• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Unbiased review of the new Vector Optics Continental 5-30x56FFP scope!

Not true I went on the Vector Optics and it DOES NOT SAY GERMAN SCHOTT glass on the other older lower level Continental lines, they only say German Schott glass on the new 34mm Continental. The other Continentals are SFP just like the scopes you are pushing onto everyone.

You buying one of the two low priced scopes you push actually makes more sense that you are representing those companies in some way as no one other than someone with skin in the game would do that.

You loose total credibility to me by negatively saying things about Cyclops, Joe Rhea as he is one of the few people whom give true reviews and does not hide behind an alias as you do. It takes many many hours to create a video review so if he sells a donated scope he is not making any real money on his efforts. He is a retired gun lover that provides valuable, honest, NO BS reviews. 

@Primaz. I never said the 30mm version is the same as the 34 minus 4 mm. I sincerely hope for your it is not.

I bought my 30MM directly from Vector 3months ago, and yes it also supposedly has German 'Schott' glass.

But hey, look here:

https://wftc2019.com/wftc2019_pcp_results/

Must Sighttron, Nikko, also a lot of S&B. Not a single Vector.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/03/03/long-range-scopes-pros-use/

Also, not a single Vector.

Not to mention all government employed precision shooters from all over the world, they mostly use the brands with a K,S or a Z that Joe hates so much. Even the Chinese army uses Kahles...

Are they all crazy? They should have listened to Joe and saved hundreds if not thousands...

For round round about $1000, I would get a Sighttron. Just my two 2 c.

Blackthunder,

Vector Optics older Continental lines are the Continental Tactical and the Continental Hunting. Both of those lines DO NOT SAY "GERMAN SCHOTT GLASS", what they do say is "German Optical System". Only the new 34mm Continental line specifically say "German Schott Glass". I have read the details and clearly you did not.

Also as I said I am only considering FFP scopes. The older Continental scope lines are all SFP just like the two SFP scopes that "Yo" and "Odoyle" whom are highly likely the same person.

I am just a average guy whom likes air rifles to target and hunt. Why would I then be in the market for a Tier 1 scopes that are all over $3K? All "Yo" and "Odoyle" do is promote the same lesser known brands that have virtually no online specifications of any details which then lend themselves to have someone promote them via an alias and other than the $200-$399 scopes they push the only other scopes they say are good are Tier 1 scopes. Joe Rhea has reviewed Tier 1 scopes and many scopes and any real person can see that his reviews are honest.

If you read what my requirements are of FFP, 10 yard parallax, high magnification of 30x, 56mm, 34mm, then you can see that the Sightron does not work as they make 4 models in their SIII First Focal Plan line and all of them have a parallax of 40 yards and the rest of their scopes are SFP. When you search scopes there are very few that have a 27-30x magnification that are FFP and can have a parallax of 10 yards in any price range and what is available are either low end scopes or a few Tier 1's that are $2-$4K. Thus for my needs the Vector Optics 34mm Continental 5-30x56FFP fits the bill. I am not a field target person whom is ok with a SFP and only shooting long range so none of what you said matches my desires.

Everyone has a budget and features they desire, right?!

The ones Yodoyle suggest might be great for many that want to stay within that price constraint and that's fine for them.

On the other hand this VOC 5-30x56 sure checks a lot of boxes in the features department, ESPECIALLY the reticle! As long as the lines on the turrets line up with the housing and the glass is decent, as well as the tracking working well, for the $$$ it should be a fantastic option! Heck I'd buy one. I applaud your choice primaz, you did your research and are now enjoying the benefits!

I stretch my budget when looking at different scopes personally. This is one I'd stretch it for. Heck I might just sell a couple Athlon Argos 6-24's to get into one.

That's coming from a guy who has S&B and March. Just got in my March HM 5-42x56 yesterday, yep sort of scope snob here but life is short and these turn my crank so....

I get your point. But bear in mind that Joe spends a few hours with a scope. Match shooters; long range (fire and air), hft etc spend many hours a week with their scopes. To me, the fact that match shooters lean towards certain brands is much more telling than a YouTuber that does a video.

The 800-1000 price range is dominated by Nikko Stirling, Sighttron, Leupold / Burris, Vortex etc. Not Vector. I bought my Vector out of curiosity, after hearing so much good about them. I have a Bushnell and two Burris scopes in the same price range as my Vector and the built quality is that much better.

I am sure that Joe wants to help people with his channel and enjoys doing it, but I do believe for one second that he is 100% altruistic and there is nothing for him it.

I get your point. But bear in mind that Joe spends a few hours with a scope. Match shooters; long range (fire and air), hft etc spend many hours a week with their scopes. To me, the fact that match shooters lean towards certain brands is much more telling than a YouTuber that does a video.

The 800-1000 price range is dominated by Nikko Stirling, Sighttron, Leupold / Burris, Vortex etc. Not Vector. I bought my Vector out of curiosity, after hearing so much good about them. I have a Bushnell and two Burris scopes in the same price range as my Vector and the built quality is that much better.

I am sure that Joe wants to help people with his channel and enjoys doing it, but I do believe for one second that he is 100% altruistic and there is nothing for him it.

But match shooters are fine with SFP and not FFP. Check the specs of what match shooters shooting long range paper and you will see most are all SFP scopes and they rarely will have a 10 yard parallax. Their needs are very tailored for their use. I and others are looking for a FFP scope with 10 yard parallax with 27-30X magnification. Match shooters are a good group when you are looking for a SFP scope that does not need to have a 10 yard parallax but that is NOT my desire thus has no bearing on the scopes I have been reviewing and why I bought the Vector Optics 34mm Continental 5-30x56 FFP scope.

Joe is a straight shooter and tells it like it is. He is the most unbiased person I have seen on Youtube and here on the forums. Others are Youtube are really doing product promotions where they get paid so they will always say good things. Joe has said many times when scopes suck or not worth the money. He is also showing his face, his real name and not hiding behind an non real name on a forum where you are completely protected as your identity is unknown. I do know that he does get paid by sponsors so what little he makes with donated scopes is a pittance and that is a key aspect of why he just tells it like it is as he is not a paid spokesperson.

Hmmm somebody sent me a link to this thread . Not interested in getting drug into this . But I will say this . I have Never taken a dime from anyone for a review . I have 2 affiliate links with Arken and Blackhound. And anyone who has every reached out to me to ask opinions on optics I tell them that upfront everytime , and I mention it in any video I do with one of those brands scopes , and it doesn't influence my opinions believe it or not . It's not enough money to lie and try and cheat folks over . And I'm proud to be an affiliate for both those companies. 

I like Zeiss , SB , Kahles and a ton of other great scope makers products ..But not everyone can afford those . And there are a lot of great options out there .

For what it's worth ...Every single scope I give away I could sell and just pocket the money . But it takes a lotta guys to make a channel grow , I feel like it's the least I can do to let others have a shot at a scope that was donated to my channel ( Without Pay ) or prior expectations. Every review I do I tell the company ..the Optics gets you a review ...My opinion isn't for sale . 

Maybe before making any insights into my motives . Ask any of the guys at the events I attend about the Thousands of dollars worth of door prizes I have won and given away ,the rifles I shoot with and give away after the shoot to a kid , the scopes I bring and try to make sure a shooter who needs a scope gets it with no fanfare , buying airguns and pellets and giving them away at airgun shows , the fund raisers I do for folks , or the time I take to answer questions when guys email me or text for advice . 

If you don't know me , ask don't guess . Maybe ....just maybe , there are folks who just want to try and be generous and help folks . Money isn't everything. And not everyone has an hiden agenda . 

Reactions: Mr.H
Thanks for showing up Joe. I totally agree toy are one if the most generous guys out there since the Compressor you gave away. 

How does the $800 Vector 34mm compare to the other Vector scopes you reviewed in the past that cost less than half the price? 

Is it crystal clear at 30x or does it get dark and hazy at a lower than 30x magnification? 

How does it compare optically to a Meopta Optika6 in around its price range? (Meopta is actually a little cheaper).

I buy lots of scopes and return a lot too that aren't clear all the way. 

BTW thanks for the assist with Bighun.

“Buy it since its got Joe Wayne Rhea Cyclops reputation and approval on it then post a review on your own here since you own other scopes to compare it too and you are actually buying it with your own hard earned money.“

I do enjoy Joe W’s optic reviews and I believe I’ve watched nearly all of them... I really like his “NO BS” attitude and he seems like he would make for an awesome neighbor too!! 
With that said, I also remember him being a huge life-long? (IIRC) Bushnell fan as well, and after hearing that he lost a bit of credibility with me.. now that’s just MY personal opinion. Sorry Joe! No offense intended bro! Lately I am more diligent in forming my own personal opinions regarding optics quality. Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy every one of Joe’s “I’m not going to F’ you over with another boring unboxing video”.... 🤣 .. but I always keep in mind that they (along with any other videos I may watch) are the opinion of a single person, who’s view I may not completely agree with.

Moral of the story is to go ahead and feel free to form your own opinions, and please do share them with the rest of us wether we agree or not, and be thankful that we live in such an age that our airgunning hobby is exploding with new development

@JoeWayneRhea

Nicely said and keep up the good work 

@primaz 

You've been wanting this scope for ages and it looks like you've pretty much made up your mind, so go for it and enjoy. Our opinions and/or approval mean nothing.

At this point only once you get it and use it for a while will you really know if it's all you're clearly hoping it will be. Nobody and no review can 100% guarantee that something as loaded with personal preference as a scope is, will be for you.

All reviews, however unbiased are inevitably colored by the preferences of the reviewer and how his MK1 eyeballs view the world. Just look at the Leica vs Swarovski vs Zeiss binocular debates that will never end, with each guy firmly believing his choice is clearly the best, if only everyone else would just wake up 🤷‍♂️

I look forward to hearing your experiences with this one. It could have the potential to be a really good buy and maybe compete with the Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56 ffp.

@JoeWayneRhea

Nicely said and keep up the good work 

@primaz 

You've been wanting this scope for ages and it looks like you've pretty much made up your mind, so go for it and enjoy. Our opinions and/or approval mean nothing.

At this point only once you get it and use it for a while will you really know if it's all you're clearly hoping it will be. Nobody and no review can 100% guarantee that something as loaded with personal preference as a scope is, will be for you.

All reviews, however unbiased are inevitably colored by the preferences of the reviewer and how his MK1 eyeballs view the world. Just look at the Leica vs Swarovski vs Zeiss binocular debates that will never end, with each guy firmly believing his choice is clearly the best, if only everyone else would just wake up 🤷‍♂️

I look forward to hearing your experiences with this one. It could have the potential to be a really good buy and maybe compete with the Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56 ffp.

Marcos,

You are absolutely right, all I can do is try to do enough research and ultimately make my own call. The Meopta Optika 6 & the Athlon ARES BTR Gen2 were also on my list and one of the things that I did not like was the 25 yard parallax, both are good scopes as well from doing my own research and one is $50 bucks and the other is $99 more but hopefully I will be happy with the Vector Optics 34mm which will go onto my FX Impact X .357 I will post my personal thoughts afterwards.

Haha yes UTG SUCKS and yes I am a fan, lol. Anyone ever pick a loser but just stick with it for an unknown reason? Compared to Leupold, UTG is meh, but I still like it, just like my cheap cigars. I guess like the above said, preference. As for the hostility above, let’s just get whatever scopes we want. Sucky UTG for me, awesome ones for you guys: win-win right?

Greetings from Czechia guys,

first of all I tend not participate in internet discussions overall, especially in this kind of threads with that negativism, critics, and, sorry, but sometimes paranoia-like thinking, but I decided to write "something" here. Next cause is of bad English ofc (sorry for that), the last, but not least - believe or not, I'm not paid by Joe or anyone else, I'm a general surgeon living in Czechia, Europe, shooting is basically my hobby which I love. I'm absolutely not competition shooter, ex army, "pro" and so on. But financials, availability and range of products, warranty etc etc, can't be compared with USA at any level. So put in context - I really appreciate his attitude and idea at this side - not everybody can affort or want to (even with not really being limited by budget) spend thousands for expensive, "classy" stuff, which ofc is top regarding quality and specs what you are able to get, but as with everything, considerable ammout of that money is paid just for "brand", not according to technical side of things and so on. I just wanted to put it in a whole context (with my opinion about the scope below) not biasing with unnecesarry facts. I do believe It's logical that I could not write this intentionally for some kind of profit. 

But to the point. I own a couple of Vector scopes, but talking about every each one is redundant here - can't complain about anything serious basically on this price level, and I do think It's significantly better than similar stuff. Recently, I switched from Continental 5-30x56 30 mm to 34 mm and It has made a huge difference (clarity, glass quality and field of view, FFP, turrets, reticle,...). I don't want to be more specific and write a "review" - basically everything is mentioned and well-explained in the youtube reviews and most important - It's the way how it performs (or not) in reality, no fabulations, conspirations, sponsorship influence (don't know how to describe it properly sorry) I could see there. Maybe I'm naive, maybe not, but It makes sense to me and works on range, but It's just my personal subjective opinion tho.

As I said, I'm not "Pro" in weapons and optics, nor good english speaker so be tollerant please,with my amateur effort to explain. At the same time I had Vortex Viper PST, first gen., 6-24x50 to just generally compare it with. Ofc It's 30 mm, ofc It's lower magnification, not a new gen.and so on, (I have also Falke german riflescope on Schmeisser AR15, Hensoldt ZF24 original military scope on HK G3, had Strike Eagle on my first AR15, seen through top end scopes of some of my friends doin hunting...) - just to say It's not the first optics I'm using or seeing through) but - for the price, purpose and regarding all the facts, Vector optics and especially the one we are talking about is definitelly worth it and I'm 100% satisfied with this specific scope at its price range and even more. So I can't have basically any comments or objections against to what Joe said in video. I really appreciate his reviews and I'm glad for those! Thank you.

T.