• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Umarex Gauntlet .22 Hard to chamber.

I just purchased a UG .22 refurbished for under $200. It looks new, works great. I know these guns are hard to cock but it's not bad. My problem is the force needed to chamber a pellet. The CPHP are the hardest, the. JSB pellets are easier. Is this normal for these guns? My cheif 2 is buttery smooth compared to it, so is the Gamo Urban. It feels like the pellet may be getting damaged however it achieved a 1.5 inch group at 60y with the JSB 15.89, the CPHP about 2 inches. My hand is sore after 5 mags. It does this with or without the magazine. 

could be three things.

1) check the magazine for sharp edges. could be catching the probe o-rigs on the way through.

2) being refurbished some one may have put the incorrect probe o-rings on it.

3) look at the pellet bore enterance into the barrel. may have a burr or not be very well crowned causing pellets to scuff going through.

i have the .25 gauntlet and pushing pellets into the bore is slightly sticky, but not unreasonable, i could shoot all day with no chambering issues

I had the same problem with mine. Just pull the barrel, a small dole rod and some fine sand paper. Attach the sand paper to the dole rod, chuck it in a drill and sand the breech end of the barrel, check often by pushing pellets through breech end till the pellets push in with a little resistance. Make sure to clean the sandings out of the barrel each time before you push a pellet through. 
Butch

Something I forgot to tell you. When you look in the barrel from the breech side, you will see a sharp edge from the smooth breech to the start of the rifling, that is the edge that you need to smooth out so the pellet engages the rifling smoothly and not gouging the pellet. Keep in mind JSBs are much softer lead them Crosman pellets and easy to push in. 
Butch

CPHP's are hard and can really be a pain to seat in my break barrel's. I've actually had to use a pellet seater to keep my fingers from getting beat up.

If you had better luck with the JSB's, why not just order some pellets with a smaller head diameter? Most are sized 5.52mm but you can get 5.51 H&N's from various dealers. Maybe even some smaller heads.

I've only seen a .177 and a .22 on both they set an all time record for most abrupt and significant 90 degree breech chamfer. My (used) .22 shot lights out, really otustanding & no shift ever. Maybe 5,000 pellets and w/in a couple of clips ( 1 ?) horrid groups everywhere. Once I pulled the barrel you could see the 3/4 of a rings of built up lead with a chunk missing. It has built a up great deal of lead filling in this 90 degree edge.

Right or wrong I used a bore mop sopped in polish & hand dril on both with good result.

It is the breech chamfer causing your issue.

John

I thought I’d have a look at a loaded pellet from a G2. When I pushed it back out into the breech, I got lead flakes with it. I’m just conflicted on returning it, or recutting that breech chamfer.
D96572A5-C3C6-4269-A125-8B6A429C6762.1634906188.jpeg