Tuning Umarex Notos has arrived.

Hello All, new member here. Just want to post the current mods on my Notos. I made a drop block to install a carbon fiber bottle (370cc) for more shot count. Then I decided to change to a longer barrel, 350 mm (13 3/4"). External reg set to 2K, this gives me 815 f/sec. on 18.13 JSB. Trigger has been reworked a lot. I drilled and tap another hole between the 2nd stage and safety spring access. this reduced the 2nd stage pull quit a bit. I also machined the hammer shoulder to removed the radius by the sear. Then I bought a folding stock hinge, but I had to reduce the adapter thread down to 1.128" as it is very under sized for Mil spec. My brother has posted this along with his Notos on the Notos owners group. Also forgot to mention, I modified the side lever to a biathlon style. Much easier to cycle the action using Carm magazines.

IMG_1795.JPG
IMG_1844.JPG

Last edited:
i purchased my Notos because it is light & cheap & after watching every vid & reveiw for a week , i ordered one from Utah Airguns, i take it out back in my junkyard (auto salvage) to shoot blackbirds sparrows ,& starlings, which allows me to leave my Fx Mk3 purchased in december inside & not worry about scratching it , i am and have been a P rod fan for yrs, have 5 of them , but i decided to try the Notos & i LIKE it, i only shoot Cphp's in it , & it does great , i shot a blackbird @ 62 yrds yesterday, dropped straight down out a tree about 70' tall drt ,also got 2 sparrows & 1 starling, @ 30 yrds, that makes 4 that will not be crapping on my vehicles anymore, or anyone else's... BTW i have not done the trigger yet..

Please post a link to Notos owners group.
Here are links to both of the Facebook Notos groups. Confusingly, they are both called Umarex Notos Owners Group. The only difference is one of them capitalizes NOTOS, but they are different groups. One has over 500 members, the other has less than 100. I've only been on them for a few days. Hope the links work.

Reactions: Genob
I leave this community for 6-9 months no temptations of guns or anything and I come back for a few days and yall already trying to get me to spend money! In all seriousness this gun is something I've been looking for for along time. Something compact, lightweight, accurate enough and with a decent shot count and trigger for a great barn gun and a gun to teach my kids to shoot. I use my R7 .177 occasionally for that but is too nice to really use that often don't like to get it dirty. This gun wouldn't care. And iron sights would be awesome to use. Will have to think about this one.

Fixed, put some Moly grease on and a rat file. EZ-PZ

View attachment 342982

View attachment 342983
As someone pointed out, the grub screw was originally in the right orientation. It looks backwards when you first look at it, and if it's purpose was to push up on the sear, then yes. But I believe the purpose is to push "down" on a flat bar that's on the back of the handle plate. If you look at the plate it will make sense.
I almost switched mine too after reading these posts, but after looking closer, and thinking why would they install it backwards??? I figured out it's correct purpose.
Hope this prevents others from incorrectly turning that grub the wrong way. I'm sure it probably still functions either way.

Has anyone found a lighter trigger spring that works? I polished and greased the mechanical parts, and the trigger definitely improved, but the spring still feels too stiff for me. I can't seem to source a better one.
The spring is fine as is, lots of guys keeps turning the first stage screw until it does not spring back. This is unsafe I think as a bump can release the hammer and fire. The second stage screw is too far away from the fulcrum point of the trigger. I drilled and tap another screw (M3x.5) between the second stage and the spring access screw for the safety. Now it has better leverage and reduced second stage pull quite a bit. I also turned the hammer to sear area flat so it's easy for the sear lever spring to reengage when you release the first stage. I also reduce the safety spring tension to make it easier to engage. I will post pics next time I take it apart.

Last edited:
My brother came by to pick up his Notos after I finished the upgrades. I installed a 120 cc tank and external regulator. Original air tank is only 66 cc, but he did not want a carbon fiber tank. I also upgraded the side lever to my current design. His getting close to 40 regulated shots at 22 f/lbs.

View attachment 346822

View attachment 346823
I like that side lever

Reactions: pnwairgunner
My brother came by to pick up his Notos after I finished the upgrades. I installed a 120 cc tank and external regulator. Original air tank is only 66 cc, but he did not want a carbon fiber tank. I also upgraded the side lever to my current design. His getting close to 40 regulated shots at 22 f/lbs.

View attachment 346822

View attachment 346823
Wow! Great job. Did you make the larger tank?

Wow! Great job. Did you make the larger tank?
My brother bought it on amazon. I just modified the end caps as no need for a fill probe since the regulator has a quick connect. I bore out the end caps for a little more volume. This tank has a O.D. of 34 mm, so the adapter must be offset accordingly to clear the moderator. Pictures are in the Notos owners group on facebook.

Today I took the side cover off the trigger to take pictures of my mod to increase the leverage of trigger. The change in geometry makes the second stage a lot softer due to increased mechanical advantage. I am using stock spring and have at least 0.030" of sear engagement. Only other mod is machining the hammer to sear side flat. No noticeable increase in second stage creep. First picture with screwdriver pointing at the new M3 set screw location.

IMG_1861.JPG

IMG_1862.JPG

Last edited:
I am posting the proto type Notos side lever extension as some have message me for dimensions. Mat'l is 3/4" aluminum angle and a 5/16" aluminum rod. Very easy to make with file, hacksaw, drill and tap. You can attach it to the original lever with a JB weld. I also drilled and tap the side lever for a cap screw. The lever is very hard material as it is done with MIM (metal injection molding) process. Very easy to crack, so I don't advice drilling it.

IMG_1865.JPG

IMG_1866.JPG

IMG_1867.JPG

IMG_1868.JPG

Last edited: