• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Underlevers: Kral N-08 vs. Chinese QB36-2 (Haemmerli 900): any good ?

I want an underlever springer to achieve PCP accuracy for hunting, but without the cost and pumping hassle. 

Unable to find any meaningful reviews on the cheapo Kral N-08. All I know is that I have been positively surprised, many times over, by the impressive build + accuracy of the more recent Kral PCPs -- all at a very compelling price. And, the Kral N-01 break barrel with walnut stock is a real jewel.

So how about this Kral underlever? Build quality, power, accuracy, ease of use -- any good?

Thanks for sharing yar experience.

Meanwhile, here is a quick view of my newly tuned & polished Chinese B3-4. Low cost, relatively low power (10j), but high accuracy & fun factor. It loves pigeons too (the love is unrequited, sadly).

IMG_20210421_003746.1620336774.jpg

🐦

Thanks!

Well, I started by stripping the orange-brown varnish off, easy enough. Then sanded with 320 grain. (First took off some wood with my band sander to slim down the meaty pistol grip and improve my trigger reach). Then stained the wood with a home made concoction extracted from crushed black walnut casings mixed with water -- any commercial stain will do as well. Then sanded again with fine grain and applied 10 coats of boiled linseed oil over several days. Also applied a coat of beeswax and topped it off with some Ballistol. No rocket science ... 

Also got lucky with the wood grain, every piece is different of course. Plus got lucky with the wood. There is a lot of talk about pallet wood but I wasn't sure of the exact species until I had stripped it and recognized the poplar. Poplar, just like walnut, is a closed grain wood so the structure and look are actually quite similar.

Could not resist doing it again afterwards with a B2 break barrel -- Diana 25 copy with barrel lock. Cheap as chips, love the thing ... See (mediocre quality, sorry ...) pic below. Keeps me out of trouble !

1620419710106-1679295318.1620419776.jpg

🐦

My Kral N-08 underlever (also called Demon) arrived today. I was expecting another underrated gun but was sadly mistaken.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from this poorly designed and shoddily executed POS. The rotating breech in my 0.177 does not line up with the barrel and it leaks air. Result: ridiculous muzzle velocity (100m/sec or about 3.5 joule!!) and horrible accuracy because pellets are clipped. Taking it apart is tricky because the 2 front screws attaching the action into the stock are hidden behind stipling strips that are hard to remove. The design also makes it difficult to clean the barrel. The cocking lever has play and is rather flimsy. And the stock ? A far cry from the walnut Kral is known for. This one is some of the cheapest hollow plastic I have yet encountered. It does not lend any balance to the gun and makes every shot resonate.

Kral has some nice guns (I have 6 Kral PCPs and 1 N-01 break barrel, all nice) but this is not one of them. It easily ranks as the most disappointing airgun I have yet acquired. It is not worth trying to sort out either, it's going back. If you want a cheap but decent underlever, get a Chinese B3-3 or B3-4 any day. Those are honest guns, not the highest power maybe but a consistent 210m/sec in .177 -- and accurate! Plus, they cost half of this useless concoction. 

🐦

England or Germany for Air guns.

All the rest are copiers trying to make money on the US dollar.

Most definitely true, when looking for quality out of the box. Yet the premium PCP world also counts worthy members from Czech, Russia, Ukraine, Slovenia and Sweden of course.

But the up and coming countries are increasingly hard to resist -- because I am a tinkerer !! Nothing much more gratifying than lick a $50 poorly finished China springer with pretty good components into shape. Then see that pellet leave the muzzle, after smooth cocking and a gentle pull on the newly light trigger -- inexorably on its way to that feral pigeon whose dung is again caking up my window sill and the windows and walls around it.

🐦

Thanks for the update, Parrotculler. You have done the community a service. Haven’t seen any details on that rotating breech but is it similar to the BSA/Gamo design on the Polaris and CFX? Not the most efficient design but nice not to have to stick your thumb in front of a spring-loaded compression tube.

tinker

Yeah, it's a copy of those. I don't own them, but BB Pelletier had good things to say about the CFX. I was hoping for a competent Turkish copy but no such luck. The hollow stock of this Kral amplifies the report like the box of a violin (only the sound is less attractive). And the rotating pellet loading piece is kept in place by a spring loaded pin -- at the cost of a 1mm hole thru which the air escapes with a deafening release.

I do admit to some nervousness about the sliding breech concept in the HW77 and other underlevers. But even the b3s now have a pretty good anti bear trap. Plus I religiously hold that cocking lever when loading ...

I am now eyeing a Chinese QB-36-2FC (aka Haemmerli Hunter Force 900 ... ) Would also be interested in views about the Hatsan Torpedo underlever.

🐦

Update on the QB36-2. I just got this underlever in .22. The Haemmerli branded combo version (incl good quality scope) is 50% more expensive and it only comes in .177. Reading some reviews, and looking at the power and weight, the .22 is superior. It is also in a totally different class than its poor Kral cousin.

This is not a new model. It was already discussed in BB Pelletier's blog in 2008 I believe. Well, this is a superior gun. Nicely balanced and with adequate weight (not a light weight by the way ... ) A very good looking, well built and consistent shooter. After removing the TP restraining washer from behind the breech seal it shoots the JSB 1.03 gram Jumbos at a healthy 217m/sec. Little recoil, low muzzle report.

The dark stained beech stock has a nice grain, well executed stipling, and it is well finished. Ambidextrous. A grown up gun. The components are excellent quality steel. The bluing is a rather matte black. Perfectly acceptable -- understated/good looking in fact.

The two-stage trigger is not adjustable but best in class predictable and medium light. I polished the contact points (on the seer only). The trigger group design is simple, but a bit tricky. Another reviewer has rightly warned to clearly map it out before any further disassembly.

The gun did not diesel but it had a mild metallic reverberation upon release -- might have been the 2 springs on the anti-beartrap. Plus the cocking lever had a burr on the pivoting bracket pushing it a couple cm out of alignment when closing.

So I took it apart. The piston and sliding breech are impeccably executed, except for the roughly machined cocking shoe and slot. Finished those with 1000 grain sandpaper. De-burred and straightened the cocking lever, shimmed it with .2mm steel washers. Also polished both ends of the good quality spring. I also applied a sheet of pepsi can to sleeve the spring guide. Plus greased the cocking lever (where it slides over the cylinder) and the 2 anti-beartrap springs, all with lithium grease. The piston seal being perfectly untarnished did not need touching. It makes a satisfyingly smooth pneumatic sound when cocking. I also polished the conical breech to take off the rather sharp edge in order to load pellets more easily. Lapped the barrel to remove the usual gunk. The crown looked fine but I polished it anyway.

I like the 2 safety levers next to the trigger, and the superior quality metal open sights too. Still, despite the trust- inspiring build of this beauty, always hold the cocking lever when chambering a pellet!

Accuracy? Not yet tested due to persistent rain. But the consistency, the nicely rifled barrel, and the fine trigger bode very well. The gun discharges with a nice thud -- no twang whatsoever.

This would still rank as an amazing quality & value hunting gun even for twice the price. I'm probably gonna fetch another one while I can. Pigeons beware ...

IMG_4198.1622072663.jpg
IMG_4197.1622072663.jpg

🐦