• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Results Ultimate Field Target at Phoenix Rod and Gun Club 10/05/23 Match Report

17 pellet shooters and 6 slug contenders combined for a total turn-out of 23 shooters for the night match on October 5th. We had contestants from as far away as Florida. The match started at dark and the weather was perfect, temps around 90 degrees with minimal wind to fight.

A lot of well-known industry players and elite shooters. I enjoyed getting to know a bunch of them and just talking generally talking airguns.
group photo.jpg

The prize and raffle pool totaled out to over $2500 and is the biggest we've seen for a long range/higher power field target match at Phoenix Rod and Gun Club. We've got many very generous sponsors to thank for that.
Sponsors include...
  • Utah Airguns
  • Element Optics
  • DonnyFL/Saber Tactical
  • Texasfieldtarget.com
  • S&S Targets
  • JD’s Custom Designs
  • Captain O-Ring
  • Stud Loader
So many awesome raffle and door prizes and prize packages that I couldn't even keep track. A few of the standouts were DonnyFL/Saber Tactical sponsoring first place pellet class with a $500 prize, Element Optics supplying a Titan 5-25x56 scope, and Utah Airguns donating prize money and guns and bipods, etc. The plaques were made and donated by Dan F.

1st place pellet.jpg

1st place slug.jpg

raffle prizes.jpg

raffle tables premeeting.jpg

raffle tablets preemeting1.jpg

premeeting.jpg

Here's a look at the course from the service road up above, pardon the blurry image, but I'm including this because it gives a sense of the unique atmosphere of shooting in the dark. The pinpoints of light strewn across the desert are each a target or a lane/trail marker.

panorama.jpg

Field Target is such a challenge because no sighters are allowed. A shooter has to know and understand the trajectory of their chosen projectile and how to account for changes in elevation and wind speed and direction. A shooter has essentially got to know their equipment well enough to have a pretty dang good idea of where the pellet or slug (accounting for distance and wind) is going to go prior to even taking the shot. They have to be able to repeatedly attain a stable position, moving from lane to lane, seated on a stool or bucket and using sticks/bipod. And all of that is on a timer, 4 shots in 4 minutes. For some the 4 minutes is more than enough, others would have liked more time I think. Lots of things to mentally assess and process in a limited amount of time to do it. Shooters that can pull that all together for a winning score definitely earn their points.

This was the course layout for the match, but doesn't fully represent all the intricacies of what shooters dealt with. There are elevation changes from target to target, as well as geological features that funnel wind in strange ways.

course layout.jpg

Those new to field target may be unfamiliar with the term "Troyer" in the above data table. Brad Troyer created a difficulty factor for sub 20fpe field target 20+ years ago. I consulted with him a few years ago and extrapolated his chart (that stopped at 55 yards) out to 100 yards, using bigger kill zones. The Troyer Factor is essentially the distance in yards divided by the size of the kill zones, in inches. However, a few difficulty factors are applied for further distances, as well as for standing shots or windy conditions. Those interested can find more info here: https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/extreme-troyer-factor.868700/

The Ultimate FT course on 10/05 had an overall Troyer of 41.35. That makes it one of the harder courses that Ben has set for us in the last 24 or so months. So, if you didn't do as well as you'd have liked, be comforted in the fact that this was a rather difficult course.

The following data table shows equipment lists as well as how each shooter did. The columns to the far right show performance on some notable lanes: the standing bipod lane, as well as the three hardest targets (highest Troyer #) of the course. I included the far on Lane 10 b/c the wind seemed the most tricky there for me and I was curious if anyone else struggled on it like I did.
equipment and scores.jpg

Since we've been doing slug and pellet classes for the last few years here it has been interesting to compare scores. Typically there isn't as large of a difference between them as one would expect, but for this night match we had the one and only Thayne Simmons. I held the previous slug record at one of these matches, a 36/40. Thayne took care of that quite nicely. Thayne now holds the record for slug and overall high scores, also prevented Steve M from being the new slug and overall high score record holder with his 37/40. In the pellet class, Van Tucker was up ahead of the rest of the pellet shooters by a cool 3 points. Great shooting Thayne and Van, and on a VERY hard course (relative to past matches).

High score pellet and High score slug (Van and Thayne).
1st place pellet winner.jpg
1st place slug winner.jpg

I believe pellet class paid out 5 spots and slug paid out three, but there were so many gift cards and raffle prizes and door prizes that I had a hard time keeping track of who ended up with what. Again, thanks to VERY generous sponsors.

Here are the rest of the top placing shooters.
winners.jpg

Thank you to all of the competitors. We're glad you came and hope you had fun and return to shoot in the future. We've joked for a couple years now about how this high power/long range game of field target is the most fun somebody can have, while simultaneously being extremely frustrated, makes a shooter want to come back and do better next time. Thanks to Ben and his crew (Scott H, Stephen K. Mike S, Dan J, etc etc etc) for putting in all the behind the scenes work, setting the course, managing lights and painting targets and etc. And finally, thanks to Phoenix Rod and Gun Club for hosting us and sharing your range.

Hope to see you all at future matches.

(there was also an Oct 7th match, very similar to the above, I'll get the data compiled for that and post another match report in the next day or two).

Don't forget my sister Bonita. She was an amazing help. Love ya sis

Yes! Bonita took all of the photos for this match report, managed sign-in and the raffles and all the prizes. And she flew out from Texas specifically to do all of that. THANK YOU Bonita for your extensive efforts in making the match run smoothly.

Congrats to Van and Thayne!!!

Thanks for your excellently done report, Cole.
Also Ben and everyone else that works hard to make such a cool match happen.

Ha, I liked how Kate was picked to draw a raffle ticket then out of hundreds of tickets she gets one of hers, lol. And I of course don't imply there was any cheating done at all which would have been impossible.
Then in the raffle the guy who was telling Ben that the "supposed speed loader" was indeed a "rear rest platform" won it a few seconds later.

I won the fly target which was about the best $20 I ever spent :D

Congrats to all and thanks for the great writeup Cole!! This is really cool event to be involved with and sponsor. Even from afar it was great fun to help such a dedicated group of people and sponsors come together for the sport and make it happen for the shooters. Sounds like everyone had a great time! Congrats again to all on Ben’s bear-ish course! Enjoy the target Steve123!

Finally... some big names are discovering FT... hallelujah. ...

Now try it with the uk rules... sub 12....🫡

I've been doing it since 2013
IMO until the powers that be realize there are two viable divisions,(AAFTA and XFT) to this Field Target game things will grow at a snail's pace if at all. Now the UK guys have more hoops to jump threw to shoot the long-range stuff. Just think how cool it would be to have everyone shooting in the same match. 3 targets per lane. short, medium, and far distances. The short-range guys would range and shoot the short and medium targets and the long-range guys would range the medium target while the far distance would be posted at each station. We now have the targets that will adjust down to 12ftlbs or less at 55yds and the same targets hold up to 100+ ftlbs. We had ZERO target failures at Saturday's match and only light failures and rope failures on Thursday. This would grow the sport because. I can tell you firsthand there have been many AAFTA guys who were dead set against it until they tried it on for themselves. This goes both ways there are long-range guys getting excited about the challenge of ranging and doping. Just food for thought!!!!!

Reactions: Sturkis
Congrats to all and thanks for the great writeup Cole!! This is really cool event to be involved with and sponsor. Even from afar it was great fun to help such a dedicated group of people and sponsors come together for the sport and make it happen for the shooters. Sounds like everyone had a great time! Congrats again to all on Ben’s bear-ish course! Enjoy the target Steve123!
Steve you will like the target! Plus you can customize it if you need a faceplate or reducers.