Ultimate Air Rifle Case, for protection and/or travel...???

I've been looking for a good hard case for my FX Dreamline Tactical, my rifle is 38.5" long with my Magpul PRS stock on it, adjusted for me... I couldn't find a case deep enough or long enough until the other day, I was at my local "big R", they have a new name now, no matter, the case is a Plano, I'm sure you can get one lots of places, I got mine for under 60.00 on sale, it has key locks, five snap type closures and a weather seal, and plenty of room for everything including extra barrels, it has "pick n pluck" foam and two levels of egg carton type foam... No more cardboard box for my rifle...

A photo...

1570119313_15363049005d961e91622133.59340124_IMG_1372.jpg

For those of you that travel with your gear this might be one to look at... I am really happy I found it...

Ken

Pelican; only forty inches long, over 5 times the price at 300.00+ dollars... 

I think this case for the money was an exceptional deal, I have a "nanuk" case that compares with the pelican at half the pelican price...

The plano had a sign 79.00, on sale for 59.00, thought that was a very good price on an American made case... (home state of Illinois too)

FWIW... Ken

I think these are great cases, I have several, heavy but still.

I've never bought a case for airline travel and don't see the need in my future. If you use this frequently, as I do with the couple I have, you will/may find the some of the same things I have. 

1. the latch inside the handle is a pain in the rear. I pushed the pin out and removed the latch. I'm getting closer to driving to FT matches again and will probably Dremel/sand the plastic to remove the molded pieces to avoid the fight.

2. Your pic suggests that you will have the same limitation I do with the height. It's going to be tight with that gun scoped. You'll be cutting or 'squeezing' past the pic n pluck foam area I deal with it and don't use the case to carry the gun on the FT range or even around the property. Its storage and transport (just in the car for me) . Not really a big deal for storage just adds to my never ending search for a wider case.

We need a manufacturer to step up and offer a case an inch or 2 wider with a supported lid. (open it 90 degrees and it stays there). 

Just rambling...

My rifle will fit to the very limits of the pick n pluck with the scope on, I am awaiting my new adjustable scope rings to get here, I did look at the fit before removing my scope and rings, it just fits, to the top of the turret caps and bottom of the pistol grip... It just makes it...

Regarding storage in a case... I learned from my PB days not to store a rifle in any case for an extended period of time because they trap moisture... Travel and transport is my intended use...

I like the idea of a supported lid, got me thinking of a simple tether between the lid and base... Hmmm...

Ken 

I’ll take my pelicans any day. Yes they cost a bit more but IMO they’re worth every penny. I use mine as a step stool to get on my top shelf and never worry one bit about it. I’m also not a fan of the pluck foam anymore. A lot of my camera cases have it and after putting in and taking out stuff, over time the surrounding squares start to get worked loose. It’s really easy to cut solid foam, just trace what you want in the case and cut the line with a sharp knife like a box cutter or I used my havalon knife. 

Would love to see a pic of the scoped gun in the case once everything is fitted. As an example, my WC doesn't really fit all that well. I don't store anything thing is these for more than a day or two. I changed out a couple other rifles and haven't replaced the foam but I've saved the plucked pieces and sometimes rubber cement them back in place, just not always very pretty. My FWB800 would be a great example of what won't work but I'd have to replace/rebuild the foam in one to show you. Not there yet.