 1659 and the Swedes kicking our ass, Denmark almost seized to exist.

Over history Denmark and Sweden have been at war for +30 years,,,,,,, so if / when your country get to that, and it dont even have to be a single country,,,,, call us and lets talk old war stories around the campfire.

PS. I have no ides for how long in total we Danes have been at war, but safe to say a lot longer than 30 years, probably more like 50 years.

PPS: Regarding a navy you could argue Denmark had one way back to the viking age, but if you look at the modern Danish navy it was founded in 1510.

PPPS: The first mentioning of this place as Denmark / Danes, around the year 950.

Old Country wishing happy BD to the USMC

Reactions: Smitty911
Happy Birthday to the NAVY's crayon eating stepchild. Remember, one foot in front of the other.... 🤣
🤣🤣🤣
A guy I work with was in the Navy. He said in the Marine Corp, recruits were taught to wash their hands after going to the bathroom. He said in the Navy they were taught not to piss on their hands. 😂😂

🤣🤣🤣
A guy I work with was in the Navy. He said in the Marine Corp, recruits were taught to wash their hands after going to the bathroom. He said in the Navy they were taught not to piss on their hands. 😂😂

I love all you jarheads! Thanks for watching over us squids.

The NAVY is the only armed force that has a word for an overthrow of leadership. They also don't give squids guns for that very reason.

Reactions: L.Leon
🤣🤣🤣
Do you know why the Navy switched to liquid soap?
It took longer to pick up.:eek::oops::giggle:

It took 35 years of hearing Marine Corps and Navy jokes before I heard a new one. It was from a Coasty so there's that.

Do you know why the Navy has Marines on board ships?
Sheep were too obvious. HAHAHAHHAAHhj

Smitty

• Haha
Reactions: ButchS and rcs9250