Umarex Gauntlet video review by AEAC

I'm troubled by the change in number of shots to assess the accuracy of the Gauntlet. If Steve's typical number of shots has increased from 5 to 10 ten for this review, then interested parties need to consider that groupings increase for 10 shots. I believe Tom Gaylord has quoted 40% increase in group size for 10 versus 5 shot groups.

I'm sure everyone on this forum understands this important detail...but it doesn't seem fair to change the methodology and then report results in Steve's usual and high quality format.

Guys,

Shots: I went with 10 shot groups because some of you had been asking me to and I thought you'd like it. Never again, I promise.

Clothes: If my clothes are "suspect" then I'm not your guy. Please move along to a reviewer with whom you have a greater level of trust. Day one of filming was a Thursday December 7th... it was 80* out and I filmed as long as I could before the rain chased me out. Day two was Monday the 11th after the cold front moved through. It was 47* for the AM film and warmed up to 65* in the afternoon.

Best,
Steve

I think your review was pretty fair. I think people are expecting you to say that the Gauntlet is a "Giant Killer." Truth is it is and it ain't. If you talking about accuracy alone then it should be almost as good as expensive PCPs out there. At least for the one I got. Mine shoots ~.5" all day long at 50 yard and ~1.25-1.50" at 100 yards. While it is a great accurate rifle with many features for under $300, like you mention, it definitely feels like a $300 rifle. I don't have any $1000+ PCP and can only compare the Gauntlet to the my Marauder. In my opinion the Marauder is better built and more refine. The action on the Marauder is a lot smoother. One thing I kind of have to disagree with you is that the Gauntlet actually has a really good trigger. It just takes a little elbow grease get it good though. I was able to get mine to break like glass at precisely at 1lb with absolutely pre or post trigger pull creep. Things I don't like about my Gaunlet: It feels way too long, ergos a little wonky, action is just inherently not as smooth as it could be, and maybe the rifles operation harmonics (if there is such a thing). Would I buy this rifle over again or recommend this to anyone one? Definitely yes. It's a really good rifle to tweak and tune with. In my opinion my ideal of a giant killer would be an air tank regulated rifle like Gauntlet with the ergos and length of the Gamo Urban, fully shrouded and with integrated whisper maxxim moderator, and shots 18grs pallets at 850+ fps for 50+ shots for $300. :)

Nice review, Steve. The big negatives for me are the weight and the front sling stud issue. I really like a sling and had to clamp a single barrel shotgun sling mount to my Discovery's air tube to get it where I want it. The Gauntlet is just not a great gun for the kind of hunting I do. But the shot string is awesome and your 1/2 inch 10-shot group at 50 yds was an eye opener for me. Wow. Gun has potential. For those reasons you really can't go wrong for the money. Ted just did an unboxing video and seems to share your initial impressions by the way. Thanks for the informative review.

Steve, another great review. Honest, straight-forward and just long enough to keep my interest. The Gauntlet should be interesting for those just getting into PCP’s and for the money, it’s hard to beat. 

Hardly a gun that’s going to compete with a RAW or other high-end gun but you could buy 3 Gauntlets with scopes for the price of one.

I also think it may be an entry level Field Target gun in .177. It’s tough to spend big money to find out whether you like the game and the Gauntlet gets you in on the cheap. 

I have a .22 version coming soon and I will add to this post after I evaluate. 

It will indeed make an excellent entry level FT rifle. The stock is well suited to the seated position, trigger is great, regulated. 
Groups well enough in .177 , remember I am far from an excellent shooter.
765e1feeaef12530a70ed57d63f34436.jpg

Very close to the QB78HPA I used for years with some improvements most will enjoy ( 10 shot, ... ).

Cut or lighten the hammer spring and you loose no power ( .177 ) but gain shots and less jump perhaps. More than enough regulated shots for an entire match for $300 and with the air consumption under control , not that it's bad as is, only 2 pumps per shot if hand pumping. The only thing mine really needed was an extra washer forward trigger bolt so it did not protrude into the tube.

The low budget regulated FT rig I used ( still shoot ) years ago for FT
45ce17694a7e9926d5a7c5a16841dbcb.jpg

John

"parallax"I'm troubled by the change in number of shots to assess the accuracy of the Gauntlet. If Steve's typical number of shots has increased from 5 to 10 ten for this review, then interested parties need to consider that groupings increase for 10 shots. I believe Tom Gaylord has quoted 40% increase in group size for 10 versus 5 shot groups.
I'm sure everyone on this forum understands this important detail...but it doesn't seem fair to change the methodology and then report results in Steve's usual and high quality format.
My point....but you do it with a little more tact.

"AEAC"Guys,
Shots: I went with 10 shot groups because some of you had been asking me to and I thought you'd like it. Never again, I promise.
Clothes: If my clothes are "suspect" then I'm not your guy. Please move along to a reviewer with whom you have a greater level of trust. Day one of filming was a Thursday December 7th... it was 80* out and I filmed as long as I could before the rain chased me out. Day two was Monday the 11th after the cold front moved through. It was 47* for the AM film and warmed up to 65* in the afternoon.
Best,
Steve
I understand the testing being broken up over several days, and your reasons seem valid. Do you think that a temp change of almost 40F would have an effect on how the gun shoots?....or 20F for that matter, What was the changes in the BP.....humidity.....all of this has an effect as I am sure you know.

I am not saying the gun is good or bad, And really I view all reviews that get the item for free....any item, be it a gun or blender with a bit of a jaded eye. A little like reading reviews in a firearms magazine.....I still remember the Remington R51 being fantastic according to gun rags....Not meaning to be a slight to you but it is just years of reading and watching. I have actually unsubscribed from one youtube channel (not yours, I do enjoy your style) because this channel now has a pro shop and he is pimping those offerings very hard.....sure you are going to give those products with fact not fluff.

I do agree with the 10 shots, that is how I shoot all my guns....and I agree with Gaylords statement that is gives a better idea on just what that gun will do.....you are changing up the testing however and to judge this against others is not an even test....the weather changes are also going to effect just how everything goes.

Keep up the good work, I have bought guns based on your review.....my long awaited Maximus, Chief are the two latest ones....and I enjoy messing with the guns....I like to tinker.

All that said, it really looks like you are fishing for bad things to say about it....4hrs to adjust a qb trigger group....how....really how, and with no polishing.....turning 3 screws....I don't get it, and the best you could get was 2lbs....not going to buy it. That trigger group is about the most adjustable out there....not just in inexpensive guns but out there....one of the many things the qb does well.

I also have a bias for the QB series, I do own several, and I do like them, they punch way above their weight class.....

sorry I did not present my comments in a more friendly manner, but with many things in your review of this product you are wrong.

Thanks Steve for another great review, and I still appreciate the testing in the "real world" conditions. The only interest I have here is to see if the $299 (or $242 or whatever) price tag delivers a viable PCP that is accurate, ergonomic, and feasible. Sounds like the overall answer is "heck yes" but with some caveats. I, for one, fully expected the caveats. Seems like a decent enough platform and will undoubtedly put some pressure on other manufacturers to offer a high level of functionality and a more than decent level of accuracy at a VERY competitive price. I wasn't expecting a FX or Kalibrgun or Daystate or RAW type of product quality in pretty much any aspect of this particular rifle. I think your review reflected all of these points - at least from my point of view.

I've read all the comments in this thread - I can appreciate those comments/criticisms that are given in a fair tone without accusation or implication. The others just seem to come off as tantrums.

Keep up the good work, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Scott