Umarex Hammer air blow back ?

I am looking into big bore air rifles and have read some review that the Umarex Hammer has an issue with air blowback into your face when firing. I was wondering if anyone on this forum could provide an opinion of how much of a real problem this is? Thank you.
I believe it is a pretty substantial issue (only my opinion here). I understand some like the platform and more power to them, but I believe it should have been constructed differently. Yes, I have shot them a few times.

I own an Umarex Hammer. I've not noticed any air blowback to my face. If held and shot correctly you shouldn't notice any air coming out of the gun. It is powerful and accurate and no I don't work for Umarex, I'm just a regular Joe in Danville Kentucky

View attachment 309549
I got a hammer and it’s been a great gun for me. Very accurate and very powerful. I harvested my first whitetail yesterday with a double lung shot with the Lehigh defense controlled chaos 240 grain slugs. The Doe ran about 40 yards before expiring. Although it doesn’t feel as refined as some other PCPs I have shot for the price it performs better than I could have expected. Also not sponsored just an average Jim from Texas who spent his own money on air guns (nearly all of the moneys). Any airgun manufacturers that do want to sponsor me my DM’s are open though 😂

I believe it is a pretty substantial issue (only my opinion here). I understand some like the platform and more power to them, but I believe it should have been constructed differently. Yes, I have shot them a few times.
They definitely could have been designed and constructed much better hopefully they will have a version 2 at some point to improve on the design but I have to say I am pretty happy with mine.

They definitely could have been designed and constructed much better hopefully they will have a version 2 at some point to improve on the design but I have to say I am pretty happy with mine.
My issue is that the air discharge in the mag area is a safety issue, one that Umarex knows about! In fact their instructions specifically cite the danger of this area if you place your hand or face there. I believe the 3 year delay on the release of this gun was likely in an attempt to solve the issue, but once they realized it would add 200-400 bucks to do it, they probably said forget it just produce it as is and place a warning label in the instructions. But like I said, some like them.

I hope they address it in the future.

Last edited by a moderator: