Umarex hammer

Hello i recently bought an airforce texan in 457 and i wanted to buy a gift for my dad and hes more interested in the looks of the umarex hammer 50. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the umarex hammer and if the quality of the rifle is any good? I dont really have any experience with umarex but id rather not spend over 900$ on something thats not worth the money. Main use is deer hunting max range 100 yards most shots are 50-60.

i have a hammer and like it very much !!

everyone bad mouths it on this forum

. i also have a texan in CF .457 and its very nice also.

but for my type hunting, the hammer is hard to beat !

its very accurate and consistent with its POI. like i said, i really like it !

have taken 2 deer with it so far and plan on at least 1 more before 2/10/22

good luck with what ever you choose !!

Problem with big bores is they're difficult to regulate. It requires a HUGE plenum, and a HUGE valve to dump the air in the plenum without getting "valve dump". An expert in regulating big bores is Mr Doug Noble. He's fabricated his own regulators for his bench rest competition big bores. The guy is next level in his thinking and his product. But his regulators are an anomaly. The only "regulated" big bore is the hammer, but it's HUGELY wasteful on air. Just sighting the thing in will kill your fill tank. But if you bought the .50 Texan from AF, and you got yourself the African Air Ordinance upgrade kit, you can go from a 200 BAR fill on the bottle to a 300 BAR fill. This will get you at least 6 or 7 more shots (if not more) than the stock model, which will get you exponentially more shots than the Umarex Hammer will. There's the "bell curve" you experience from shooting a non regulated PCP. But you can predict the shot placement from one shot to the next when you sight in your rifle if it's an unregulated big bore. You just need to keep track of shot placement in a notebook when sighting it in, and you will see that by and large the shot placement will be pretty consistent with your notes.. 

Problem with big bores is they're difficult to regulate. It requires a HUGE plenum, and a HUGE valve to dump the air in the plenum without getting "valve dump". An expert in regulating big bores is Mr Doug Noble. He's fabricated his own regulators for his bench rest competition big bores. The guy is next level in his thinking and his product. But his regulators are an anomaly. The only "regulated" big bore is the hammer, but it's HUGELY wasteful on air. Just sighting the thing in will kill your fill tank. But if you bought the .50 Texan from AF, and you got yourself the African Air Ordinance upgrade kit, you can go from a 200 BAR fill on the bottle to a 300 BAR fill. This will get you at least 6 or 7 more shots (if not more) than the stock model, which will get you exponentially more shots than the Umarex Hammer will. There's the "bell curve" you experience from shooting a non regulated PCP. But you can predict the shot placement from one shot to the next when you sight in your rifle if it's an unregulated big bore. You just need to keep track of shot placement in a notebook when sighting it in, and you will see that by and large the shot placement will be pretty consistent with your notes..

Why would you even want to regulate a hunting big bore ? ........what a waste.

How many shots do you need on a hunt ? ......most likely one, maybe two, 3 on the rarest occasion ?

Don't forget the AEA Challenger series in bullpup $659 or standard rifle. $609

My son owns the .50 bullpup.

A01C1F63-B66C-4396-B78F-9D0AA2C1D66F_1024x10241.1639465685.jpg
DCA420F2-67C6-42A3-8D13-37854421E3DB_1024x10241.1639466029.jpg

Are the AEA guns good quality I’ve never heard of them until recently? They seem to offer a lot with not a big price tag

The one my son bought has very nice fit and finish. It's pretty accurate also but the trigger feels heavy, I'm sure it's adjustable. There are lots of reviews on youtube.

https://youtu.be/LxXOGX11uHY?t=773

if i go big bore again, i would rather save up for an XP rather than any of the above.

by the time you've done everything to the airforce to get it the way you want, you've basically paid for an XP already.

if you want to tinker, and enjoy modifying 1377 crosmans and such, i think an airforce is the way to go.

if you want something you don't need to tinker with to stop it from being hold sensitive, and to deal with barrel harmonics, i would save up for an XP.

https://xp-airguns.com/

Why would you even want to regulate a hunting big bore ? ........what a waste.

How many shots do you need on a hunt ? ......most likely one, maybe two, 3 on the rarest occasion ?
The reason this happens is because airguns don't necessarily perform their best at max fill..you will see alot of air guns shoot faster and harder on the second shot than the very first shot.

Reactions: gendoc