Tuning Umarex Notos has arrived.

I wonder if there is still air coming out on the notos after pellet exits the barrel like the valve is open too long.

Allen
If the hammer spring is adjusted too tight it will waste air and make noise. I think mine is set to about 1 and 1/4 turns back from fully tightened. Any adjustment past that doesn’t give more FPS and only increases noise.
I polished the hammer a week ago and it seemed to actually be a little louder afterwards so I think I need to back off the HS a little more now. I wasn’t able to play with it this past weekend, hopefully next weekend I will have some time to fiddle with it.

Reactions: M0ist0ne
Healthservices
I totally agree with your points on refining the trigger. My PP750 trigger was reworked extensively and it is a GREAT trigger. All the tips you gave help alot, esp. polishing the lip of the hammer. Hammer spring tension is a big factor in reducing the overall pull weight. For me finding the right combination of screw settings allowed a very discernable 1st & 2nd stage with a light pull weight. A 1/16 turn or less adjustment on those screws can be the difference. It's easy to adjust past the sweet spot before you know it.

I have had a couple instances of the cocking handle feeling like it is binding up? Anyone else had that? I found some small grooves worn inside the hole where the bolt rides and have smoothed it out with 600 grit sandpaper and cleaned and lubricated everything with Ballistol and that seemed to make it cock even smoother than before. Then after putting maybe another 100 pellets through it, it began getting harder and harder to cycle the side lever again… felt like it was binding. Took it apart and searched everything and could only find some scuffs on the bolt itself but nothing super obvious…. went over it again with 600 grit and this time chucked the bolt into the drill press and lightly dressed it up as well with the sandpaper. Cleaned and lubed with Ballistol again and it’s back to perfect. Cycles like hot butter now.
Ballistol is not a good lube!
It a cleaner protectant. Use a small amount of good gun oil on moving parts!

Ballistol is not a good lube!
It a cleaner protectant. Use a small amount of good gun oil on moving parts!
I usually use silicone oil or grease for everything but it didn’t feel like it was helping the binding. Seemed like I needed a thinner lubricant so I cleaned it with ballistol and went with that. I didnt have time this past weekend to see if the binding came back after more use.

I bought a Notos today from AGD and it should arrive next Tuesday. This will be my second purchase of a short range air gun (my first was the Air magnum 850 .177 CO2 back in 2007. It shot around 750 FPS using 7.9 gr pellets. I took many squirrels with it on local horse ranches out to 35 yards.
However, I think I can stretch the legs of the NOTOS a bit. We are starting to get some squirrel activity so I will post up my experiences including chrono data etc.

Healthservices
I totally agree with your points on refining the trigger. My PP750 trigger was reworked extensively and it is a GREAT trigger. All the tips you gave help alot, esp. polishing the lip of the hammer. Hammer spring tension is a big factor in reducing the overall pull weight. For me finding the right combination of screw settings allowed a very discernable 1st & 2nd stage with a light pull weight. A 1/16 turn or less adjustment on those screws can be the difference. It's easy to adjust past the sweet spot before you know it.
It maybe a good idea to put some BLUE loctite on there as it can easy be loosen and changed if needed. But nothing on the threads will guarantee it changing after all your hard work. Oh again some of the set screws from the factory feel like someone put superglue in there. With the trigger it is easy to put some heat on it and it will come out easily.

20230128_165302.jpg

Allen

Reactions: pnwairgunner
You can find the trigger springs on Amazon
uxcell Compression Spring,304 Stainless Steel,3mm OD,0.3mm Wire Size,6mm Compressed Length,10mm Free Length,2N Load Capacity for Home Projects, Silver Tone,10pcs https://a.co/d/cDTR8bV
but if you are willing to wait you can get more and less expensive from ebay.
I think the size is 3mm dia 0.3 wire diameter is just under factory and 10mm long. I got the .25 .20 .15 wire diameters to play with on ebay but you may want to get a .30 incase you lose yours.

Other things to get would be some spare pins in case those disappear too. These have rounded ended . I was too lazy to look for the other style. 🙄

Allen

Reading about you rounding off the sharp point of the set screw in the trigger made me think of these ball end ( rolling,) ones i looked at for a project..

If a guy wanted to spend on maybe really smoothing things out ..

View attachment 328339

View attachment 328340
Do those have a spring behind them? Would you happen to have a link to them? Thanks, I was trying to find the ones without. The ones I got in post 218 have a spring behind them. I first cleaned them in a couple drops of brake clean then pushed the tip in and out of a drop of super glue to get the area behind the ball and where the spring is full of superglue. I then spayed some activator and cleaned the excess glue.

I thought the Spring inside them was strong enough to not compress but after playing with the action several times I can see that I was wrong about the Spring not compressing. That's why I ended up filling it full of super glue.

Allen

Do those have a spring behind them? Would you happen to have a link to them? Thanks, I was trying to find the ones without. The ones I got in post 218 have a spring behind them. I first cleaned them in a couple drops of brake clean then pushed the tip in and out of a drop of super glue to get the area behind the ball and where the spring is full of superglue. I then spayed some activator and cleaned the excess glue.

I thought the Spring inside them was strong enough to not compress but after playing with the action several times I can see that I was wrong about the Spring not compressing. That's why I ended up filling it full of super glue.

Allen
Should. The ones i looked claimed to.. there roller type.

Lol.. in the end i cheaped out and just rounded the ones i had as well... ( I think size was another killjoy)

I just recalled them and put it here for ideas or a option to ponder.

Oh.. there were like plastic/Teflon tiped ones too..

th-512643544.jpg

Should. The ones i looked claimed to.. there roller type.

Lol.. in the end i cheaped out and just rounded the ones i had as well... ( I think size was another killjoy)

I just recalled them and put it here for ideas or a option to ponder.

Oh.. there were like plastic/Teflon tiped ones too..
You know it's good you showed the picture
Screenshot_20230131_134355_Gallery.jpg

it gives me a better idea to bypass the spring! I can drill a hole on the backside and put a fill material in from there or even knock the ball out and put material in the void! 😊👍
Oh I got mine here on Amazon of course! Amazon is great for lazy people like me!

uxcell Ball Point Set Screws, 20pcs M3 x 12mm High Carbon Steel Metric Spring Hex Socket Grub Screw https://a.co/d/8NzHen4

Allen

You know it's good you showed the picture
View attachment 328379
it gives me a better idea to bypass the spring! I can drill a hole on the backside and put a fill material in from there or even knock the ball out and put material in the void! 😊👍
Oh I got mine here on Amazon of course! Amazon is great for lazy people like me!

uxcell Ball Point Set Screws, 20pcs M3 x 12mm High Carbon Steel Metric Spring Hex Socket Grub Screw https://a.co/d/8NzHen4

All
I had some old micro bearings i thought of drill and expoxy a roller ball on top..

I think them you show should do just fine👍
I think id eant the ball to roll on that shear you know less to no drag. / Smooth action.

Reactions: Healthservices
Did anyone manage to adjust the regulator?
I have not tried to on the notos but I have on the pp750. I have only looked down the tube and adjusted with a screwdriver on the pp750. When I removed the air tube assembly I accidentally pulled just the tube exposing the regulator. It looks like it has a lock nut on it.
20230128_202042.jpg

I have not tried messing it. But if it is like the pp750 a 1/16 of a turn will make a big difference as a 1/8 turn on the pp750 changed the speed like 100fps on the .177. A half turn changed the reg pressure over 600psi in the pp750. So small steps if you do and I think 1 turn is all you will get for useful adjustments.

Allen.

Last edited: