Umarex Hammer

Good morning everyone and Merry Christmas.
My question is about the Umarex Hammer.50 cal.
Does anyone have any knowledge of them?
Is there a silencer made for them?
They look impressive and what little I've read up on them they have a high level of positive reviews.
I want to use it for deer hunting on my small homestead.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone.🎄

Questionable build quality and a blast of air to the face is what I've heard. I bet an airforce texan would be a better choice.
@Glem.Chally is absolutely correct.... That blast of air is right next to where you put your face. On the instructions they warn about it causing serious injury or death. I can't believe they released this airgun to be honest. Texans are great airguns. The Bushbuck 45 is what I have ($1800 bucks). You get what you pay for. Airforce would be nearer the price point of a Hammer but it has a lifetime warranty and is made in the USA.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was highly anticipating buying the Hammer IF it ever finally hit the market. It took FOREVER for it to get through production and unfortunately they were plagued with problems as soon as they came off the drawing board. Initially it seemed that the Hammer’s biggest critics were Airforce fanboys as it was being called crap before it even began production but the proof is in the pudding and the list of unsatisfied owners/ former owners is a long one.
If you want a rock solid big bore there is really only one mass-produced choice out there. I’m not a fan of the Airforce Texan’s appearance but it works, it’s accurate and it is reliable. There’s nothing delicate about it and if you are hunting you don’t need something that needs to be handled delicately. I have a nice pile of deer pepperoni and summer sausage in the freezer thanks to the Texan.
There are a lot of what I’d call “novelty big bores” out there. They are built to launch a ridiculous projectile just to post some big FPE numbers for advertising purposes. But they are stupidly heavy or absurdly long and usually made with less than desirable quality control. The Texan on the other hand is actually built to be a real hunter.

Last edited:
I had a tight fitting magazine not cycle to the left all the way and shave a piece of the next round off, when the blast of air happened on that shot it sent the sliver of lead into my elbow. Never again, that rifle went goodbye.
Sorry man. Yeah I've heard of a few incidents like that. It's a bummer.
I was highly anticipating buying the Hammer IF it ever finally hit the market. It took FOREVER for it to get through production and unfortunately they were plagued with problems as soon as they came off the drawing board. Initially it seemed that the Hammer’s biggest critics were Airforce fanboys as it was being called crap before it even began production but the proof is in the pudding and the list of unsatisfied owners/ former owners is a long one.
If you want a rock solid big bore there is really only one mass-produced choice out there. I’m not a fan of the Airforce Texan’s appearance but it works, it’s accurate and it is reliable. There’s nothing delicate about it and if you are hunting you don’t need something that needs to be handled delicately. I have a nice pile of deer pepperoni and summer sausage in the freezer thanks to the Texan.
There are a lot of what I’d call “novelty big bores” out there. They are built to launch a ridiculous projectile just to post some big FPE numbers for advertising purposes. But they are stupidly heavy or absurdly long and usually made with less than desirable quality control. The Texan on the other hand is actually built to be a real hunter.
That is the problem with fanboy attitude is that there might be legitimate criticism of a platform, but if you are criticizing a product just because it is not the one you invested in, it tends to be considered crying wolf and nobody believes them. Glad you were able to verify yourself, and that is the best way to come across the facts anyway. I always try to encourage people to shoot the airgun they want to buy. A lot of times the higher the quality does automatically mean it will cost more, but when someone sees a Hammer, Texan, and a Bushbuck in person and gets the chance to shoot it, they tend to save up for a bit rather than pulling the trigger right away. The offer to shoot a Bushbuck is always on the table for anyone that lives near FL.

Reactions: pnwairgunner
I would question the quality of those rifles even more so over the quality of the hammer. I do not care what they say on paper, as stated above, there are novelty guns that make power, then there are legit tools that were built to last and be utilized time and time again. An airforce performs better and on only 3600 psi that should tell ya all you need to know.

I wouldn't. I owned a Challenger 357 first gen and it had zero problems. I've owned 3 other AEAs, as well as 2 Umarex I still own. The higher end AEA models, especially "gen 2+" are fairly well refined. You won't get air blasting you in the face, for one thing. You also won't get a cheesy looking plastic stock. Is the weird 2 shot "magazine" that comes with the Hammer something anybody really wants, or just puts up with? Lets be real, the Hammer is a bit of a turd, and the Challenger Gen 2 Big Bores are simply amazing for the money.

Now bringing Airforce into the equation is one way to go. Single shot platform and yes it's better, for what it is. OP will have to weigh priorities!

Last edited:
Reactions: RM.510bigbore
They look impressive and what little I've read up on them they have a high level of positive reviews.
Thanks everyone.🎄
The Hammer is a dump gun, high fills, inconsistent 100 yard accuracy and to be honest not a very enjoyable gun to shoot over the many big bores I've used. For a budget friendly gun I would invest in a modified Bulldog over the Hammer. Matt over at Pitbull Airguns is a great guy and offers some excellent products. For something a bit more above, the Texan is an out of the box ready gun. For higher end little compares to a Bushbuck or Slayer as far as build quality, accuracy and overall performance. It really boils down to what you want to spend, big bores can be a commitment as far as air consumption, something to consider.

I have to admit that when I go big bore I wanted to look into the bushbuck but since ive started using my rifles more for utility and less for plinky, the airforce platform is tried and true... the bushbuck is so pretty, I do like the looks of the bushpig too
The Bushbuck has also been around for a LONG time. People don't often release that it was one of the first serious big bore airguns in production. Luckily, my next podcast is all about the Bushbuck! So many can learn from that about the platform.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
The Bushbuck has also been around for a LONG time. People don't often release that it was one of the first serious big bore airguns in production. Luckily, my next podcast is all about the Bushbuck! So many can learn from that about the platform.
Have you seen the Pitbulls that Dana recommended? Looked into them last night and was impressed to see that you could get the .357 regulated!!!

Ill have to look into that, the bushpig imo is actually one of the cooler big bores due to the ergonomics of it and utilitarian look

Reactions: Deleted 45061
Have you seen the Pitbulls that Dana recommended? Looked into them last night and was impressed to see that you could get the .357 regulated!!!

Ill have to look into that, the bushpig imo is actually one of the cooler big bores due to the ergonomics of it and utilitarian look
Yes I have and Matt and Paul are two standup men over there. Yes, they make those airguns a lot of bang for the buck, and I've had friends buy their airguns and were very happy customers.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
I have a Hammer and did shoot a deer at 50 yds, dropped on the spot. I spent the money on a adapter and an emporer moderator. It did practically nothing to quiet it. I shoot left handed and had no issues shooting the gun.You get what you pay for. So if you are only shooting a few shots a year for hunting they are fine. I have shot out to 80 yards no problem. I have not tried any further. I might be selling mine after I replace the air guagel PM me if you want a good deal.

I have a Hammer and did shoot a deer at 50 yds, dropped on the spot. I spent the money on a adapter and an emporer moderator. It did practically nothing to quiet it. I shoot left handed and had no issues shooting the gun.You get what you pay for. So if you are only shooting a few shots a year for hunting they are fine. I have shot out to 80 yards no problem. I have not tried any further. I might be selling mine after I replace the air guagel PM me if you want a good deal.
What happened with the air gauge?

Thanks everyone.🎄
I have a Umarex Hammer I bought this year for deer hunting. I harvested 3 deer and it worked great. I used the Lehigh defense 240 grain controlled chaos projectiles and they were great for deer hunting and the accuracy was great out to 70 yards which was as far as I tested. I’m sure it would be accurate out to 100 but then you have to start accounting for the drop which I haven’t wanted to deal with and just stuck to shorter shots. It’s not the most refined gun but I really like the 2 round magazine for a quick follow up shot if needed but I haven’t needed it yet. The blast of air seems like an over statement to me never noticed any blast but I have the scope set up where my face is behind the mag well which was the most comfortable spot anyway and I never put my hand there I wouldn’t put my hand in that location when firing any gun tbh. Another thing I like about the Hammer is how easy it is to unload unlike a texan where you would need a cleaning rod to get the projectile out if you didn’t fire a shot or some other guns with probes where you could accidentally double feed. My biggest complaint is the noise level. Being a more open mag well it’s like a revolver so a lot of noise comes from there and putting a moderator only does so much. If being quiet is your goal I would go with the AirForce texan. Neither are perfect and have their pluses and minuses but the hammer is powerful and accurate in my experience.