• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Umarex HDP lost power

I got a Umarex HDP 50 the other day, and some 12.7mm steel BBs to test it with. Checked its penetration with layers of cardboard, the thin ones that come with frozen pizzas cuz I had a stack of them laying around. Several tests with the stock gun, maximum number it was able to penetrate was 8 layers.

I was looking up various mods that can be done on the gun, and found someone who mentioned just slightly enlarging the hole under the brass cap at the rear of the gun, where the CO2 charge indicator pops out. I wanted to have a look at this and see what he was describing, so I popped out the single pin at the top rear of the gun, and took the orange slide off. I removed the brass cap with needle-nose pliers, it came off easily. But I decided I didn't want to mess with it, so I put it back just as it was and reassembled.

Now, in every test the same gun with the same ammo can barely penetrate 2 layers of cardboard, often not even 1. I went through 4 CO2 cartridges to rule out bad CO2. The BBs just bounce right off of cardboard now.

Anyone know what gives? I made no changes to the gun. Why does it have no power now? Thanks!