Umarex Hammer

Sounds to me like Umarex has definitely completed the Hammer project. The excerpt below states a "two-year" process. I believe in 2017 what everyone saw was a prototype. Word has it those lucky enough to attend 2018 SHOT will be able to shoot the Hammer during range day.

"Umarex USA’s engineers produced multiple prototypes of various mechanisms for the Hammer during nearly a two-year process that has resulted in a most innovative production big bore hunting air rifle. The soul of the Umarex Hammer is powered by 4,500 PSI of compressed air, held in its on-board, 24 cubic inch carbon fiber cylinder. The Hammer’s Lightspeed valve, coupled with a precision regulator instantly pulses a measure of air compressed to 3,000 psi, behind the projectile. This innovative patent-pending system efficiently propels a .50 caliber 550 grain lead slug at a muzzle velocity of 760 FPS and a 250 grain slug at over 1,000 FPS."

Hammer-left-HAM.jpg

May be an excellent novelty airgun, maybe (?) a tool for requiting PB folks. I can think of perhaps 10 people in the U.S. who could/would use one for Hunting.
4,500psi fill, oh ya! Regulated to 3,000psi so you could fill to (?) maybe 3,600 and get 1 regulated shot. One might think the "comb" w/Hill pump included will only sell to newbies and mussel men/women, and is the Hill 4,500psi rated? And hopefully there IS an ammo that works!! If one needs to experiment finding the right ammo at 4,500psi , LOL. I have used a LOT of air sighting in tuned 909's at only 3,000psi.
Should hold/kick just about like an 800fpe Black Powder rifle- does seem good when trying to convert BP folks- but that l o n g s l o w kick does take getting used to not to effect poa/poi .

Dont get me wrong, while I certainly;y would purchase one I DO want to try someone esle's out! I will even provide the air if someone can bring one over.

I do think they will - roughly0- meet the release date.

John

Definitely a hunting gun!!! Below is a photo that was taken from a successful hunt in Africa a few months ago. (Taken from Umarex USA Facebook) Looks like the 705 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle is effective.

"Professional Hunter Jacques Spamer & I took this ancient #gemsbok at AAA Serapa Safaris - Africa with a prototype of our Umarex USA, Inc. #50cal "Hammer" AIRGUN! The #Hammer will be introduced at SHOT Show next week."

04fc0c8e747d7582d027e18584b8b05c.jpg

"Imold"I just think it would be a fun conversion piece to pull out at the range, probably 90% of the folks where I live don’t even realize that a 30-357-45 or a 50 cal Airgun exist so in my case it would just be down right fun.
Forsure it would be, obviously not a gun you would shoot daily but there's countless molds you can try if you're into that and no doubt Hunters Supply would have something or will that can work. Won't get that up here with that shrouded barrel but maybe they'll offer one without. Looking forward to seeing it shot more.

I believe with the Hammer you get three (3) regulated shots via the magazine before having to refill.

“In addition to being the most powerful airgun delivering three regulated, full-power shots, it is the only production big bore air rifle that offers multiple shots from its patent-pending chamber magazine—other big bore air rifles require the insertion of a round into its chamber after every shot fired.”
  • Straight-pull bolt with 2 lb. cocking effort and just 2 in. of travel
  • Delivers 3 full-power shots using 8 cubic inches per shot
  • Patent-pending Lightspeed™ valve
  • 24 cubic inch carbon fiber tank holds 4,500 psi compressed air
  • Regulated to 3,000 psi per shot