• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Umarex Umarex Notos Moderator Removal

I chuck up the barrel in the lathe and use a carbide insert for aluminum, measure 5.5" back from the front of the moderator and make passes until I hit the 2 clips, I then just break the last few thousandths of plastic off and put the saved housing aside.

I then change tooling and use an insert for hardened steel and cut the clips off, clean up the barrel end, rtc.

Remove the barrel and chuck up the front of the moderator and face the back I cut off, shape it as needed and drill it out with a 29/64" drill bit, blow it out, chuck up a 1/2"-20 UNF tap and run her in!
Pretty amazing…. Excellent work as per usual Firewalker

Does anybody know if there is a youtube video of somebody removing it just using tools the average guy would have?
Hacksaws, wrenches, a drill motor, maybe a vice of some sort?
If you don't want to save the front part of the moderator I used a angle grinder with a flap disc. I ground it down behind the 5-1/2" mark then used a hacksaw to cut a groove all the way around. I put it in a vise and the twisted the muzzle end and it came right off. That left the little piece to deal with. I cut slots in it with a hacksaw and carefully drove a screwdriver in and twisted until plastic broke. It took me about 30 to 45 minutes to have it completely off

Reactions: Dogowsky
If you don't want to save the front part of the moderator I used an angle grinder with a flap disc. I ground it down behind the 5-1/2" mark then used a hacksaw to cut a groove all the way around. I put it in a vise and the twisted the muzzle end and it came right off. That left the little piece to deal with. I cut slots in it with a hacksaw and carefully drove a screwdriver in and twisted until plastic broke. It took me about 30 to 45 minutes to have it completely off
Where are you measuring the 5 1/2 inch mark from? And thank you for your help.

Redcorn Outdoors has invented a slip on mod for the Notos moderator that wraps around it and secures both halves together with screws that are included takes 5 minutes to install or less. Just search for his sales site on eBay to take you there. I went with the Terminator Outdoors eBay mod under seller Dadr. You turn the rifle over and drive the two pins out of the factory moderator then pull the red baffle out and slide his mod in and line up the pin holes and insert them back in from the top and drive them back in place. It's whisper quiet and works amazing!

Reactions: Firewalker
Keeping with the OP but a little further in, is the removal of the housing, adding the ebay plenum kit and reusing the OEM moderator (very good noise reduction) for better functionality.

View attachment 402937

I've abandoned this process. The plenum is now a Gen ll black anodized unit and the barrel is now threaded to 1/2X20 UNF so that the moderator can be directly attached without the need for adapters.

Redcorn Outdoors has invented a slip on mod for the Notos moderator that wraps around it and secures both halves together with screws that are included takes 5 minutes to install or less. Just search for his sales site on eBay to take you there. I went with the Terminator Outdoors eBay mod under seller Dadr. You turn the rifle over and drive the two pins out of the factory moderator then pull the red baffle out and slide his mod in and line up the pin holes and insert them back in from the top and drive them back in place. It's whisper quiet and works amazing!

I've decided to leave the suppressor on and dial back the hammer spring.
And maybe go with a heavier pellet. It should temper the sharp higher pitch.
Since I bought a .30 cal Maverick I haven't felt the need to make the Notos reach out as far.
The Notos is my 40 yard gun and the Maverick is for everything beyond.

I got some great groups with the FX barrel kit yesterday but the wind was brutal all day so groups were mostly a horizontal line as gusts pulled them to the side.

This 30y target with JTS 18.1gr pellets was one. Still some horizontal stringing but not as bad as others. The target red dot is 1/2".

I'll have to try another day when it's calm as I saw some groupings that were encouraging but you could see the wind pull them several inches to the right at 100y.

More later.
20240421_144358.jpg

Last edited:

That's pretty cool! I'll have to look it up.

I'm using the Subscriber designed one that installs the same way. Also whisper quiet!

Looks like he has a bunch of furniture for airguns as well!

Last edited: