• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Umarex M1A1 Thompson Repair

Well I made another vid about adjusting or fixing the sear. The video is too large to load on this site, I did up-load it to YouTube it can be viewed here.

This video is about adjusting or repairing the Umarex M1A1 SMG Sear. To do this, one has to separate the upper and lower receiver and then remove the sear. This process is not difficult to accomplish. The sear, after many BBs (about 3k to 5k rounds) tends get a little bent inwards. This can cause the sear to jam against the bolt on the upper receiver. Adjustment may be as simple as straitening the sear. However more may be required. A little filing on the bolt may be required.

I made this to further the repair knowledge for the Umarex M1A1 Thompson SMG. The sear; for those who do not know, is the device that allows the ammunition to flow to the chamber that adjusts for single or full auto and stops cycling the gun when the BBs are is all used up. The video is too large to post here, so I did post it on YouTube, below is the Title and link,

"Umarex M1A1 Thompson SMG Adjusting/Repairing the Sear"

Last edited:
Reactions: jackinelgin
I made this to further the repair knowledge for the Umarex M1A1 Thompson SMG. The sear; for those who do not know, is the device that allows the ammunition to flow the the chamber, adjusts single or full auto and stops cycling the gun when the BB9or ammo is all used up. The video is too large to post here, so I did post it on YouTube, below is the Title and link,

Cool

I am waiting to post repair videos for the Umarex MP-40 and M3A1 Grease gun when they break down that is; so far they are solid. I purchased the Umarex guns as follows.

January 6, 2020 - MP-40
March 23, 2020 - M1A1 Thompson SMG
November 30, 2022 M3A1 Grease Gun

Let's see; that would make the guns age; MP-40 SMG 3 years and 5 Months old.
The M1A1 Thompson SMG 3 years 1 month old.
the M3A1 Grease SMG 5 1/2 months.

Here is a question for Umarex and the fans of the Umarex Legend's guns. :What new Legend's WWII replica weapon will Umarex make next?

Hmmm... "That is a question!" Everyone that is interested as I am in the Umarex Legend's line of BB guns how about your Ideas.

Here are my two picks

1) STG 44 (AKA Sturmgewehr" or "Storm Riffle" WWII named by Hitler)
1683638579978.png

2) PPS SMG Russian WWII (2 million made)
1683638668075.png
1683638695921.png

How about a Umares M2 Carbine full auto C02 W/30 Round Magazine

Attachments

• M2 Carbine Para 2.jpg
    M2 Carbine Para 2.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 9
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I am waiting to post repair videos for the Umarex MP-40 and M3A1 Grease gun when they break down that is; so far they are solid. I purchased the Umarex guns as follows.

January 6, 2020 - MP-40

Here is a question I have for Umarex and the fans of the Umarex Legend's guns. :What new Legend's WWII replica weapon will Umarex be make next?

Hmmm... "That is a question!" Everyone that is interested as I am in the Umarex Legend's line of BB guns how about your Ideas.

Here are my two picks

View attachment 354907

View attachment 354908View attachment 354910
Maybe unpopular opinion, but I've always wondered why there's no bolt action in the legends series. We have cowboy the lever action then to semi and full auto directly.
On the airsoft side, quite a few kar98k, lee enfields are on the market. Designing shouldn't be that challenging I suppose.

Reactions: ninersix
Maybe unpopular opinion, but I've always wondered why there's no bolt action in the legends series. We have cowboy the lever action then to semi and full auto directly.
On the airsoft side, quite a few kar98k, lee enfields are on the market. Designing shouldn't be that challenging I suppose.
Oh I do not know, everybody has an opinion, I guess that is what I am asking for in the post. Yes the bolt action is there in the MP-40 and the M3A1 Grease gun, You can hear the bolt clanging as it fires. The M1A1 use's the upper receiver as the bolt so you are correct there. But they are so damn fun to shoot.
I wanted to see what others thought would be fun for Umarex Legend's to make next.
So one vote for the kar98k and Lee Enfield both legendary WWII bolt action rifles'.

Thanks' for your post.

Last edited:
I have some silicone spray. When I receive the gun do I remove the clip and just the slide? Anything else to lube?
Also I have half a bottle of Crossman Copperhead BBs. Any issues with these?
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The M1A1 and the MP-40 seem not to like the Crossman Copperheads even the Premium brand. Zink or Umarex Nickle/Steel coated BB's work very well. I just use the Crossman Copperhead BBs for my pistols and they work fine there.
Oiling 100% silicone oil; I not only squirt the oil (little pump spray bottle for cleaning glasses, get them anywhere) on the clip head, inside the magazine well and a few drops in the magazine BB spring chamber. I have never had a jam or a dry shot since I started doing this procedure.

Last edited:
Oh I do not know, everybody has an opinion, I guess that is what I am asking for in the post. Yes the bolt action is there in the MP-40 and the M3A1 Grease gun, You can hear the bolt clanging as it fires. The M1A1 use's the upper receiver as the bolt so you are correct there. But they are so damn fun to shoot.
I wanted to see what others thought would be fun for Umarex Legend's to make next.
So one vote for the kar98k and Lee Enfield both legendary WWII bolt action rifles'.

Thanks' for your post.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The M1A1 and the MP-40 seem not to like the Crossman Copperheads even the Premium brand. Zink or Umarex Nickle coated BB's work very well. I just use the Crossman Copperhead BBs for my pistols and they work fine there.
Oiling 100% silicone oil; I not only squirt the oil (little pump spray bottle for cleaning glasses, get them anywhere) on the clip head, inside the magazine well and a few drops in the magazine BB spring chamber. I have never had a jam or a dry shot since I started doing this procedure.
Ive been using the Copperheads and the silver zinc Daisy BBs, never had a jam with any in my M1A1.

January 6, 2020 - MP-40

Here is a question I have for Umarex and the fans of the Umarex Legend's guns. :What new Legend's WWII replica weapon will Umarex be make next?

Here are my two picks

View attachment 354907

View attachment 354908View attachment 354910
I wanna see them make an M16.

I made this to further the repair knowledge for the Umarex M1A1 Thompson SMG. The sear; for those who do not know, is the device that allows the ammunition to flow the the chamber, adjusts single or full auto and stops cycling the gun when the BB9or ammo is all used up. The video is too large to post here, so I did post it on YouTube, below is the Title and link,

I did this but I used Reynolds wrap aluminum foil and attached to the sear with super glue as a permanent shim. Thanks for the info.

A POLL FOR NEW UMAREX Legends NEXT GUN?

Started May 9, 12:27 PM 2023

What new Legend's WWII replica weapon will Umarex make next? (WWII Only)

(Add thumbnail of gun if you wish)

RESULTS SO FAR

STG 44 (AKA Sturmgewehr" or "Storm Riffle" WWII named by Hitler)

PPS SMG Russian WWII (2 million made)

Lee Enfield (Bolt Rifle)

kar98k (Bolt Rifle)

M2 Carbine Para w/ 30 round magazine. Full auto of course. We made only -6- (correction 8) Million of them for WWII.

download.jpg

M2 Carbine Para 2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Now that's what I call ingenuity! I filed down a thin piece of brass; you may have simplified the fix. The shim itself does not get hardly any wear it is just a spacer of a few thousands of an inch thick. Great thinking.
Exactly. And Umarex should actually fixed this with an upgrade if they haven't already.

Exactly. And Umarex should actually fixed this with an upgrade if they haven't already.
Well Umarex has proved that they are really not into fixing their product; don't get me wrong, I love the Umarex Legends' Brand, I have three of them with extra clips. I am waiting with some excitement what they will produce next.

This fix was not that difficult for me (remember I am a Cybersecurity guy, just good with hobbies and hand tools), so how much money would you spend repairing a product that is not complicated but the costs would be high (shipping, administrative, repair, parts manufacturing etc.) to repair?

So probably not repairing out of warrantee broken guns, at least not at the present. I have no idea how many BB guns they have sold world wide. Maybe it is not that many? Again costs, money money money money.

They are only ~ $200.00 dollars USD or so for the product retail. Remember the cost for manufacture is lower than the the sales price. Distribution Reps. sales/marketing companies (PYRMID AIR, AIRGUN DEPOT etc. take a cut for every sale.
Finally; these are CO2 BB Guns... they are not rugged actual firearms that must withstand the punishment's of daily use not to mention actual combat.
I love them because they look and fire like the real weapons but at a fraction of the cost; one can shoot them almost anywhere without fear that someone will be injured or killed. As long as reasonable caution is maintained it will be a fun time shooting them. So I do not know what the planes are for Umarex for the future but as long as they are making historical replica BB guns (WWII, etc.) I will probably be purchasing them. If something goes wrong I will probability take a swing at fixing them when they get broke.

Reactions: Big Louie
Ive been using the Copperheads and the silver zinc Daisy BBs, never had a jam with any in my M1A1.
I have three Umarex Legend's guns MP-40, M1A1 and M3A1 grease gun, so my perspective is this the MP-40 and the M1A1 are finicky with the Copperheads, After repeated firing of those two weapons dry fires (just Co2 no BB) and jams appear. After repeated firing of those two weapons dry fires and jams appear. So I use the silver (steel or Zink coated) premium BBs. The M3 Grease gun is just a beast and will fire just about anything so far.

Reactions: Big Louie
I have three Umarex Legend's guns MP-40, M1A1 and M3A1 grease gun, so my perspective is this the MP-40 and the M1A1 are finicky with the Copperheads, After repeated firing of those two weapons dry fires (just Co2 no BB) and jams appear. After repeated firing of those two weapons dry fires and jams appear. So I use the silver (steel or Zink coated) premium BBs. The M3 Grease gun is just a beast and will fire just about anything so far.

Well Umarex has proved that they are really not into fixing their product; don't get me wrong, I love the Umarex Legends' Brand, I have three of them with extra clips. I am waiting with some excitement what they will produce next.

This fix was not that difficult for me (remember I am a Cybersecurity guy, just good with hobbies and hand tools), so how much money would you spend repairing a product that is not complicated but the costs would be high (shipping, administrative, repair, parts manufacturing etc.) to repair?

So probably not repairing out of warrantee broken guns, at least not at the present. I have no idea how many BB guns they have sold world wide. Maybe it is not that many? Again costs, money money money money.

They are only ~ $200.00 dollars USD or so for the product retail. Remember the cost for manufacture is lower than the the sales price. Distribution Reps. sales/marketing companies (PYRMID AIR, AIRGUN DEPOT etc. take a cut for every sale.
Finally; these are CO2 BB Guns... they are not rugged actual firearms that must withstand the punishment's of daily use not to mention actual combat.
I love them because they look and fire like the real weapons but at a fraction of the cost; one can shoot them almost anywhere without fear that someone will be injured or killed. As long as reasonable caution is maintained it will be a fun time shooting them. So I do not know what the planes are for Umarex for the future but as long as they are making historical replica BB guns (WWII, etc.) I will probably be purchasing them. If something goes wrong I will probability take a swing at fixing them when they get broke.
Umarex not been very forthc
oming with information to me on how to fix problems either.

Me too please keep us updated.