Umarex Hammer barrel problems?

Thought I should update this.

#1 my new to me Hammer arrived but haven't had time to do anything with it.

#2 the refund from Umarex arrived, so everything is square with them.

I really hope they get a better handle on this one QC issue, the rest of the rifle seems like it is made very well. I also posted this update to show that I'm not completely burned on their products, but support needs some overhaul. Parts diagrams are a must have item! Buying special tools will be the next issue as this rifle seems to need a few. I do hope they will sell me parts, that might be a third hurdle to clear. Since this rifle no longer has a warranty (no warranty for second hand purchases) I will need to be able to buy parts to keep it going.

And finally, with the battery mod on my Benjamin compressor, I can fill from 3000 to 4500 in 10 minutes, slightly faster if I have AC power. That's not too bad for the size of the bottle.

Ok, I guess not every barrel for these is a complete dumpster fire!

I just ran my borescope down the barrel, and this one is significantly better. There are a few sharp scratches or carbon deposits, but only a few. And seeing that this one has been shot several times, the lead buildup was far less than either of the two previous rifles!

The crown on all of them has been decent, so no complaints there.

Rust? Yes. Only a couple of deep pits, and a bunch of surface discoloration on other areas. Needs a bit of time with some abrasive polish.

The breech... It appears that they can't seem to get any of these bored out on center. Maybe this is a feature, but I can't understand how this could be of value!!! Got that semi circular cut just like the previous video shows. I snapped a couple of stills and grabbed a new video, I'll get that stuff uploaded when I can.

This used rifle is holding air, came with a Donny FL adapter already fitted, now has my muzzle brake installed.

The only issue I have right now is that I found my sizing die is producing 0.509 results. Need to polish that out a bit more because ammo is really loose in the magazines. Especially so with powder coat because it is so slippery.

Now all this said, I really hope Umarex support will work with me when it comes time to "fix" this barrel. The breech o ring install is not trivial, I think it takes a special tool to press it in place. You won't realize this until you pull the barrel and try to put it back. If anyone knows the secret, please tell me. If you have pictures of any special tools, that would be fantastic, I can probably make anything I might need. Again, Umarex, this is your opportunity at redemption, please give us the parts and service info we might need to service our own stuff. It is not your fault if we do something stupid and get hurt, the responsibility falls on the person doing the work. And a lot of us know which end of a screwdriver to hold.

Hopefully I can shoot this soon, want to see how it does. Hoping I can hold under 4 inches at 100 yards with the 9x scope. That would impress a lot of people at the firearms range, even better if I can ring the steel at 200 yards or the 300 yard plate. Also hoping my muzzle brake helps with the push.

Worked this morning at my club fixing some "issues" in the indoor pistol range and stopped really quick to shoot this. 3 shots with the 450 grain stuff... Not really any kick that I was concerned about, a bit more than my Bulldog, but not giving me a black eye worth. I'm guessing that my muzzle brake must be working pretty good. Not really try for accuracy, just wanted to push one tank worth down range.

Yes there was a puff of air, yes it is distracting, pretty sure I'll get accustomed to it.

Finally got time to shoot this a little, I still need lots of practice. The drop between 25 yards and 50 yards is about 12 inches with a 400 grain boattail. Think I may change to 20moa rings to help the scope out. My accuracy at 50 is horrible, pretty sure most of this is my fault. The 9x scope isn't helping too much either. But it shoots. I have 2 videos of the barrel and might do another tonight to see what it looks like after 10 rounds.

Reactions: gendoc
Finally got time to shoot this a little, I still need lots of practice. The drop between 25 yards and 50 yards is about 12 inches with a 400 grain boattail. Think I may change to 20moa rings to help the scope out. My accuracy at 50 is horrible, pretty sure most of this is my fault. The 9x scope isn't helping too much either. But it shoots. I have 2 videos of the barrel and might do another tonight to see what it looks like after 10 rounds.
work on hold and follow-thru.....it helped alot with POI for me 👨‍🌾

I was using a junk rest, going to put a bipod on it. Also going to change to a 30 moa mount, I'm already over 20 to get to 50 yards.

Nope no velocity data, forget to check batteries for my FX radar. I'll have to get out again this week for more shooting. I was using the ~400 grain boat tail rounds sized to .5105 and powder coated.

I also just need a ton of practice. Only mod that might be messing with it is the Donny FL adapter, and the muzzle brake I made. The brake shouldn't be doing anything, but you never know.