• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

*** ugh oh*** moisture in gun

C5210272-64A7-4DFE-95C6-0DD8D3752786.1649118297.jpeg
BBA21D92-3742-45B0-A88E-D9EB99BFA906.1649118299.jpeg
image.1649118325.jpg
image.1649118405.jpg

So I recently was bleeding my fill tank and noticed a hefty amount of moisture spraying out. So I completely drained that and took fitting off and let it air dry for quite some time. Well now I’m taking guns apart and finding evidence that there was moisture one a few of them as well. I wish I would have checked sooner. Here is my gauntlet. Now am I going to have to dig deeper then just the tank and reg on it? Any advice is super appreciated, as I feel I have to act now or risk facing possible injury! Moisture the pcp killer!

Hmm. I have a small air/water filter with an Omega Trail Charger. The thing I like about this compressor is that it spits out water through a hose on the bottom every time you open the pressure valve after pumping. I had a Yong Heng before and it didn't seem to have any way for water to escape, before it blew up on me anyway.

I have heard opinions about adding a bit of silicone oil to fill probes & foster ports, occasionally and in small amounts, to help lubricate and rust-protect the o-rings and internals. Would be glad to hear any thoughts on that.

jhibbs,

I had to go with a $125 coalescing filter, it's the copper-colored one, to handle moisture problem in my humid Florida garage. Got it on eBay, not really a filter, as contains no media, just manipulates the airflow inside so that heavier molecules of oil and water are directed to bottom of cylinder, while cleaner/dryer air exhausts out the top. All three filters, after the coalescing one, have remained clean and dry ever since installation. WM
IMG_20220322_203924.1649130406.jpg

The main fitting on the tank (in my experience) is sealed via an O-Ring just below the valve assembly. It sits in a small recess. It shouldn't take a lot of effort the unscrew the assembly and reattach the same way. I used two rubber strap wrenches, one on the neck of the tank and the other on the valve. You may wish to get another O-Ring just in case. ALL PRESSURE WITHIN THE TANK MUST BE REMOVED BEFORE LOOSENING THE VALVE ASSEMBLY!!! This takes quite a while as the orifice is very small and if you run it too open, it will freeze up, I cracked mine open and let it run overnight. In the morning there was still a little pressure on the tank, but not much, so I opened the valve further and it dissipated within a few minutes.

I hope that this helps you.

mike

It would be good if you are changing out your small Yong Heng filter every twenty minutes or so as well. Doing so will help make your large filter last longer.

Is your large filter cotton or a Tuxing three media filter?

Do you check your large filter every few weeks?

WorriedMan has the set up for a more humid climate for sure.

Like WorriedMan I have one of the small Yong Heng filters on the output side of my Tuxing also. I check the little filter every month or two in my environment. If it is least bit moist it tells me it is time to change out the cartridge in the Tuxing.

No evidence of moisture in three plus years and I have had the valves off of several of my tanks.

Revoman thanks, it has been sitting empty for awhile, with bleeder knob removed, fill hose removed and valve opened all the way. Biohazard man my gold filter has the three media. I’ve been thinking about getting a small filter like the one that comes with the yong heng to run online with my refill tank as well. I definitely like the idea of moving it to the other side of gold filter so I can check the cotton every fill. I’ll have to switch that. Much appreciated guys.