• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Umarex Gauntlet 30 dumps air

Thought this info might be useful for those who run into the same problem. I took the afternoon off for an appointment, only to have it postponed. To work out my aggravation I figured I would take it out on some cans. I love to watch them dance, ya know? I have a bunch of 47 grain slugs I wanted to get rid of anyway.

After a few shots, the rifle started dumping air. Pulling back the bolt stopped it, but the next shot did the same thing. Figuring perhaps a valve issue, possibly an o-ring, I started to take it down. But when I got it out of the stock, I noticed the front bolt on the trigger group was loose, just barely, but you could wiggle the trigger assembly ever so slightly.

Tightened that bolt and aired it back up... works fine now. Shot about 30 more rounds no problem. I'm gonna have to clean up a bunch of cans though.

Wondering if anyone else ran into this with their Gauntlet, or any other rifle.

Reactions: Mike927
Mine dumped air once. This was probably day 2 of owning the rifle, so I was messing with the hammer spring adjustment.

"Gee, I wonder how many turns in I can go?"

Proceed to turn it probably a dozen times or more clockwise. As you probably know, there's not really any point in going past about 4 turns in.

Took the shot and PSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I was very happy to find that after resetting the hammer spring to a reasonable position and filling it up, there was no further issue.

It's sure is tempting to see how much you can turn it up! By the way, did you get a chronograph reading? :)

I read somewhere of another person who did the same thing, with the same result. Luckily nothing was damaged.

Hard air mag has an article that claims the best speed for slugs is 800 to 900 fps, so I had turned mine down a bit to see what the result was at 870. It seemed to help in a 10 mph crosswind, I was getting results that closely agreed with the calculators prediction.

But time will tell. I will probably tweak it up to see how much I can get away with...just hope I don't dump air again!

It's sure is tempting to see how much you can turn it up! By the way, did you get a chronograph reading? :)

I read somewhere of another person who did the same thing, with the same result. Luckily nothing was damaged.

Hard air mag has an article that claims the best speed for slugs is 800 to 900 fps, so I had turned mine down a bit to see what the result was at 870. It seemed to help in a 10 mph crosswind, I was getting results that closely agreed with the calculators prediction.

But time will tell. I will probably tweak it up to see how much I can get away with...just hope I don't dump air again!

I was doing chrony readings that day, thus trying to turn it up and see max power.

Now I know 4 turns is max power, the 5th turn actually drops slightly, and after that nothing changes from what I could tell.

I was shooting my G30 @ 75 yards with Griffin 64 grain slugs today.... first time at that distance with these... and thought the groups seemed a little weak. Took out the chrony and I was only shooting about 800 fps. Hmm. I backed out the hammer spring and it was about 3 turns back. So I turned it back in 4 turns. 903 fps on the chrony and much better groups. Not to mention the gun was really kickin'!

When I shoot pellets I consider 3 turns in max effective power, but I guess these heavier slugs need a little extra push! I do love this gun though, and I can't wait to put a Hajimoto side lever on it ASAP.

Really hope someone comes out with an "external hammer spring adjustment knob" upgrade for the G30 as well.

Thought this info might be useful for those who run into the same problem. I took the afternoon off for an appointment, only to have it postponed. To work out my aggravation I figured I would take it out on some cans. I love to watch them dance, ya know? I have a bunch of 47 grain slugs I wanted to get rid of anyway.

After a few shots, the rifle started dumping air. Pulling back the bolt stopped it, but the next shot did the same thing. Figuring perhaps a valve issue, possibly an o-ring, I started to take it down. But when I got it out of the stock, I noticed the front bolt on the trigger group was loose, just barely, but you could wiggle the trigger assembly ever so slightly.

Tightened that bolt and aired it back up... works fine now. Shot about 30 more rounds no problem. I'm gonna have to clean up a bunch of cans though.

image.jpg

Mine dumped air once. This was probably day 2 of owning the rifle, so I was messing with the hammer spring adjustment.

"Gee, I wonder how many turns in I can go?"

Proceed to turn it probably a dozen times or more clockwise. As you probably know, there's not really any point in going past about 4 turns in.

Took the shot and PSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I was very happy to find that after resetting the hammer spring to a reasonable position and filling it up, there was no further issue.
How do I do this?