• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

UIT? ARCA? Picatinney rails? What and why?

When I got into airguns seriously, There was Dovetail and Picatinney. Dovetail seemed more common but Picatinney was fast becoming more popular - and deservedly so. Nowadays, we have seen the emergence of ARCA and UIT rails on some guns with all the associated adapters. Does ARCA and UIT rail designs offer more versatility and durability than Picatinney? If they do, how?

Yes. ARCA rails allow you to mount accessories anywhere on the rail, similar to a dovetail. They are also very broad so they provide a flat surface to shoot off of much like a beaver tail stock.

UIT allows you to position accessories anywhere within the UIT slot which gives you an almost flush fit rail without drilling and tapping the stock. There are also a wealth of UIT accessories available since that was/is the standard in 10m competition.

With the UIT rail on my Air Arms S510, I use a UIT to picatinnt adapter along with several other UIT accessories so IMO it is much more versatile that just having a standard picatinny rail mounted to the stock.

Picatinny, ARCA, and UIT are all used to mount accessories to the stock. ARCA and UIT are not used to mount scopes.

Reactions: rangur1
When I got into airguns seriously, There was Dovetail and Picatinney. Dovetail seemed more common but Picatinney was fast becoming more popular - and deservedly so. Nowadays, we have seen the emergence of ARCA and UIT rails on some guns with all the associated adapters. Does ARCA and UIT rail designs offer more versatility and durability than Picatinney? If they do, how?
I switched over to ARCA several years ago for all my bipod mounts. I like the extensive versatility of that system as well as the very stable lock down.
I have not tried UIT the cost of switching over being one reason .
Others on the Board may have experience with both ARCA and UIT and can give you that perspective.
I would imagine that all 3 systems have their plus and minuses.
Good luck

Reactions: tibor and rangur1