• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Results Ultimate Field Target At PRGC, 11/25/23 Match Report

Monthly winter Ultimate Field Target matches at Phoenix Rod and Gun club have resumed for the 2023/2024 winter season! Matches have historically been on the 4th Saturday of the month and we're back to that now.

9 shooters came out today to work off the turkey calories, 6 in pellet class, 2 slug shooters, and 1 competed with rimfire.

Ben and gang set the course a bit different this month. 8 shooting stations, 3 targets at each station, 2 shots per target, so a possible 48 point match. Overall Troyer for the course worked out to a 33. There was a wide range of targets this month, the easiest was a 2.5" kill zone at 43 yards for a T of 17.2. The highest T was a 1.25" kz @ 56 yards (T of 50.4). There were a couple of 2.5" kill zones past 80 yards also. In the past, those 80+ targets have usually been 3" kill zones.

The average guess for the max wind speeds of the shooters who texted me was 10-12mph.

I was surprised to see new record all-match scores in the pellet and slug class. And even the rimfire shooter was only one shot shy of tying the previous rimfire record (I think the current rimfire record score is a 47/48).
  • The previous all-match pellet record was a 45/48, shot by Mike S, using the .22/25.4 Monster RD.
    • The new record is a 46/48, shot by Ben S today, using the .25/34 grain pellets
  • The previous all-match slug record was a 38/40, shot just last month by Thayne S, using H&N .22/34gr slugs.
    • The new record is a 47/48, shot by Peykan B today, using the .22/34 grain Patriot slugs.
I listed the misses where reasonable to do so.
2023-11-25_19h09_22.jpg

Interesting to note that one of Dan's misses was a bad .22 round, hitting away from the hold point, on a good trigger pull and on a nice big 2" kill zone at only 45 yards. His other miss was a wind misread.

Really cool to see such high scores, and on a course with a decent difficulty factor! On the other side of the coin though, we STILL haven't seen a perfect score at a long range/high power field target match at PRGC. With guys getting sooo close, I think we'll see that 1st perfect score soon. Will it be in pellet, slug, or rimfire?

Left to right: Van, Steve, Peykan, Ben, Scott, Wayne
Screenshot_20231125-194229.png

Peykan and his Kentucky long rifle. I think the key to his new record is that he can just poke the paddle through the kill zone with his moderator on all the shots. That gun is so long it doesn't even fit in the photo.
Screenshot_20231125-194245.png

All photo credit to Peykan B.

Much thanks to PRGC for hosting these field target matches, to the match director, and to all the helpers.

For anyone within driving distance of Phoenix, you are in a position many airgunners in the country envy (driving distance to high power/long range field target events). And on top of that, very few places nationwide are allowing rimfire and slugs to compete in field target. You can do that right here at PRGC.

Last edited:
It was a really beautiful day this afternoon and had a lot of fun with friends. The wind was pretty favorable compared to other matches I have been in at PRGC. I would say about 5 mph for the avg but there were some random heavier winds/gust maybe 10 or more mph. Ben does such a great job putting these on for all of us to entertain ourselves for an afternoon! KUDOS Ben!! I keep hoping you never get old on us:D
Great write up Cole and fast too!! Always enjoy your reports and always enjoy shooting with you. Missed you today.
A big shout out to Sturkis too, missed you Mike and hope you can get back to the things you love in the very near future!!!!! 🙏
Thx
Dan

Monthly winter Ultimate Field Target matches at Phoenix Rod and Gun club have resumed for the 2023/2024 winter season! Matches have historically been on the 4th Saturday of the month and we're back to that now.

9 shooters came out today to work off the turkey calories, 6 in pellet class, 2 slug shooters, and 1 competed with rimfire.

Ben and gang set the course a bit different this month. 8 shooting stations, 3 targets at each station, 2 shots per target, so a possible 48 point match. Overall Troyer for the course worked out to a 33. There was a wide range of targets this month, the easiest was a 2.5" kill zone at 43 yards for a T of 17.2. The highest T was a 1.25" kz @ 56 yards (T of 50.4). There were a couple of 2.5" kill zones past 80 yards also. In the past, those 80+ targets have usually been 3" kill zones.

The average guess for the max wind speeds of the shooters who texted me was 10-12mph.

I was surprised to see new record all-match scores in the pellet and slug class. And even the rimfire shooter was only one shot shy of tying the previous rimfire record (I think the current rimfire record score is a 47/48).
  • The previous all-match pellet record was a 45/48, shot by Mike S, using the .22/25.4 Monster RD.
    • The new record is a 46/48, shot by Ben S today, using the .25/34 grain pellets
  • The previous all-match slug record was a 38/40, shot just last month by Thayne S, using H&N .22/34gr slugs.
    • The new record is a 47/48, shot by Peykan B today, using the .22/34 grain Patriot slugs.
I listed the misses where reasonable to do so.
View attachment 409701

Interesting to note that one of Dan's misses was a bad .22 round, hitting away from the hold point, on a good trigger pull and on a nice big 2" kill zone at only 45 yards. His other miss was a wind misread.

Really cool to see such high scores, and on a course with a decent difficulty factor! On the other side of the coin though, we STILL haven't seen a perfect score at a long range/high power field target match at PRGC. With guys getting sooo close, I think we'll see that 1st perfect score soon. Will it be in pellet, slug, or rimfire?

Left to right: Van, Steve, Peykan, Ben, Scott, Wayne
View attachment 409702

Peykan and his Kentucky long rifle. I think the key to his new record is that he can just poke the paddle through the kill zone with his moderator on all the shots. That gun is so long it doesn't even fit in the photo.
View attachment 409703

All photo credit to Peykan B.

Much thanks to PRGC for hosting these field target matches, to the match director, and to all the helpers.

For anyone within driving distance of Phoenix, you are in a position many airgunners in the country envy (driving distance to high power/long range field target events). And on top of that, very few places nationwide are allowing rimfire and slugs to compete in field target. You can do that right here at PRGC.

Really beautiful day to shoot yesterday, thank you Ben, Wayne and Dan for getting everything ready, and Cole for the report. I liked the new course set up with 3 targets per lane, it speeds up the match and will allow more variety in target placement and lane usage in future matches.

Congratulations to Peykan, I squadded with him, super nice guy who shot very well with that FX Bazooka - it is a beast!

Reactions: Franklink
Totally agree, so liking that new course of 3 targets per lane! Less walking and 6 shots per lane makes this match even more fun.

I shot with Dan yesterday and from the very start he was ON FIRE and he stayed that way. I thought for sure he'd shoot a perfect score the way he was shooting, man so close. I was very impressed!

Ben had planned a offhand using bipod lane but that didn't happen because of an oversight so this lane was easier than the "latter" usual of before when we'd shoot offhand unaided and IMHO that might partially be the reason our scores were higher than what would have been normal.
But at the same time it seemed to me to be a pretty tough course otherwise except a few more gimmy shots so 4-ish shots that could be considered less difficult.
But nevertheless 46/48 is fantastic using pellets so congrats to Ben and also in slug to Peykan for a 47/48.

After the match Peykan let me handle his fixed up Panthera and WOW that is one amazing rifle! Around 16 pounds or so with weights and balances perfectly right where it should! A true all out PRS monster for sure. Hmm, I want one.