• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Events Ultimate Field Target @ Phoenix Rod and Gun Club. Sat, March 30 2024

We'll be having a long range/high power field target match on March 30th @ PRGC.

Three classes: rimfire, slug, pellet.
Shots to 100yards, max of 100fpe.

Take advantage of the fact that there are very few places to shoot slugs in a high power field target match, and this is THE ONLY place in the country that allows rimfire in a field target event.

Please note this match is on the fifth Saturday of March instead of the typical 4th Saturday. This was to avoid a scheduling conflict with a benchrest match happening across town on the 4th weekend.

1pm match start time, just like last month. Shooters meeting at 1230. Sight in prior to that, if desired.

More info here: https://phoenixrodandgun.org/node/15313

Come join in the fun!

I noticed the date is off a week.

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 7.08.46 PM.png

One week away!

Ben has been experimenting again....
He sent me these photos of some custom stickers he had made for the kill zone reducers.

One has been intentionally shot near the edge of the kz.
Screenshot_20240323-114843.pngScreenshot_20240323-114826.png

His thoughts are that even deep into the match, enough of the colored rings should still be present to give shooters a better idea of where the middle is.

And in typical match director sneakiness...he is contemplating putting a hole-free sticker over the reducer. Is there a 1/2" hole under that sticker, or a 1.5" hole? Won't know til you shoot, aim for the middle! And even after shot a few times, if nobody has missed, won't know where the kill zone edge ends. Should be fun and something different to look at through the scope during that match.

+1 on having Cole shoot his springer at UFT!
+1 on having Cole shoot his springer at UFT!

Big thumbs down from me. 👎👎👎 Sounds bout as fun as a root canal. With my little 9ish fpe springer.... on those 100 yarders I'd need it to count as a knockdown if I saw dust anywhere in the scope view. Lol. And I'd still probably not break 50%.

Although on a miraculous paddle hit with 2-3fpe left, I have more faith that Ben's targets would fall with such low fpe than I do in anyone else's.

Just for conversations sake...

Hey, I seem to remember a couple years ago spending the day driving down, then getting not much more than a 50% hit ratio in pellet division, and driving back all frustrated and sad, lol, so I know how that feels. This vs our normal 95% hit ratio in FT which we were accustomed to.

A little down the road time frame wise the 20 fpe FT guns were tried. I shot with a guy doing this and he was barely past a single digit score. Being a 2.5 hours drive away I wasn't keen on trying it.

I was so glad that Ben started allowing rimfire back then which sparked new life in UFT for me because I hadn't gotten the "slug" thing together yet and wasn't scoring to my satisfaction using pellets either.

Then later down the road, last year in fact, we began to see some high slug scores which were extremly rare the previous years.

An Interesting journey!

Is it my imagination that the courses are about as hard now as they were back when Ben was setting them harder in their experimentation phase??
Does it also appear the pellet scores have increased significantly even though the courses are fairly difficult nowadays?
If so that is quite the feat getting the wind figured out so well.

Anyway, I'm glad to have a decent shooting slug gun, and also my 22RF, both for shooting in UFT, because personally I doubt I could be at a 60% hit ratio with pellets, which means I wouldn't be making the trip as often because I can miss a bunch at home almost for free which I've proven enough to know the fun has deminished "for me".

Somewhat in the spirit of Mark's springer match, I think it'd be fun if we had a 22rf only match at UFT, and maybe share some guns(I'd share mine and I'd wager Mike would too), just to see what people think afterwards. Ha, controversially mentioning this idea on a airgun forum no less.
Ben were you going crosseyed as you read this 😬 :p

Just for conversations sake...

Hey, I seem to remember a couple years ago spending the day driving down, then getting not much more than a 50% hit ratio in pellet division, and driving back all frustrated and sad, lol, so I know how that feels. This vs our normal 95% hit ratio in FT which we were accustomed to.

A little down the road time frame wise the 20 fpe FT guns were tried. I shot with a guy doing this and he was barely past a single digit score. Being a 2.5 hours drive away I wasn't keen on trying it.

I was so glad that Ben started allowing rimfire back then which sparked new life in UFT for me because I hadn't gotten the "slug" thing together yet and wasn't scoring to my satisfaction using pellets either.

Then later down the road, last year in fact, we began to see some high slug scores which were extremly rare the previous years.

An Interesting journey!

Is it my imagination that the courses are about as hard now as they were back when Ben was setting them harder in their experimentation phase??
Does it also appear the pellet scores have increased significantly even though the courses are fairly difficult nowadays?
If so that is quite the feat getting the wind figured out so well.

Anyway, I'm glad to have a decent shooting slug gun, and also my 22RF, both for shooting in UFT, because personally I doubt I could be at a 60% hit ratio with pellets, which means I wouldn't be making the trip as often because I can miss a bunch at home almost for free which I've proven enough to know the fun has deminished "for me".

Somewhat in the spirit of Mark's springer match, I think it'd be fun if we had a 22rf only match at UFT, and maybe share some guns(I'd share mine and I'd wager Mike would too), just to see what people think afterwards. Ha, controversially mentioning this idea on a airgun forum no less.
Ben were you going crosseyed as you read this 😬 :p

Ben and I were talking a few days ago and during the discussion realized that he's been putting these matches on for four years now. In that time we've all certainly gotten much better at the long range airgun game.

My first match I tried to use the .22/18.13gr pellet and seems like I was 18/40 or something pitiful like that.

For the first two -ish years, pellets were the highest scoring projectile. Occasionally a slugger would attempt it, and occasionally they'd do "okay" but often a pellet shooter would still be high score. That seems to have shifted now, where we've got slug shooters often being the high scores. Last month for example, 48 shot match and the only two to break into 40+ were the two slug shooters, even scoring higher than the two rimfires. High pellet was right behind though, at 39/48.

I agree with your observations, difficulty levels seem to have gone back to what they were in the beginning. Which at the time was too hard for our equipment and skill levels, but now seems more appropriate.

The rim fire only match is intriguing, but as you alluded to, there'd need to be a lot of sharing. I'd be real interested to see some of the dedicated rimfires guys (PRS/NRL types) come shoot a UFT match to see how they fare.

We've yet to have somebody clean a long range field target course a PRGC. The rimfires have gotten close a couple times, as have the top slug shooters. Looking at the wind forecast for this upcoming match, I don't think March will be the perfect score month. (Gusts up to 25mph where I'm looking).

Reactions: steve123
For those concerned about the wind forecasts for tomorrows match.....

Ben (and help?) is going to swap out the kill zone reducers to make them quite a bit more generous than what we shot at last month. The beauty of swappable reducers is using that feature to account for potentially windy days.

Also, what better way to get good at shooting in the wind......than shooting in the wind.

Last edited: