N/A Underlever Fever

TheBrickyardKid: it's pretty handsome if you ask me, and just has "It"...

When you handle one, you can tell that the people at M&G were proud of these rifles.
For example, even the inside of the cocking lever is checkered, and the checkering is perfectly deep but not sharp, so as to be gentle on your hands over time.

If I come across a really nice one, it may well come with me. If not, I'll be quite happy with the one I have. Well, after I finish shooting the excess neatsfoot oil out of mine... I simply added too much about 2 weeks ago. Hopefully the seal has absorbed whatever oil I couldn't shoot out... doh! 😖

Another pic, just because there are so few around...

Screenshot_20240330_160211_Gallery.jpg

patrikky. Member. Dec 30, 2023

"I have a diana 50 that I find to be a nice rifle"

Patrikky - I agree!

I have just recently stumbled into these rifles, mine being an early "original" version (but not an "Original" if you know what I mean) in.177. They have a look and feel that I only find in old Diana's, and I am a big fan.

From what I've read, it shares its powerplant with the early Diana 45, although there must be some difference as the cocking lever of the 50 travels much further than that of my D45. In fact, mine may be old enough to have the non-unitized 3-ball sear trigger. The trigger is truly excellent - consistent, reliable, and of a safe pull weight while being perfectly "shootable". I can't say that it's as good as a T06 or a Rekord, but it's close and that's without making any adjustments. It will spoil you...

I am tremendously pleased with this rifle. It is made to a high quality standard, and I say this as an ex-Toolmaker. It has seen plenty of use and still operates beautifully, moving parts were fit properly (almost certainly by hand) and remain tight. The tap is especially well fit and still (!) has an airtight seal even though it has clearly seen many, many years of use.

My rifle is very accurate, and I'm confident that they all are. Mine is a 50a, which means the front and rear sights each have 4 posts or notches making for 16 different combinations.
My old eyes talked me into finding a scope for this fine rifle, but I did not want to mount anything modern and ruin the classic vibe. I was able to turn up an old straight tube, blue steel Weaver 3X, and I feel that it is a very good match for the rifle. It may have little magnification and be lacking AO, but it has good glass, a duplex reticle giving me 2 distinct points of aim and a very good depth of field that keeps nearly everything in focus. Looks good too, IMO.

Even with its short underlever, which is neatly made (possibly draw filed by hand against a hardened jig) to follow the contours of the Schnabel forend, it is easy to cock. And nearly silent, even though I suspect the spring is original and, if so, must have been through many thousands of cocking cycles.

Balance/weight distribution is excellent, and in my hands it feels lighter than other rifles of similar weight. It shoulders naturally, and did not seem to be very hold sensitive but that should truly be tested before I make any claims.

This rifle has quickly leapfrogged some other excellent rifles in my collection to become one of my true favorites. If anyone finds a good one like mine for sale, I suggest you go for it!

View attachment 457837
Your model 50/a, with the cool "star" rotating front sight, is of 1960-ish vintage and definitely has the classic ball-sear trigger. Aft of the breech, it shares most parts with the Diana 35 barrel cocker.

The later model 50 T01 is a more powerful gun based on the model 45 barrel cocker. The visual cues are the through-stock bolt over the trigger, cocking lever extending beyond the stock fore end, and push-in safety at the back.

Last edited:
Apologies if I came off as a pedantic twit! I have a thing for older Dianas, and do enjoy an excuse to impose a llttle airgun history trivia on y'all.

I have a couple of those older 50's, they are really treasures and IMHO quite underrated as collectibles. I owned a 50 T01 for a bit, and wish I'd held on to it - very likely the hardest-shooting underlever tap-loader that's ever existed.
IMG_4698.jpeg