• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Umarex gauntlet. 25 slug questions

I was informed I could shoot slugs out of my .22 gauntlet. I tried several different sizes of NSA slugs without good luck. Never tried any other brands. Recently sold the gun to a friend so i can't try the FX slugs that are giving me good results out of another gun. Your results may vary.

Just getting into tuning myself, and I am finding that hammer spring settings have a lot to do with slug accuracy and the efficiency of the gun when shooting slugs. The gauntlet does not have an externally adjustable HS or regulator. However, Hajimoto has several videos (youtube) that show how to drill the rear of the stock for HS adjustment without removing the stock for each adjustment. He also sells other hammer springs, poppets and washers that can adjust the regulator. I'm definitely not experienced at tuning, but with some help from the forums and members here, you will be on the right track.

I have an umarex gauntlet .25 bought it recently haven't even shot it however I bought it with the idea I could shoot slugs only to find out the barrel is choked and doesnt shoot slugs well. What can I do to shoot slugs? Heavier the better originally wanted a coyote airgun.

The .25 cal gauntlet does Not have a choked barrel. Yes with some mods, you can get the gauntlet to shoot slugs. You need to be able to gain control of the hammer spring by way of the Jsar super tune kit the Hajimoto offers. You also need a way to test the regulator to see where it is at, as well as shims to adjust the regulator set point. An adjustable regulator would be even better. it allows the regulator pressure to be adjusted up and down easier and faster.

Once those are in place. You'll need to some extensive barrel work to get the slugs chambering smoothly. the gauntlet has a pellet barrel, not a pellet/slug barrel. You'll need to do some porting work on the barrel as well. In the chamber where you load the pellets/slugs, the lead has a sharp 90* step that is just beyond the transfer port, this needs to be softened up and angled to break the sharp edge. this sharp edge is causing damage to the slug as it rides across it and the rough chamber that will be felt. the freebore of the lead-in is .254" in diameter. then you hit this .002" step as it goes into the .250" bore of the barrel. Then I would look at the crown (muzzle end) of the barrel and make sure it is in good shape.

It is a lot of fine adjustment and tweaks to the barrel but it can be done.