• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Results Ultimate Field Target at Phoenix Rod and Gun Club 10/07/23 Match Report

For the second night match last week the slug to pellet distribution was a bit more even, 6 slug shooters and 8 pellet class competitors.

group photo.jpg

All of our fine sponsors donated dual prize packages, one for each night, the 5th, and the 7th. The match report for the 5th details all they donated, but all said and done, about $5000 worth of prizes distributed over two nights. That meant about $2500 amongst us 14 shooters for the match on the 7th. It was a good night to attend!
https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...b-10-05-23-match-report.1298567/#post-1583906

The weather on the 7th was much less conducive to shooting than it was on the 5th. The wind was BRUTAL. We dealt with what I would guess to be 20+ mph gusts, switching 180 degrees at times. The most constant wind seemed to be a headwind, but the big gusts were coming from the right and the left. It was wild to sit there trying to get a feel for the wind, while still getting all four shots off in the alotted four minutes, and feel the wind from all directions. The wind was stiff enough that it was pushing my body around while in the shooting position. I spoke with a couple of the "regulars" and we felt like this is the worst wind we've ever seen at one of Ben's matches. Even after the match the banners would slap both sides of the metal cover over where we have the pre and post match meetings. You can see one of the banners above wrapped completely over the top of the cover. Those banners had a wooden 1x2 as a weight in the bottom. CHALLENGING wind to be shooting in.

But this is how the match played out.
scorecard.jpg

High slug was Thayne again.
high slug.jpg

And high pellet was Scott H.
high pellet.jpg

Really cool to see Scott H win. He recently told me that he doesn't think night matches agree with him.....well, after this performance I beg to differ. Also, he subtracted 4 points from his score when he found out the tripod left at the standing bipod lane was meant to be used as a bipod. He hadn't known at the time and used it as a tripod so self-adjusted his score, removing the 4 points for that. With those 4 points that he removed, he would have been the overall high score for the match. Regardless, an impressive performance while using pellets in very unforgiving winds.

John P, main machinist for Donny FL, was the only person to go 2/2 on that tricky far shot on lane 10.

And Dylan and Josh shared a gun, both choosing to launch the JTS pellets. They were respectively 3rd and 2nd in pellet class.

Thayne S had quite the weekend. Lots of prize money went his way. Very talented shooter and a very humble individual.

The rest of the top scorers....
top scores.jpg

I truly enjoyed these two night matches. It was great to make some new airgun friends. And prize money is always nice.
Thank you again to our sponsors and Ben and all the staff that makes this possible.
Hope to see you all at future matches.

Some of the lights from the Phoenix Police Department's training facility swept over the south end of the course. The device taking this photo did some automatic adjustments to make those lights appear brighter than they really were.
2023-10-10_21h23_26.jpg

I would like to thank everyone who attended especially the sponsors. I also would like to congratulate Scott Hunt for a fantastic finish in what were the hardest conditions EVER!!!! at PRGC matches day or night. He has worked very hard to become a better shooter and understand all the facets of the sport. He started in AAFTA and now helps me at every match, truly a fantastic individual. So for him to beat some of the biggest names in the sport is a great example of persistence and applied skill. Congrats Scott well deserved you are a true ambassador of this great sport. I am honored that you chose to be part of this team.

I think this needs to be on both results posts.
Finally... some big names are discovering FT... hallelujah. ...

Now try it with the uk rules... sub 12....🫡

I've been doing it since 2013
IMO until the powers that be realize there are two viable divisions,(AAFTA and XFT) to this Field Target game things will grow at a snail's pace if at all. Now the UK guys have more hoops to jump threw to shoot the long-range stuff. Just think how cool it would be to have everyone shooting in the same match. 3 targets per lane. short, medium, and far distances. The short-range guys would range and shoot the short and medium targets and the long-range guys would range the medium target while the far distance would be posted at each station. We now have the targets that will adjust down to 12ftlbs or less at 55yds and the same targets hold up to 100+ ftlbs. We had ZERO target failures at Saturday's match and only light failures and rope failures on Thursday. This would grow the sport because. I can tell you firsthand there have been many AAFTA guys who were dead set against it until they tried it on for themselves. This goes both ways there are long-range guys getting excited about the challenge of ranging and doping. Just food for thought!!!!!

To many are trying to control who shoots what and where to benefit their wallet. The self-appointed ambassadors of the sport, wolves in sheep's clothing if you ask me.

Reactions: Sturkis
I think this needs to be on both results posts.

IMO until the powers that be realize there are two viable divisions,(AAFTA and XFT) to this Field Target game things will grow at a snail's pace if at all. Now the UK guys have more hoops to jump threw to shoot the long-range stuff. Just think how cool it would be to have everyone shooting in the same match. 3 targets per lane. short, medium, and far distances. The short-range guys would range and shoot the short and medium targets and the long-range guys would range the medium target while the far distance would be posted at each station. We now have the targets that will adjust down to 12ftlbs or less at 55yds and the same targets hold up to 100+ ftlbs. We had ZERO target failures at Saturday's match and only light failures and rope failures on Thursday. This would grow the sport because. I can tell you firsthand there have been many AAFTA guys who were dead set against it until they tried it on for themselves. This goes both ways there are long-range guys getting excited about the challenge of ranging and doping. Just food for thought!!!!!

To many are trying to control who shoots what and where to benefit their wallet. The self-appointed ambassadors of the sport, wolves in sheep's clothing if you ask me.
@Nofilters "self-appointed ambassadors of the sport"...is the sport you are talking about EFT/UFT/XFT/Non-AAFTA FT? I would assume so, since AAFTA is an unpaid, elected, governing body.

Great job on the reports on the two Ultimate FT night matches Cole….you really should get more sleep and btw congratulations on placing both nights!

I need to acknowledge to Ben for all his effort in putting these matches on, I can personally attest he puts his heart and soul in this, and he is another one that could really use some more sleep!

Also thanks to all the match sponsors that really made these two matches special, I thought all the raffle items were top notch, but dang I wished I would have won the S&S fly target or the Element Scope! I hadn’t paid any attention to the place prizes before the meet started (because I never think I am going to place lol) and was extremely surprised and grateful to receive the generous cash prize from Donny FL/Saber Tactical and the nice gift certificate and tank bag from Utah Airguns, so special appreciation to them.

Scott

@Nofilters "self-appointed ambassadors of the sport"...is the sport you are talking about EFT/UFT/XFT/Non-AAFTA FT? I would assume so, since AAFTA is an unpaid, elected, governing body.
Just so you know I am NOT paid either. I am talking about certain entities that want to control the sport PERIOD. Just watch and see what happens to AAFTA in the future because of the concentrated influence/hidden conflict of interests. Just my opinion and my predictions. I truly hope I am wrong.!!!!

Reactions: DennisB
I agree that field target has been very slowly growing over the last decade, but I'm not sure how much blame can be attributed to the "powers that be", especially on the AAFTA side. I mean, you had two shoots with 23 and 14 shooters and a prize pool of $5,000. Our last two monthly AAFTA matches at ASC had 20 and 16 shooters and a prize pool of $0. The prize pool for your October night matches probably exceed all of the AAFTA GPs except for Nationals.

What I'm trying to say is that from the beginning, EFT/XFT/UFT/AFT has been about the money. When a sport is tied in to financial gains (big prize pool and raffles) to attract participation, it becomes beholden to sponsors. Sponsors are clearly going to try to control what they are paying for. They aren't "self-appointed ambassadors", they are sponsors selected by the clubs and match directors. You guys holding UFT matches have decided to change sponsors, and that's great. But at the end of the day, there is still someone holding the purse strings.

Most AAFTA matches have no prizes and no sponsors, so we can do what we want under the umbrella of the AAFTA organization. This brings its own set of challenges, but I would rather deal with rules set by an unpaid governing body of fellow shooters than worry about which brand of product my sponsor wants to push this year.

I think the long range FT sport would grow more if there was an AAFTA-style organization instead of one or two big sponsors dictating things, but that would mean that everyone would have to agree to a set of rules and compromise on the things they don't like.

For the second night match last week the slug to pellet distribution was a bit more even, 6 slug shooters and 8 pellet class competitors.

View attachment 395735

All of our fine sponsors donated dual prize packages, one for each night, the 5th, and the 7th. The match report for the 5th details all they donated, but all said and done, about $5000 worth of prizes distributed over two nights. That meant about $2500 amongst us 14 shooters for the match on the 7th. It was a good night to attend!
https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...b-10-05-23-match-report.1298567/#post-1583906

The weather on the 7th was much less conducive to shooting than it was on the 5th. The wind was BRUTAL. We dealt with what I would guess to be 20+ mph gusts, switching 180 degrees at times. The most constant wind seemed to be a headwind, but the big gusts were coming from the right and the left. It was wild to sit there trying to get a feel for the wind, while still getting all four shots off in the alotted four minutes, and feel the wind from all directions. The wind was stiff enough that it was pushing my body around while in the shooting position. I spoke with a couple of the "regulars" and we felt like this is the worst wind we've ever seen at one of Ben's matches. Even after the match the banners would slap both sides of the metal cover over where we have the pre and post match meetings. You can see one of the banners above wrapped completely over the top of the cover. Those banners had a wooden 1x2 as a weight in the bottom. CHALLENGING wind to be shooting in.

But this is how the match played out.
View attachment 395736

High slug was Thayne again.
View attachment 395737

And high pellet was Scott H.
View attachment 395738

Really cool to see Scott H win. He recently told me that he doesn't think night matches agree with him.....well, after this performance I beg to differ. Also, he subtracted 4 points from his score when he found out the tripod left at the standing bipod lane was meant to be used as a bipod. He hadn't known at the time and used it as a tripod so self-adjusted his score, removing the 4 points for that. With those 4 points that he removed, he would have been the overall high score for the match. Regardless, an impressive performance while using pellets in very unforgiving winds.

John P, main machinist for Donny FL, was the only person to go 2/2 on that tricky far shot on lane 10.

And Dylan and Josh shared a gun, both choosing to launch the JTS pellets. They were respectively 3rd and 2nd in pellet class.

Thayne S had quite the weekend. Lots of prize money went his way. Very talented shooter and a very humble individual.

The rest of the top scorers....
View attachment 395739

I truly enjoyed these two night matches. It was great to make some new airgun friends. And prize money is always nice.
Thank you again to our sponsors and Ben and all the staff that makes this possible.
Hope to see you all at future matches.

Some of the lights from the Phoenix Police Department's training facility swept over the south end of the course. The device taking this photo did some automatic adjustments to make those lights appear brighter than they really were.
View attachment 395740

Great match report, Cole! (y)

You guys holding UFT matches have decided to change sponsors, and that's great.

Fact-based comments first....

Ben has been putting on long range ft matches for a couple of years now. Only a handful of his matches have been "sponsored" and up until last week, that was only in the first year or so. "Sponsorship" has only ever been prize money donations. He has gotten no help from the sponsors in setting up courses or advertising or managing any of it. "Prize-donor" is probably a more appropriate description than sponsor. With the exception of only a few volunteers helping here and there, Ben has been putting these matches on himself. Not trying to take away from those who have volunteered, any help is welcome and appreciated, but more often than not Ben is setting and tearing down the course alone. And anyone who has run a match knows it's a ton of work for one guy.
(Edit: Remembered that there was a food truck arranged by a prize donor once, and they made a video after that match).

The vast majority of his matches have had no prize money, very AAFTA esque.

Now my opinion.....

Prize money is great, so much more exciting when some money is on the line. And yes, it brings more people out to give it a try, tempted by the prize money. I appreciate very much when a business donates prizes, be it cash or physical items, to these matches. But a sponsor (prize donor) who chooses to donate prize money should not have full run of the match, nor of the sport, unless they are willing to jump in and do some of the work. And even then the sponsor trying to control how the event goes is shaky ground. I agree that no business should be calling the shots in a competitive shooting event like AAFTA matches, or even long range field target. Now, if a business chooses to donate prize money and use that as a tax write off for "advertising" I see nothing wrong with that. But if that's the extent of that businesses role in the event, well then, that should be the extent of that businesses role in the event.

My $0.02.
Cole

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Nofilters
Looked like y’all had a great time. So sorry Derrick and I missed it. Derrick shot last and by the time we got packed up and something to eat we would have been super late. Shooting a night match definitely something to experience.
Plus if Derrick stays outside after dark and accidentally knocks over a trash can, someone might think he's an adorable racoon and shoot him.

Looked like y’all had a great time. So sorry Derrick and I missed it. Derrick shot last and by the time we got packed up and something to eat we would have been super late. Shooting a night match definitely something to experience.

Wish you two could have made it. Maybe you guys would have given Thayne a little more challenge to getting top score than the rest of us could.

By the way, congrats on absolutely GREAT shooting at EBR Caleb.

So if the Troyer was 41.?? on Thursday what was it on Saturday?????!!!!!

Well, in the traditional Troyer factor for regular ft, "windy" gets a difficulty factor of 1.25 applied. So 1.25 x 41.35 = 51.7.

From my perspective of being there and also at many of your other matches, Oct 7mstch was far and away the hardest combination of course and wind conditions.

• Love
Reactions: Nofilters
Fact-based comments first....

Ben has been putting on long range ft matches for a couple of years now. Only a handful of his matches have been "sponsored" and up until last week, that was only in the first year or so. "Sponsorship" has only ever been prize money donations. He has gotten no help from the sponsors in setting up courses or advertising or managing any of it. "Prize-donor" is probably a more appropriate description than sponsor. With the exception of only a few volunteers helping here and there, Ben has been putting these matches on himself. Not trying to take away from those who have volunteered, any help is welcome and appreciated, but more often than not Ben is setting and tearing down the course alone. And anyone who has run a match knows it's a ton of work for one guy.
(Edit: Remembered that there was a food truck arranged by a prize donor once, and they made a video after that match).

The vast majority of his matches have had no prize money, very AAFTA esque.

Now my opinion.....

Prize money is great, so much more exciting when some money is on the line. And yes, it brings more people out to give it a try, tempted by the prize money. I appreciate very much when a business donates prizes, be it cash or physical items, to these matches. But a sponsor (prize donor) who chooses to donate prize money should not have full run of the match, nor of the sport, unless they are willing to jump in and do some of the work. And even then the sponsor trying to control how the event goes is shaky ground. I agree that no business should be calling the shots in a competitive shooting event like AAFTA matches, or even long range field target. Now, if a business chooses to donate prize money and use that as a tax write off for "advertising" I see nothing wrong with that. But if that's the extent of that businesses role in the event, well then, that should be the extent of that businesses role in the event.

My $0.02.
Cole
This whole journey for me has always been about this sport and growing it. Obviously, I wanted to be thought of as a good shooter. I mostly wanted to do whatever I could to grow it. Airgun shooting is one of the only true family sports IMO. I love seeing husbands and wives, grandkids, and father sons. We have had all of those at our matches. Their laughter and time spent is my drug of choice. The days back in 2016,17,18,19 when I petitioned to borrow targets to have monthly matches to grow what I think can be bigger than NRL22. (If marketed and organized correctly) I was told to leave it alone "It is just a once-a-year novelty shoot". I wanted to make it stand out and change the rules. The rule changes would be to make it fair and attainable for EVERYONE. I love AAFTA but like many, I have issues with some aspects of it. I thought why not take Ford and build something custom? So I allowed Slugs and 22 rimfire. I wanted to appeal to more shooters. So I wanted to make it where the shooters had a say directly. I started with basic rules that I thought were fair and just. I got some grief over the fixed position. I stated that it should not come down to who is more flexible or who has the highest power scope/better vision. I think winners should be those who put in the time, know their equipment, and have the skills and apply them to the sport. So I started with a base set of rules. We have tried different things/ideas along the way. The group voted and discussed what we liked and didn't, majority won. Example: I had the killer Troyer idea which I thought was a better way than forced positions that favor the more healthy of us LOL. The shooters said they wanted to keep the off-hand so we have. I have always wanted shooters to have more to shoot and more reasons than less. So I decided last year to have a fun night match at the same time as many air gunners were in town for another event. I was offered by two major players sponsorship and prizes. I turned it down due to the whole night thing being new and it is for fun. I decided if it were a success that maybe the next year I would accept sponsorship/prize donors. So I did, I contacted donors. Donors I felt worthy of promoting fun and commemoratory among shooters in the sport. I would like to thank all of the Sponsors very much. The Scopes, Targets, guns, and of course the money made it all interesting. I believe everyone who attended still would have attended if it were just PRGC 1st,2nd, and 3rd place awards. Let's face it we all love to shoot. I decided on two nights due to the limited entries allowed per night and the time it takes to shoot through the whole thing. I knew well over 100 shooters would be in town. So I wanted to give as many as I could a chance. We were going to put 3 on a lane instead of 2 just to accommodate more shooters, a max of 30 shooters per night. I will be doing it differently in the future. This made for a TON of work and logistic headaches. I would like to thank everyone who helped and promoted this fun event. I want to especially thank Cole(Franklink) who has been involved since the very first match in September 2020. His writing skills and ability to eloquently explain things are unmatched on this forum or any other I have seen. He knows all the behind-the-scenes things that are going on. I appreciate him stating the facts since others are not. I am honest and transparent if you want to know just ask. I have more passion than I should and at times, that can and has gotten me in trouble. I look forward to having more matches and types (benchrest) of matches in the future. Please promote this sport and please don't pressure fellow shooters to NOT shoot an event because of politics or equipment brands. Be strong and stand strong to grow the sport. I hope you all take the time to recognize market-controlling manipulators and bullies. It is up to us to call it out and use the power of the purse to let them know they work for US.!!!!!!The future of this sport depends on it.

My 2cents.!!!!!