• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Ugly shot, Ugly squirrel but I got em

JimD

Mar 27, 2021
SC, United States
Well it's finally squirrel season now in SC and they have been visiting my oak trees but I've been frustrating myself missing. Several of the shots I could not see the squirrel clearly and should not have taken the shot. Like this morning. I thought the squirrel was in the crotch of a tree and shot at what I thought was the squirrel and hit the tree. I saw it run off. But an hour or so later it or another one was back in that same crotch and I didn't hit it as far forward as I wanted but I got it. I could see it this time. It had three parasites of some sort in it's skin. You can see them bulging the skin out in the first picture and the third picture is one that fell out when I was cleaning the squirrel. Looks like some sort of worm but really short and fat. The first picture also shows some intestine from the exit of the pellet. The bloody side is the entrance side. This is the ninth squirrel I've shot with my P35 in 177 that shoots H&N Baracuda Match 10.6 grain at about 900 fps. About the only good thing about my shot placement is it shows my 177 will take them even with poor placement. I will continue to try and do better but a 177 works. The squirrel took a few steps up the tree after impact but fell pretty quickly. It weighed 1 lb on my fish scale and was 22 yards away at a 30 degree angle up in a tree.

49-1.jpg

49-2.jpg

49-3.jpg

There are several types of botflies. I think that the squirrel type are also the ones that get on cats occasionally too and the cats claw at them until they get an infection going. I have a kitten now that I brought inside that had one on her neck, the wound has just completely healed and the fur recovered the spot. Running pus until I removed the bot, flushed the wound with peroxide and put antibiotic ointment in the hole. I've done that a few times for outdoors cats. I hate nasty parasites. Yuck!

A few years back WV changed opening day from mid-October to mid-September, I thought I would see a lot of warble-infected squirrels, but surprisingly, I have not. When I was a kid our neighbor would operate on our cats like Filnez was saying.

I harvest several squirrels a year and have only found one warble in the last few years & that was enough.

Reactions: maxtrouble