Ultimate Sporter's first day out!

Hey Bob, You inspired me, I stopped and got permission to shoot pigeons at two locations today. Got in some good shooting too.

First place and I'll post a picture or two was an old concrete silo with a BUNCH of pigeons on its. I was able to get set up right inside the door of an equipment shed and I bet I shot over a hundred shots at those birds. I'd shoot they'd fly off and circle back and land and I'd shoot again. This went on for the best part of two hours. I know I killed a bunch I'd guess some place between 30 and 40. No wind and I got tuned in by shooting the metal railing that they were sitting on. Once I got my zero it was fairly easy. BUT it was 67 yards measured with my range finder so I did wing some. I could easily here the pellet WACK the birds and feathers flying.

The second place was similar but closer shooting and the pigeons seems to be a little better educated. After some shooting they went off and roosted on other buildings. Still I killed seven to ten there.

Good day I must have shot 200 pellets. I was using my Red Wolf 22 cal. It tried some heavy pellets and it didn't seem to like those as well as the 18 grains.
1538256386_7277870515bafee02093268.51700245_IMG_0820.JPG
1538256458_10744182145bafee4a22d682.22472082_IMG_0821.JPG

I just got that MTM table. It's bit of a pain to set up but it has the distinct advantage of being able to be adjusted for any shooting. Up down and at any height you want to sit. It's a surveyors tripod with and plastic table that fastens to the top. You could set it up to shoot standing as well.

Yes as far as getting permission. I just introduced myself and said "I see you have.a bunch of pigeons sitting over on your old silo. Would you mind if I shot at them with my pellet rifle". Both farmers said sure go ahead. One fellow ask me to pick up the birds the other fellow said let them lay the cats would like them.

Bob,

What rifle is that, I like the look of the stock.

Oh, nice shooting as well.

Smitty

It's the Air Arms S510 XS Ultimate Sporter. Thanks!

bb,

I use the Side-Shot scope camera mount. My phone is a Motorola Z2 Force and I record in 1080p at 120fps. It might take me a few days to get the video put together.

I'm just finalizing one now from about a week ago. Then I have two other short ones to put together, one from tonight using the X-Sight after dark on pigeons and skunks. And another on Starlings........about 25 from a silo during a rain storm. The video will be called "The Starling Death Star". The title will make sense once you see the video! 

:)

I have a Harris on my Urban. It's rock steady. Might want to look into the new Magpuls. I've heard some good things about them.

I've been waiting for that Magpul bipod to show up in our local store! I'll grab one to replace the UTG bipod that goes back and forth between the Streamline and my 6.5 Creedmoor.

Arvid,

I haven't tested the shot count as I've only had the rifle out once. It's going to be cold tomorrow, but if the wind stays down I'll get to the range and do some accuracy testing at 50 and 100 along with chronograph. I'm also going to shoot the Neilson 19gr slugs........I'm really hoping they're accurate! I should get decent velocity out of them being only 1gr heavier than the JSB Heavys.

I'm sure I will eventually get a Harris. the only negative about this clone bipod is that the button retracts the leg instead of springing it open.

I guess it's personal preference, but I have both styles of Harris bipods, and I prefer the type that operates as yours. If it springs open, it never springs to where you want it, so you still have to adjust it, and then you have to push it closed, rather than just pressing the button. Both are fine, just a matter of getting used to it. 

Well, compare it to the Trigger Stick....I ha e a monopod for standing and a tripod for sitting or kneeling. When I squeeze the trigger, the leg/legs come down and when I'm satisfied with the position, I simply let go of the trigger and it stays in that position. When I'm done using it, I pull the trigger and press the legs closed in one sweeping motion. That's how I would prefer the bipod to operate.

With my bipod now, I fold each leg down which is easy, but in order to set the length, I have to grab the foot/feet and pull into the position I want. If this happens to be in between notches, I have to hold the button in while turning the locking knob with the same hand while holding the leg out (three things at once) and hope I get it right otherwise I have to repeat.

Thankfully my bipod has the swivel (cant) feature so I only need to get it close. My other bipod without this feature makes leveling the gun precisely, more tedious and time consuming than it should be. When you're on the bench, you have the luxury of time. In the field I would just as soon have it the other way.