Umarex 30 slugs failure

Have been trying several brands of slugs in my Umarex Gauntlet 2 .30 caliber. They all have same problem, too tall. When you try and put one in the breech, it will require hitting the bolt, very hard. I have to carry a dowel with to remove slug when jammed. I saw that Umarex was selling 60 grain slugs in 30 cal. Thought I had found the perfect slug for the Gauntlet. Was I ever disappointed to see the same problem occur. Jammed again. Why would you put on the market a slug that won’t even work in a rifle you manufacture? when the delivery arrived, it contained two tins. One was opened and slugs were rolling everywhere. I informed Umarex, and have received no response. Beware of sluds not fitting r our rifle.

• Wow
Reactions: MysticalDragon
It took Umarex a few days to respond to an email request. I had a follow up question about the specs of the Notos hammer and I got ghosted. Maybe @UmarexUSA-JB still monitors his profile.

Unfortunately heavy lead is difficult to package for transportation if the shipper doesn’t take some precautions. I’ve had multiple brands show up in poor condition, but it was always poor packaging of the shipper

As for the rifle, you never know about the breech diameter. They are machined, so it can be different rifle to rifle. A good number of us here would try different size slugs to find a good fit. NSA and AVS offer a lot of diameter options. Umarex doesn’t list the specific diameter other than the generic caliber. If you have some calipers measure them and you’ll know what’s too big for it.

The other option, which I’ve found very beneficial in budget rifles, it to polish up the breach and transfer port. This reduces the chance the projectile is getting interference straight away. I’ve had a 1600 dollar gun come with a burred transfer port.

Last edited:
Have been trying several brands of slugs in my Umarex Gauntlet 2 .30 caliber. They all have same problem, too tall. When you try and put one in the breech, it will require hitting the bolt, very hard. I have to carry a dowel with to remove slug when jammed. I saw that Umarex was selling 60 grain slugs in 30 cal. Thought I had found the perfect slug for the Gauntlet. Was I ever disappointed to see the same problem occur. Jammed again. Why would you put on the market a slug that won’t even work in a rifle you manufacture? when the delivery arrived, it contained two tins. One was opened and slugs were rolling everywhere. I informed Umarex, and have received no response. Beware of sluds not fitting r our rifle.
Well, I have seen that Griffin slugs work fairly well, I would give those a shot. Easier loading and being accurate.

Reactions: UmarexUSA-JB
I polished the throat on my Gauntlet 30 with some wet / dry 600 then 800 and finished with 1000 grit sandpaper on a dowel. I frequently checked function during the process until it chambered the slugs I wanted to use with acceptable pressure on the bolt handle. No change in accuracy which was already fantastic out of the box. It out shoots my FX M3 30 cal with everything I run through it and the zero doesn't change from day to day like the FX often does. Would love to see a bullpup stock for it for about $75. :LOL:

I polished the throat on my Gauntlet 30 with some wet / dry 600 then 800 and finished with 1000 grit sandpaper on a dowel. I frequently checked function during the process until it chambered the slugs I wanted to use with acceptable pressure on the bolt handle. No change in accuracy which was already fantastic out of the box. It out shoots my FX M3 30 cal with everything I run through it and the zero doesn't change from day to day like the FX often does. Would love to see a bullpup stock for it for about $75. :LOL:
Thanks for the info. Will try

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
ArizonaPCP,
I totally understand your frustration. To be transparent, I don't have a great answer for you. The Brimstone slugs are hit-and-miss in .30 Gauntlets as @Florida_Man alluded to (thank you kindly). The development team tells me this won't be the story going forward but I know that doesn't help you. As for the open tin from shipping, I've informed our shipping manager of this before and she assured me corrective action was being taken. How recently was the order received? I may need to address this again. Also sending you a PM. ~JB

If you don't get help from Umarex, let me know and I'll cut the throat for you. You'll just have to send the barrel if you want to save on shipping.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Try the Patriot javelin 52 grain slugs from what I hear all the javelin work but I shoot the 52 grain Patriot javelin 30 and they chamber amazing and shoot extremely accurate I was getting half inch 3/4-in groups at 100 yd with them and from what I've been seeing and hearing the Griffin slug shoot in chamber really well in the 30 as well I'll be trying those next

I know this thread is finished but it sometimes feels good to complain a little , umarex should have had a recall on their barrels for such an obvious flaw, paying shipping to return for warranty on a heavy rifle is not going to fix the chambering problem, i have a half dozen umarex rifles but choose to look elsewhere from now on, it just too bad videos are out their bragging on these rifles, alot of disgusted customers and im one of them.