Umarex Hammer air blow back ?

Personally I would just stay away from the Hammer, go with a Texan, better customer service, better rifle, 

The air blow back shouldnt be in your face, but if you were to place your hand over the mag while shooting that could be very dangerous, being its a bull pup design without a sealed mag well air does blow out the mag port. I owned a hammer and found this to be the most minor issue in relation to the rest of the rifle.

Reactions: 72Nova
Yeah, it blows right in your face if you’re right handed. Lefty’s don’t have to worry about it because the mag stop kind of blocks it. Actually, it kind of blows right in my eyes. I wear Oakley glasses when I shoot or it would be annoying.

I’m kind of torn, I want to like the Hammer but I’m having trouble with it. The cocking handle broke on mine and it has developed a leak. Umarex won’t sell you parts for it, you have to send it to them for service. I regret getting mine, honestly. It’s decently accurate and I like the quick follow up shot potential, but I feel like it’s kind of a dud at this point. Just my opinion…

I agree that a Texan would be a better purchase. I like both my Texan and my Texan SS. 

Yeah, it blows right in your face if you’re right handed. Lefty’s don’t have to worry about it. Actually, it kind of blows right in my eyes. I wear Oakley glasses when I shoot or it would be annoying.

I’m kind of torn, I want to like the Hammer but I’m having trouble with it. The cocking handle broke on mine and it has developed a leak. Umarex won’t sell you parts for it, you have to send it to them for service. I regret getting mine, honestly.

I agree that a Texan would be a better purchase. I like both my Texan and my Texan SS.

Umarex customer service and protocols were the last straw for me, traded it for a texan.

Yeah, it blows right in your face if you’re right handed. Lefty’s don’t have to worry about it because the mag stop kind of blocks it. Actually, it kind of blows right in my eyes. I wear Oakley glasses when I shoot or it would be annoying.

I'm watching many folks shoot this hammer pcp. And never is their face right next to the mag and none reported about the air hitting their face. why would you even put your face next to the mag knowing that is also the chamber and air will blast out. Very dangerous. Mr hollow point explained he had his hand where the mag was cause he was use to holding it like that and when he shot it, his hands hurts like hell from the air blow back. If you're putting your face right next to the mag, I think that is user error. Not the gun. I believe in the manual it says do not put your hands near the mag. I dont think it said anything about the face cause that just common sense.

I'm watching many folks shoot this hammer pcp. And never is their face right next to the mag and none reported about the air hitting their face. why would you even put your face next to the mag knowing that is also the chamber and air will blast out. Very dangerous. Mr hollow point explained he had his hand where the mag was cause he was use to holding it like that and when he shot it, his hands hurts like hell from the air blow back. If you're putting your face right next to the mag, I think that is user error. Not the gun. I believe in the manual it says do not put your hands near the mag. I dont think it said anything about the face cause that just common sense.

Have you shot one? You’re trying to tell me what the gun shoots like from watching videos? I own one and I put my face where it goes when you shoot. Not sure where else you could put it. User error you say? That gun will kick the crap out of you if you’re not shouldering it properly. Not really sure what you think that could be done differently?
It’s funny that an “internet expert” is trying to tell me what it’s like. Believe what you want there buddy. 👍

Here’s mine, where’s yours?

AE9D1B84-6E17-4202-AF7E-62CC4D6BB0D2.1647604665.jpeg

Have you shot one? Your trying to tell me what the gun shoots like from watching videos? I own one. It’s funny that an “internet expert” is trying to tell me what it’s like. Believe what you want there buddy. 👍

I did own one and while it doesn't blow back directly, at least didn't seem that way to me , it is a BLAST of air so I was bit concerned and it does kiss your face. What concerned me more about this issue is 1 time the mag did not move properly and it shaved lead from the round, while this air made its blast out of the mag well it impaled a piece of lead into my skin, albeit not very deep, enough to burn and catch my attention with a constant flow of blood.

@ancientsword 

Ah, I see your setup. Using a prismatic almost zero eye relief so you have to be up in it to see. I mounted my atn with reverse cantilever so it puts it in a more comfortable head position for me. I barely feel the air puff with my setup. For bench shooting on bags, I also remove the foregrip to stop it from pushing on the barrel. 

It’s an electronic scope, Sightmark Wrath 4k, I’m not that close to it. It’s not as short an eye relief as a prismatic scope.

I wasn’t saying it blasts my face hard, I just get annoyed at the air traveling into my eyes. It drys my eyes out and it’s a distraction if you let it be. I got used to it after a while but if I think about it, it’s annoying.

Yeah, it blows right in your face if you’re right handed. Lefty’s don’t have to worry about it because the mag stop kind of blocks it. Actually, it kind of blows right in my eyes. I wear Oakley glasses when I shoot or it would be annoying.

I’m kind of torn, I want to like the Hammer but I’m having trouble with it. The cocking handle broke on mine and it has developed a leak. Umarex won’t sell you parts for it, you have to send it to them for service. I regret getting mine, honestly. It’s decently accurate and I like the quick follow up shot potential, but I feel like it’s kind of a dud at this point. Just my opinion…

That sucks to hear about the hammer. I was really thinking about going with the hammer over the texan because of the 2 shot mag but the mag not sealing seems like a big oversight or at least they should have built in a shroud to deflect the air for right handed shooters. How is the noise level on the Hammer vs texan vs texan ss?

The only time I noticed it was while benched and sighting it in. I got in a crazy posture and it surprised me with the blast in the face. When held normally I am never more than "annoyed".
That is good to hear. Seems like some people hate it and others dont find it to be a big deal. I wonder if it comes down to shooting posture and where the scope is set up? I am still on the fence between the hammer and the Texan.