• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Umarex Gauntlet A tale of two tanks

Dog

Jul 22, 2023
Moved!
Gauntlet .25

200psi diference with same Diablo King 25.39 8 shots each Chrony group.

UX Stock Bottle 13 CU 1900 psi measured @ 1700 psi

Average: 923.5 FPS
SD: 2.8 FPS
Min: 920 FPS
Max: 927 FPS
Spread: 7 FPS
Shot/sec: 0.0
True MV: 924 FPS

New 22 CU bottle ordered 1900 psi measured output 1900 psi ($180)

Average: 865.7 FPS
SD: 7.3 FPS
Min: 855 FPS
Max: 880 FPS
Spread: 25 FPS
True MV: 866 FPS

So, my Gauntlet not happy with 200 psi more. Note that Ninja style reg has about 1/16" shorter nose so not sure how much of the center pin depressed for full flow into gun if any.

Anyone with like results?

Check out Airgun Detective's YouTube video on the power upgrade for the Gauntlet .25. Picked up a $40 (3,000 psi) 23 cubic-inch bottle and $26 (2100psi) regulator, on eBay, to replace the factory 13 cubic-inch bottle and 1900 psi regulator. Only downside was the factory regulator has gauge directly across from foster fitting, replacement reg has them at 90 degrees. Lining up foster fitting places gauge facing shroud but can still see to fill. My Gauntlet never liked JSB 25.39s but loves the 33.95s. Chronograph shows FPS up from 738.9 to 798.8 and FPE from 41.2 to 48.1. WM

Gauntlet .25

200psi diference with same Diablo King 25.39 8 shots each Chrony group.

UX Stock Bottle 13 CU 1900 psi measured @ 1700 psi

Average: 923.5 FPS
SD: 2.8 FPS
Min: 920 FPS
Max: 927 FPS
Spread: 7 FPS
True MV: 924 FPS

New 22 CU bottle ordered 1900 psi measured output 1900 psi ($180)

Average: 865.7 FPS
SD: 7.3 FPS
Min: 855 FPS
Max: 880 FPS
Spread: 25 FPS
True MV: 866 FPS

So, my Gauntlet not happy with 200 psi more. Note that Ninja style reg has about 1/16" shorter nose so not sure how much of the center pin depressed for full flow into gun if any.

Anyone with like results?
so you mentioned that you were not sure if the pin opened the bottle all the way... is it able to be swapped full?
only thing that comes to mind is if the bottle regulator assembly is part of the pelinum..
Mark

Check out Airgun Detective's YouTube video on the power upgrade for the Gauntlet .25. Picked up a $40 (3,000 psi) 23 cubic-inch bottle and $26 (2100psi) regulator, on eBay, to replace the factory 13 cubic-inch bottle and 1900 psi regulator. Only downside was the factory regulator has gauge directly across from foster fitting, replacement reg has them at 90 degrees. Lining up foster fitting places gauge facing shroud but can still see to fill. My Gauntlet never liked JSB 25.39s but loves the 33.95s. Chronograph shows FPS up from 738.9 to 798.8 and FPE from 41.2 to 48.1. WM
is that regulator adjustable? is the pelenium different size between the 22,25, and 30 caliber? how about between the 22 Gen 1&2??

not to hijack,
but most of those paintball type bottle regs,
allow you to swap the burst disk and gauge locations,
so you can position the gauge directly across from the foster like the factory setup.

most of those paintball type bottle regs,
allow you to swap the burst disk and gauge locations,
Not that I’ve seen. Most have a gauge and fill nipple that are 1/8-27 NPT, whereas unified burst disks 3/8" - 24 NF. Their outside diameters are very similar so it may be tempting to try but it would not be a properly supported connection.

Granted there could be some examples out there where the gauge and burst disk is interchangeable but it is not the usual case.

Not that I’ve seen. Most have a gauge and fill nipple that are 1/8-27 NPT, whereas unified burst disks 3/8" - 24 NF. Their outside diameters are very similar so it may be tempting to try but it would not be a properly supported connection.

Granted there could be some examples out there where the gauge and burst disk is interchangeable but it is not the usual case.

maybe i was thinking of an adjustable bonnet to rotate the gauge

is that regulator adjustable? is the pelenium different size between the 22,25, and 30 caliber? how about between the 22 Gen 1&2??
Mark,
Sorry for late reply, been frozen out of internet all day, guess Cyber Monday is now Cyber Thanksgiving Week. You can buy adjustable regulators, mostly these paintball style ones are specific to pressure, just buy the one you want. Not sure about plenum sizes. WM

Reactions: markhooper

Thanks, Nervous, I asked Airgun Detectives if they're interchangeable, they said weren't just suggested to look at an angle to see gauge face, not ideal, but doable. Hajimoto has correctly angled regulator for $178, little more than the $26, I paid.

Thanks for the replies. Hammer spring came up a few times in the past. Regulator is being swapped out, for free, @1700 next week to compare with stock. I changed out tank block o-rings and UX center fill port to get gun leak free. Good shooting $200 rifle. Thx.
Never adjusted hammer spring on mine, the Airgun Detectives modification gets the original Gauntlet .25 more in line with the upgrades Umarex did with the Gauntlet 2 .25. Larger bottle (except, I think, G2 bottle is 4500psi rated compared to Airgun Detectives 3,000psi recommended one) and the 2100psi regulator. I was lucky to get a G1 that shot JSB 33.95s so dead-accurate, upgrade hasn't changed that, just added 7 FPE and lots more shots per fill, good upgrade, IMO, for $66. WM

Do you have any links to these ebay regs? I see where a few people were asking, the same, on the video. I looked and found nothing i could trust. Shame that not one of the tank swaps posted their cronys. Seeing the SD and Spread tells me a lot on overall reg performance. I bought mine from Joe Brancato who has a great rep..and told me to change out hammer spring. Cheers

Do you have any links to these ebay regs? I see where a few people were asking, the same, on the video. I looked and found nothing i could trust. Shame that not one of the tank swaps posted their cronys. Seeing the SD and Spread tells me a lot on overall reg performance. I bought mine from Joe Brancato who has a great rep..and told me to change out hammer spring. Cheers
Don't do links, not computer savvy, just searched, "paintball regulators," or "PCP regulators," until I found a 2100psi one that matched thread sizes quoted by Airgun Detectives. If I recall correctly, the advertisement listed several different available psi ratings, just selected 2100. Searched high and low for same configuration as original, only ones were 4x the price, not worth it, IMO, for a $300 gun and 7 FPE increase. My chronograph results: FPS increased from 738.9 to 798.8, SD dropped from 7.62 to 5.43, FPE increased from 41.2 to 48.1. ES was 24.9, never recorded ES after upgrade, can't recall reason, oversight, I guess. WM

Reactions: Dog