Umarex Umarex Gauntlet 2 PCP .22 heavy vs 30 cal

I want to start by saying I do not know much about the Umarex Gauntlet 2 line other than the videos on Uboob. Please help me understand somethings about the gun and what it is capable of doing in both the .22 or 30 cal.

Fact is weight with speed = fpe. Basically right so what I am getting at if I take a .22 cal and drop a 44g projectile in it doing 1040 its no different than dropping a using a 30 cal 44g pellet going 1040. Larger surface mass will decrease speed faster. Just trying to understand what route I would like to take next. So.....

What is the heaviest projectile that will fit in the mag on a Gauntlet 2 in .22cal?

Same goes for the 30cal?

I guess I will start here and keep working on getting to the point. At the end I am looking to see if it would be better to mod a 22 to a heavy slugger or just go with 30 call. I thing but am not sure that you could get a lot more shots on the 22 cal route.

I hope my thoughts came across how I was intending to ask them but may have not. Here goes nothing.

Because a .30 caliber has more surface area for the air to push on it will generate more power than a .22 caliber given all the other variables being the same. (Air pressure, barrel length...etc)

A good article here to explain.

A little homework should find some answers. On Pyramyd Air's website, search, "Calculators," then, "Muzzle Energy." Next stop, ammo section, search heaviest offerings in .22 and .30. (Predator Polymags .30 are too long for Gauntlet magazines, but best guess is anything else on website should fit.) Plugging numbers in muzzle energy calculator with FPS should point you in right direction. WM

Reactions: Dogowsky
Because a .30 caliber has more surface area for the air to push on it will generate more power than a .22 caliber given all the other variables being the same. (Air pressure, barrel length...etc)

A good article here to explain.

Loren thanks for replying. Nice articular but at no point do they offer the same weight projectile in the different caliber. I understand what you are saying that the 30 cal rifle will generate more air as the ports are larger and so on. I just think you are not seeing the question as I am intending it to be seen. My fingers do not translate my ideas to the computer very well.

A little homework should find some answers. On Pyramyd Air's website, search, "Calculators," then, "Muzzle Energy." Next stop, ammo section, search heaviest offerings in .22 and .30. (Predator Polymags .30 are too long for Gauntlet magazines, but best guess is anything else on website should fit.) Plugging numbers in muzzle energy calculator with FPS should point you in right direction. WM
Thanks for the idea. I used the pyramyd air calculator and found that they do not even ask what Caliber the projectile is when looking for energy. Could not find any info on what the largest size projectile you can fit in the mags. If anyone has a G2 in either cal please let me know this answer. Thanks.

Reactions: WorriedMan
Loren thanks for replying. Nice articular but at no point do they offer the same weight projectile in the different caliber. I understand what you are saying that the 30 cal rifle will generate more air as the ports are larger and so on. I just think you are not seeing the question as I am intending it to be seen. My fingers do not translate my ideas to the computer very well.
What I am trying to point out is you are not going to push the same weight in a .22 caliber as you can in a .30 caliber with basically the same rifle. The physics just does not work out that way.

The .22 caliber is going to produce pretty close to 33 FPE regardless of projectile weight. Go heavy and you will go slower. Go light and you go faster....but the result is going to be 33 FPE give or take a little.

Given that, if you shot a Nielsen 38gr 22 caliber round it would have an estimated speed of 625 fps.

There is just no free lunch...lol

I want to start by saying I do not know much about the Umarex Gauntlet 2 line other than the videos on Uboob. Please help me understand somethings about the gun and what it is capable of doing in both the .22 or 30 cal.

Fact is weight with speed = fpe. Basically right so what I am getting at if I take a .22 cal and drop a 44g projectile in it doing 1040 its no different than dropping a using a 30 cal 44g pellet going 1040. Larger surface mass will decrease speed faster. Just trying to understand what route I would like to take next. So.....

What is the heaviest projectile that will fit in the mag on a Gauntlet 2 in .22cal?

Same goes for the 30cal?

I guess I will start here and keep working on getting to the point. At the end I am looking to see if it would be better to mod a 22 to a heavy slugger or just go with 30 call. I thing but am not sure that you could get a lot more shots on the 22 cal route.

I hope my thoughts came across how I was intending to ask them but may have not. Here goes nothing.
If cheap big 22 air power is what your looking for a used AEA challenger pro can be had for $500.00 here on the classified s. They will sling 40 grains at a1000 fps...Not a AEA man but what you get for $500.00...