Ultimate squirrel rifle setup(PCP/piston)

If I know my shots will be no more than 30 yards and are likely to be under 20 yards, I want my Prod tuned up to 18 fpe or so shooting H&N copper plated FTT pellets. I prefer bullpups but not for under 20 yard shots. >20 yards, I like my P35-22 the best, it shoots 21 grain H&N Baracuda Match about 830 fps for about 32 fpe. That is plenty for bushy tailed tree rats in my opinion. Only one of 9 shot with it failed to exit and that was a weird shot that went up a front leg breaking it in several places, smashed that shoulder, went through the chest and the spine stopping on the top of the squirrel under the hide, Other 8 were pass throughs, No squirrel took even 1 step after impact. No shots over 30 yards. But for yard duty I think my P35-177 is a better choice. It shoots 10.65 grain H&N Baracuda Match almost 900 fps for about 19 fpe. It has also taken 9 for me and none ran. Several took a step or two and collapsed. One shot in the throat fell, climbed a few feet again and fell again. The advantage of the 177 in the yard is the pellets fly about half as far if I miss. I only shoot in safe directions but the further a miss goes the greater the chance the direction wasn't as safe as I thought. I've taken the most squirrels, 18, with my P35-25 when it was tuned for 20 grain FTTs going about 875. Bad BC for a 25 but for yard shots that is not really a bad thing IMHO. It was also about 32 FPE and it was also 100% successfull dropping squirrels with one shot. I recently tuned it up to over 40 fpe shooting much higher BC ammo and I think I will need to retire it from shots up in yard trees. Don't need the power and don't want the risk. The slug it likes could travel 1200 yards according to chairgun. The P35-177 is about 200 yards at optimum angle. P25-22 could carry about twice as far as the 177.

My 24 fpe .177 squirrel slayer. Sorry I couldn't find a picture of it with a squirrel.
IMG_20230529_135418889-01.jpg

This BSA is a great little rifle for walking through deep woods.

Reactions: drsquall
Oh I have wanted the 97 synthetic or 98 for quite some time. I've tuned txs but not any hws. My current tx I got from Cameron and had him tune it to about 11.3fpe and put the magnetic catch on it and he polished bore and did some trigger work. It is amazing gun.
I think 11 FPE is perfect on a TX . I also have a 97 @ 11.6 FPE they shoot almost perfectly together same hole accuracy , but both a bit heavy .

I think 11 FPE is perfect on a TX . I also have a 97 @ 11.6 FPE they shoot almost perfectly together same hole accuracy , but both a bit heavy .
It is very very accurate. I stuck it in a left-handed CS 1000 stock also for Field Target with the sightron on it and I shot it off sticks the other night and it literally put 15 pellets at 25 yards in a 3/8 hole.

:) if you guys like squirrel hunting you shall plant couple walnut trees in your eye sight probably about ten years ago.
I have four in my backyard about 20 y/o and today taller then my two storey roof. When the hords starts coming in July and all the way to November you busy all day long, like there is no tomorrow.
The most tricky part is how to sight in the scopes for vertical between leafs and branches you can loose the feel for distance very easy. Also the buggers know how to hide the vitals, so the distance is 5 yard or 7 or 10 makes a lot of difference if I want to feed them to my cats.

I hunt squirrels with seven different rifles in three different calibers using pellets and slugs. I don’t have a standout favorite. But I would have to give a slight edge to my project P15 in .25. Years ago I dubbed it my Chaipan. Its slender, light, makes the power a .25 should and with the custom barrel I can shoot three different squirrel slaying projectiles with outstanding accuracy. The only drawback with the gun is the safety. It’s a micro button right on the trigger that’s only suited for a childs hand. The rear cocking doesn’t bother me on guns that hit everything on the first shot.

IMG_3053.jpeg