Umarex Gauntlet 2 in 30 Cal - Anything better for about the same price for shooting 30 cal slugs and heavy pellets?

I have two nice shooting 22 cal PCP guns but now considering a 30 cal to shoot my own cast slugs at 50 to 100 yards, as well as heavier factory made pellets as an option. I know that the Umarex Gauntlet 2 isn't tunable out of the box, but I can add a Hajimoto adjuster to give it a huge range of velocity, for $80 or so if I feel the need later with lighter weight pellets. Is there a significantly better gun with a decent shot count 390+ CC bottle, in 30 cal, that doesn't cost more than $500 that I should be looking at? I found a like new one, in the box for about $100 delivered less than web pricing on a new one.

Any suggestions on a bullet mold and heavier pellets to try in it if I do buy one, would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys.

I have no clue as to what the land and groove diameter would be on the Gauntlet 2 30 cal. I suppose I could call Umarex. Since my main intent is to shoot my own cast slugs, I suppose I could wait to get the gun, measure the land and groove dims and order a mold that will produce the diameter that will most likely produce the best accuracy.

I should have added (I did add it to the original post.) that I wanted a gun with a fairly large air chamber on it for carrying in the field - Gauntlet 2 393ccs, AEA Challenger 300 ccs so about 33% more air in the Gauntlet 2. That was why I was leaning towards the Gauntlet 2. I know nothing about the AEA Challenger, but they look like nice guns for about $100 more for a 30 inch, than this as new Gauntlet 2.

I get 118 fpe with Griffin 64 grain slugs. AFAIK the 24" barrel Challenger doesn't do much above that. My Challenger Pro 30 is a little more powerful at max tune than the Guantlet 30, but it's the same ballpark (about +10 fpe).

As for the original question, no there is not a better gun than the Guantlet 30 for the same price or less. This will be even more true when Hajimoto has the side lever upgrade for sale.