• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Unexplained flyers, misses, and frustrated shooters. What happens?

This is a topic discussed quite often within the shooting sport whether it be air rifle, rimfire, centerfire, including shotguns etc. Here are some thoughts:

(disclaimer: I, by no means, claim to be an expert or do I think I know or have all the answers). 

With that said, I have learned a few things. I offer the following to hopefully help my fellow shooters. 

A little background. I actually started shooting at the age of four As did many other kids from my day. That would be 53 years ago at the time of this post.

It has been a lifelong passion after God and family.There’s nothing I enjoy more. I like all of the disciplines not just air rifles. I have participated in many competitions That being air rifle, rimfire, centerfire, shotgun, as well as pool haha (it’s still shooting !!😊

I have been fortunate enough to win at least some in all of the above and a lot in a few of them. 

I don’t mean for that to sound braggadocious but over the years I have researched, experimented, tested, and tried just about everything you can imagine. I’ve also had opportunity’s to visit with top shooters, world champions and Olympians from all over the world in the above mentioned disciplines. 

Unexplained flyers is a topic that has came up many times. 

Here some things I have learned. 

There are times when you just cannot explain what happened !!

With that said, there are many times that you can figure it out if you try hard enough. 

Here is one key. 

More often than not it will be a combination of factors. (Failing to realize that is a mistake).

Now, focusing on air rifles

Here’s a few examples:

Wind

Consistent Grip

Consistent eye alignment 

Consistent cheek weld

Consistent breathing technique

Consistent Trigger pull technique

Consistent wind read

Humidity

Heat 

Cold

Solid platform

Solid rest

Scope movement (loose screws,rings,rails,etc)

Scope parallax

Scope alignment 

Scope clarity 

Solid action to stock fit, attachment, and torque

Barrel harmonic interference

Barrel cleanliness

Barrel to projectile match (twist rate)

Barrel to projectile match (head size,design,etc)

Some barrels and pellets just don’t like each other. 

Consistent Projectile weight

Consistent Projectile head size

Consistent Projectile concentric’s

Consistent Projectile lubrication

Consistent Projectile cleanliness Consistent Projectile speed 

Projectile damage or imperfections 

I’m sure there’s some I’m forgetting and I’m sure there’s many I have not discovered. Since this is primarily a air rifle forum, I have also left out unrelated potential centerfire problems which would add close to that many more issues. 

More often than not shooters blame the wind for misses and it very well can be. 

But the truth is often that’s a cop out because we shooters either don’t realize, or don’t want to take the time and effort that it takes to figure out what else it may be.

That said with all of the above mentioned . It can often be a combination of one or many of these and failing to realize that is a mistake. Because it can result in a false positive or a false negative. Unchecked or unaddressed these can result in a person going around and around in circles. 

What to do?

First of all you’ve got to decide what your goal is. 

What do you want to accomplish?

What kind of shooting are you going to do?

How accurate do you need your gun to be?

If you’re going hunt, you don’t have to worry about many of the above mentioned possibilities. 

Figure out the average target size and distance.

Tweak your gun and projectile combination accordingly.

Practice and call it good. A 1 inch group at 100 yards is only one half inch at 50 yards and one quarter inch at 25 yards. 

That’s good enough for most hunting applications and overkill for many. 

Competition is another story. 

If you want to shoot as good as your natural ability allows, then one by one you have to eliminate all of the above mentioned possibilities. Start with the more simple ones and then advance to the more complex.

There are ways to figure out every thing mentioned. Many are simple. Others can be complex. But it can be done.

Wind conditions can be a double edged sword. You have to shoot in a windless condition (which is possible) to eliminate many of the above possibilities. But after that, if you don’t learn to read and practice in the wind, once everything else is eliminated. You will still not hit your target consistently.

Once you’ve Eliminated all the possibilities, you’ve got to practice, practice, practice. The fact is there is no substitute for it. 

The other advice I would offer is to enjoy!!

You can go overboard until your ready to pull your hair out. When it quits being fun, back off and give it a rest for a while, until it’s fun again. 

Here are a few center fire, and air rifle target pics I thought worth sharing 

8 shot group last week @ 100 yards using the FX I mpact 700 mm barrel
1596657643_15564782125f2b0feb15f400.68696375.jpeg

17 Hornet @ 3475 FPS 3&5 shot 100 yard groups. 
1596657692_2532097885f2b101cd96576.86427960.jpeg
1596657693_16979973855f2b101dbecee7.63096856.jpeg

65/284 @ 2980 FPS 3 shot groups from 200 yards to 722 in 100 yard increments in consecutive order as fast as I could reasonably shoot them

200 yard group 
1596657770_20580755685f2b106a20f2a2.33573309.jpeg

300 yard group the 3 on the right 
1596657770_15461881855f2b106ac87690.45693185.jpeg

400 yard group
1596657883_17017324395f2b10db87c084.29423993.jpeg

500 yard group
1596657928_21037063385f2b1108078331.15887880.jpeg

600 yard group
1596657969_15245020935f2b113135da44.44936443.jpeg

722 yard group
1596658077_8756284985f2b119d6436d9.28492018.jpeg

65/284 1204 yards 10 shot group in 10 to 15 mph wind on a 9x12 inch plate. (at this distance a 5mph missed wind call will miss the target 4 feet. 
1596658107_19243200225f2b11bb301b85.49481632.jpeg

My 2017 EBR day 2 target shot with my 30 cal. FX boss @ 75 yards with a score of 242. 
1596658191_16471475985f2b120f533a61.25393289.jpeg

I know I haven’t thought of everything, please feel free to share your thoughts. I always want to learn more as well.

I hope you find this helpful. 

DL

Reactions: oledawg
We do not live in a perfect world ! And if we did life would be boring, the gun weather wind and environmental change not to mention our self just to name a few things. I shoot daily some times several times a day and there’s a difference between mornings afternoon and evenings. I feel most of the time I am the problem and that is why I shoot 30-50 round groups to tell me what is really going on. I do not think much of 3&5 shot groups, sometimes I think people only want me to see the best instead of the reality of what is going on overall. That’s why I only show 30-50 shot groups.

That's it, I've had it, I'm selling all my guns. JK.

I actually did sell the ones that didn't "do it" for me.

It's been a lifelong endeavor and was fun trying all those different guns out. I learned a lot along the way. 

DL, 12 years ago I bought my first long range rifle, it was a 6.5-284 also, and I used to shoot the Berger 140 vld in it. With it I got the high score in our annual local 1000Y match, which is a fond memory!

Nice score on that 75Y!

I get it...some pellet golem knocks them off course. =)

I ordered a 2400 KT (.177) from Crosman with the LW barrel. Converted it to a 2260 on hpa and was frustrated. Using Crosman ammo to sight it in...would throw a flier every few shots. like a1" wide flier. Changed over to jsb and AA 8.4 and never had a flier again. Definitely the ammo. Still...makes you ask what causes that.

Thanks for a great post. As a benchrest shooter in training, thank you for listing all those things I needed to consider. I read through them several times and I think I have thought about each one but have never made a list nor a plan of attach. I appreciate you sharing you knowledge and experience it’s always great to learn thing. 

Thanks DLFant, when I first saw how long your post or thread was, I said wow because it thought I was very wordy or long winded. Personally, I found your post to be very informative and knowledgeable with all things considered. I do appreciate how you've taken the time in sharing your experiences with your passion and I took the time and read your entire thread. So, thank you once again for sharing.

Nice write up and awesome shooting... most of the time when something goes amiss in my groups. I know it’s me, on a rare occasion I’ll get a genuine flyers. Being consistent across the board is difficult, I like to shoot for fun and relaxation. So I don’t believe I’ll ever be a good bench rest shooter.

ditto. i shoot and hunt for fun. worrying about a flier here and there would take the fun out of it. a guy could go nuts trying to be perfect.

I've been involved in the shooting sports for more than fifty years, rifle, handgun, air rifle, shotgun. About 20 of those years involved rimfire and centerfire BR competition. The nuances involved, and the time and dedication required to be accomplished at a high level are almost beyond belief, certainly beyond description. Centerfire BR finally got to the point that the time and tedium of preparation was too much like work. With a good bit of my hearing gone, I now enjoy air rifle and rimfire almost exclusively. If you enjoy the search for perfection, then by all means search out the villains that throw that flyer. Weigh and measure everything. One thing is for sure, you will not succeed, but, you may get close, and that's all you can hope. Me, I'll continue to push pellets of imperfect shape and weight, often at unknown velocities, all at practice paper or plinking targets. I'll hit some, shoot a few good groups, and maybe generate a fair score, if I were to take the time to keep score. And as my then 8 year old son told me many years ago, if I get frustrated, I just need a bigger target!