Umarex Umarex Notos Moderator Removal

It’s held on to the barrel by 2 clips that are molded into the plastic of the mod. You would need to carefully cut it off to remove. If you wanted a mod after that, you would need to buy an adapter from donnyfl that fits the barrel and clamps down on it to give you 1/2-20unf threads for you choice of mod. OR, send it off the @Firewalker and he rethreads the barrel for you, and also addresses the crown to make it useable with a moderator without the adapter. More like the pp750 sister.

the pins insert from the top to bottom. the top of the pin is knurled and the plastic from the moderator tube can be slightly over-molded to lock the pin in place. you can use a hobby knife or razor blade to remove any bit up the plastic above and around the pin to give it clearance to back out.
that’s a 1/16 hex bit to push or tap out the pins. tap from the bottom (non-knurled) of the pins. you can also use an automatic center punch to back out the pins.

DD6A34CF-A4D8-4B39-8C50-FE5F50F7BE39.jpeg

Does anyone know how to remove the moderator from a Notos ?
This is the kit you will need if you remove the moderator.
If you don't use this there will be nothing to hold the barrel shroud in place.
Walnut and steel has a good video on YouTube on its install.

Would the Donny Tanto or FX moderator be a significant improvement db wise over the stock system?
I just ordered a Notos & am considering that plenum kit from Ebay since I already have the stock M3 moderator i'm no longer using.
Wow! Is the Notos .22 THAT loud at a maximum of 700fps using a 12 grain pellet that it needs a moderator? Or are you simply looking to moderate it more after modifying it to shoot at higher velocity/heavier pellets?

I ask because I have seen prices on a Notos recently that caught my interest, but not if it needs a moderator at OOTB velocities. It would be used for close range pesting in an urban environment where some neighbors are cool with it, but most houses are rentals and change occupants frequently. (heavy sigh)

Thanks!

All my best!

Kerry

Max Velocity700 fps
Overall Length34.0"
ButtplateRubber
FunctionRepeater
Weight4.0 lbs
ScopeableWeaver/Picatinny
SafetyManual
Suggested forSmall game hunting/target practice
Caliber.22 (5.5mm)
Muzzle Energy13 ft/lbs
Loudness3-Medium
Barrel Length11.75"
Shot Capacity7
BarrelRifled
Front Sightnone
Rear Sightnone
ActionSidelever
PowerplantPre-charged pneumatic
Max Shots per Fill21
Body TypeRifle
Cylinder Size66 cc
ShroudedYes
Operating Pressure3625 PSI / 250 BAR

Those #'s aren't right ask anyone with a stock Notos and a chronograph, not sure why Umarex told retailers to use those #'s I got over 760 average using 14.3 CPHPs out of the box that was with it ~1.5 turns in for hammer spring and it can do more.

The Notos has a built in moderator that's not threaded it is literally molded onto snap rings that are in grooves on the muzzle end of the barrel. The built in mod has actual baffles you can remove by taking 2 pins out and the cap comes off then the red baffles it is a 2 piece thing that slips out the front.

Yes. The Notos needs a mod without it it is loud. But I was very surprised at how quiet it is from the factory! I just wanted to do the plenum and that requires you to remove the oem moderator and then the plenum kit has a threaded end cap/shroud retainer and then you screw on a moderator. I currently have the Buck Rail non tapered on mine and it works well. If I shoot without it... neighbors definitely know. Like a .22 LR going off.

You really should get a Notos! It's such an awesome pcp! And now is the perfect time there is 20% coupons for both AGD and Pyramyd for Umarex products. If you keep everything stock you will still love it but I'd recommend getting CARM magazines, the 12 shot hi cap ones are great!

Reactions: nobody1
Those #'s aren't right ask anyone with a stock Notos and a chronograph, not sure why Umarex told retailers to use those #'s I got over 760 average using 14.3 CPHPs out of the box that was with it ~1.5 turns in for hammer spring and it can do more.

The Notos has a built in moderator that's not threaded it is literally molded onto snap rings that are in grooves on the muzzle end of the barrel. The built in mod has actual baffles you can remove by taking 2 pins out and the cap comes off then the red baffles it is a 2 piece thing that slips out the front.

Yes. The Notos needs a mod without it it is loud. But I was very surprised at how quiet it is from the factory! I just wanted to do the plenum and that requires you to remove the oem moderator and then the plenum kit has a threaded end cap/shroud retainer and then you screw on a moderator. I currently have the Buck Rail non tapered on mine and it works well. If I shoot without it... neighbors definitely know. Like a .22 LR going off.

You really should get a Notos! It's such an awesome pcp! And now is the perfect time there is 20% coupons for both AGD and Pyramyd for Umarex products. If you keep everything stock you will still love it but I'd recommend getting CARM magazines, the 12 shot hi cap ones are great!
Thanks for the info! I am sure that it is capable of more than the 700fps OOTB that PA claims, but that QUIET thing I require isn't there. There is a lot of hype on AGN about the Notos and that also keeps me away. Usually, that much hype is from the modders. Not from the stock gun, IMHO. Note that I did say that is In My Humble Opinion. But that is based on observation, if not experience, reading these forums.

Anyway, even at the lowest price of close to $200 that I have seen, NEW, I will take a pass on the Notos. For a first PCP, it will fit the bill of many, especially if they are new and don't know what they want. Not a bad thing. However, I know what I want and the Notos isn't it. Especially since they don't offer it in .177 which I prefer for more reasons than I will get into here. (smile)

Thanks again for the reply!

All my best!

Kerry

Did you notice improved shot count with the added plenum? Any idea what your shot count is like now?

Thanks for the info! I am sure that it is capable of more than the 700fps OOTB that PA claims, but that QUIET thing I require isn't there. There is a lot of hype on AGN about the Notos and that also keeps me away. Usually, that much hype is from the modders. Not from the stock gun, IMHO. Note that I did say that is In My Humble Opinion. But that is based on observation, if not experience, reading these forums.

Anyway, even at the lowest price of close to $200 that I have seen, NEW, I will take a pass on the Notos. For a first PCP, it will fit the bill of many, especially if they are new and don't know what they want. Not a bad thing. However, I know what I want and the Notos isn't it. Especially since they don't offer it in .177 which I prefer for more reasons than I will get into here. (smile)

All my best!

Kerry
I see where you are coming from and understand how all the modders commenting on the Notos could sway you away from it but it definitely could have been kept stock with no mods. The Notos is very quiet out of the box. You'd be surprised at how well it is made too, all metal but basically just the picatinny rail. I used my dB meter on the stock notos and out of the box shooting FX Atomics it was ~78.76 at the right ear and 85.16 with the meter right beside and in line with the muzzle pointing forward.

One morning it was humid and I was filming the vapor. Camera right by muzzle and even then hitting metal target at 75 yards was about as loud as the shot.
I mean it's your money I am not gonna say much more since you've read a lot already but with that 20% off coupon right now it's such a great PCP for the $ plus is very hand pump friendly.

Reactions: BackStop
Did you notice improved shot count with the added plenum? Any idea what your shot count is like now?
Yes I did. The claims of the plenum manufacturer are accurate I did increase shot count and FPS I did 28 shots on reg before (Out of box Notos set to ~1900 psi ) I think I got up to 36 after plenum but right after I did increase hammer spring so I gained FPS over shots/fill but you can tune either way obviously. Still easily get 24 shots / fill at ~20 fpe now

Reactions: AKairgunner907
I see where you are coming from and understand how all the modders commenting on the Notos could sway you away from it but it definitely could have been kept stock with no mods. The Notos is very quiet out of the box. You'd be surprised at how well it is made too, all metal but basically just the picatinny rail. I used my dB meter on the stock notos and out of the box shooting FX Atomics it was ~78.76 at the right ear and 85.16 with the meter right beside and in line with the muzzle pointing forward.

One morning it was humid and I was filming the vapor. Camera right by muzzle and even then hitting metal target at 75 yards was about as loud as the shot.
I mean it's your money I am not gonna say much more since you've read a lot already but with that 20% off coupon right now it's such a great PCP for the $ plus is very hand pump friendly.
Thanks for the info! As I said, if they offered it in .177, I might take more interest and noise levels are so subjective. (smile) What is quiet to you may be loud to me.

All my best!

Kerry

Reactions: EmptyTin_Tim
How did you get the oem ldc off clean enough to reuse it?

I chuck up the barrel in the lathe and use a carbide insert for aluminum, measure 5.5" back from the front of the moderator and make passes until I hit the 2 clips, I then just break the last few thousandths of plastic off and put the saved housing aside.

I then change tooling and use an insert for hardened steel and cut the clips off, clean up the barrel end, rtc.

Remove the barrel and chuck up the front of the moderator and face the back I cut off, shape it as needed and drill it out with a 29/64" drill bit, blow it out, chuck up a 1/2"-20 UNF tap and run her in!

I chuck up the barrel in the lathe and use a carbide insert for aluminum, measure 5.5" back from the front of the moderator and make passes until I hit the 2 clips, I then just break the last few thousandths of plastic off and put the saved housing aside.

I then change tooling and use an insert for hardened steel and cut the clips off, clean up the barrel end, rtc.

Remove the barrel and chuck up the front of the moderator and face the back I cut off, shape it as needed and drill it out with a 29/64" drill bit, blow it out, chuck up a 1/2"-20 UNF tap and run her in!
Wow yeah I definitely couldn't have done that with my hand held dremel with cut off wheel, files, and I think some pliers I used to get my mod off.. haha

I'm glad you could save the original mod and re use it that's really cool!

Reactions: nobody1