• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Umarex Colt 1911 Airgun

Two questions:

First, is there any way to "smooth out" the trigger in double-action mode? On my gun this is rather rough. Single action, as I prefer to shoot, is no problem.

Second, the grip safety spring is stronger than it needs to be, and every so often when shooting two-handed, the grip safety moves out, and the gun does not fire. Shooting one handed this is no problem. How difficult would it be for me to remove the spring and cut off one coil - or are lighter springs available?

I like that the gun "feels in my hand very similar to a real 1911, and I think it is a great way to practice, especially getting used to shooting one-handed. I wish I could find a way to safely shoot it indoors in my condo - need to look around for some kind of "trap" that the pellets would go into.

I just got one and I really like it,now mine is broke in and I do not have the problems you have,plus I may have a bigger hand,I think the problem with the grip safety is more of adjusting your hand,technique.

You can get different stye grips for it that may also help you with your hold.

There may be some info that can help you on other sites to.Some may direct you to actual pictures on smoothing the trigger,cutting or replacing a spring can help as can smoothing the sliding surfaces,take you time ,little is better than more.

Welcome aboard .

i would also think to shoot it to give it time to break in. unless.....youve already shot it alot lol

might be as simple as a tiny bit of lubrication. 

as for the spring heres a pic i found of its location,

looks like you could either shorten it,or possibly use a bic lighter spring as a replacement

ive been looking hard at those pistols. 

myself id just open er up and see how the trigger could be improved,but thats just me lol

Fig4.1654526742.jpg

Welcome mikemyers, 

I am also new to the forum, but it looks like there’s a traditional airgun forum and an air pistol one. You might get more views there.

As for an indoors pellet trap, I filled a shallow wooden box with duct seal for my pellet trap. The pellets stick into it and it’a silent. You could probably make your own for cheaper, but it’s basically this: 
https://www.pyramydair.com/product/air-venturi-a-g-e-quiet-pellet-trap-incl-ballistic-putty?a=1018

Here is a diagram of the pistol:

73BF76EC-4059-4F7A-96F4-8482BF0E7662.1654526847.gif

Part CS714 is going to be the grip safety spring. I’m not aware of specific aftermarket springs (or parts in general) for these guns, but you could measure this spring and try to find a generic replacement. You could chop off a coil but then it would be better to sand and flatten the new spring end if you don’t want it scratching the grip or frame. You also might need to lengthen it in order for it to hold the safety in the outward most position or else it could rattle. Not saying it will, but food for thought. 

I’d recommend adjusting your grip. When shooting with two hands your dominant hand should pretty much be in the same position as if shooting one handed. 

If you really wanted to smooth out the trigger, you could try cleaning and greasing the trigger components, although they come greased from the factory. My umarex 686 doesn't have the greatest trigger but I just shoot it as is. If it ain’t broke…

Wow, thanks for all the responses.

To answer:

a) I doubt I have shot more than 100 rounds so far. Maybe all it needs is break in.

b) For about six years after I bought it, it just sat in the case. Last year I shot it a little (50 rounds max) and I shot it the same two days ago. Maybe the lubrication dried up? I have no idea how to lubricate it - do I maybe put a drop of oil on each side of the hammer, and let it run down to the components? Do I do the same thing for the trigger (but with the gun aimed upwards)? I guess I should shoot it a lot more, and see if it loosens up just from using it.

c) Umarex sent me the exploded view of the parts, but thanks for posting the photo. It is much easier to understand.

d) My hand is in the proper grip position for shooting my 1911 with one hand and just like on my real guns, my "support hand" wraps around my shooting hand. I shoot best with two hands, but I am working at shooting Bullseye Style, one handed. I love that the gun "feels" so much like my other 1911 guns (22, and 45).

e) The grip safety spring is more forceful than the grip safety on my "real" 1911 guns. Maybe I'll just put a rubber "bumper" on the end of it.

f) What is a good source for different style 1911 stocks/grips ?

you need to put a drop of Crosman Pellgunoil on the puncture part CO2 cartridge,you just do a light drop of light oil on the moving parts, let a little run down to the trigger,a little.

Please break it in.

BTW,real .45 grips should work on it ...if you could put the CO2 holder on the one grip which actually holds that grip on.You can get them in a lot of places,I would use a rubber grip because wood may break or not...also I would order a new grip holder for your Umarex pistol before I would do anything,Fact I will see if I can do the same as I have a Pacmeyer rubber grip waiting to be fitted.

I have been shooting mine today,have no problem with the grip safety,the trigger takes getting used to,I actually think it is good in the respect it will help you shoot your "real" .45 better.

Most of your problems seem to be lack of use and old oil and not good light weight oil....

you need to put a drop of Crosman Pellgunoil on the puncture part CO2 cartridge,you just do a light drop of light oil on the moving parts, let a little run down to the trigger,a little.

Please break it in.

BTW,real .45 grips should work on it ...if you could put the CO2 holder on the one grip which actually holds that grip on.You can get them in a lot of places,I would use a rubber grip because wood may break or not...also I would order a new grip holder for your Umarex pistol before I would do anything,Fact I will see if I can do the same as I have a Pacmeyer rubber grip waiting to be fitted.

I have been shooting mine today,have no problem with the grip safety,the trigger takes getting used to,I actually think it is good in the respect it will help you shoot your "real" .45 better.

Most of your problems seem to be lack of use and old oil and not good light weight oil....

I bought a tube of the oil, and did as you suggested on the first CO2 cartridge several days ago. Should I be doing this for ever cartridge I insert in the gun, and if not, how frequently? I think I remember something about this in the small instruction manual - will follow those directions, once I know how often to do it.

I used up another CO2 cylinder yesterday - yes, it does feel like it is breaking in. It is smoother to operate, even the double-action mode.

Grips - I will take your advice, but why would I want a second set of grip holders? I like "rough" grips that stick to my skin, not the smooth, shiny, pretty grips I bought as an option from Umarex. I like "sharkskin" grips the most. I can see now that this is an easy change.

Your summary is probably right - perhaps a little oil will help make it even smoother, but maybe I should shoot it as-is for a while until it breaks in. It keeps getting better the more I shoot it.

Yesterday I shot at 15 yards - was very pleased with the results. Aim at the bottom of a 5" "Shoot-n-see" target, an the majority of the holes are centered in the target. I was very pleased! It's obviously a very capable gun. I think it cost me $350 many years ago - was the best one they offered for sale.

I may try to post my target here, once I figure out how to upload photos.

Thank you!

The stock gun came with plastic grips, so I bought the optional wood grips, then installed them. They all were smooth sided, and shiny - I prefer grips that will lock into my hands.

This photo is of my first Shoot-n-See target at about ten yards, single action. I peeled off the target to save it, but it sort of fell apart - too many holes too close together. I tried at 15 yards, and the group was centered over the target. All holes were good, other than the shots when the CO2 cylinder was almost empty. I'll post a better target when I get home. The more I shoot the gun, the better it gets.

IMG_6069.1654662586.JPG