TX200HC: What worked and what didn't

I started out with springers, switched to PCPs out of frustration, then one day decided it was time to go back and revisit springers. I knew good accuracy was possible because I had seen springer shooters pound 1/2" spinners at 30 yards all day long when I flirted with FT, especially that guy with the Whiscombe. The gun I decided to work with was the TX200HC that I had purchased from Precision Air. Here is the history of that rifle.

Stock power plant, 15.5 FPE, JSB 7.87 pellets

Vortek PG-2 SHO, 14.0 FPE, JSB 7.87 pellets

Vortek PG-2 SHO, minimum lubrication,14.8 FPE, JSB 8.44/4.53 pellets

Vortek PG-3-12, minimum lubrication,11.8 FPE, JSB 8.44/4.53 pellets

Vortek PG-3-12, short stroke piston, minimum lubrication,10.8 FPE, JSB 8.44/4.53 pellets

Vortek PG-3-12, short stroke piston, minimum lubrication,10.8 FPE, AA 8.4/4.52 pellets

One thing to note through all of this is that the size of the smallest groups never changed! Maybe every couple sessions a MOA or smaller group would occur. Leading me to conclude that the size of the smallest group doesn't mean much. So I started tracking the average of 5 groups to try to figure out if I was making any progress. At the beginning, in the stock configuration, group variation was frustratingly huge. You would think you were on to something, and the next day it would all go to heck.

So step one was to perform a kit tune at the same power level. The gun was smoother cocking and quieter, but no real improvement in accuracy or group consistency.

After doing some velocity studies, I saw that extreme spread was excessive, around 30 FPS. I cleaned up the internals, applied minimum lubrication, and sure enough the ES and SD came way down. I hoped this might eliminate the fliers that caused the large variation in group size, and it probably helped some, but I was still plagued with a lot of group variation.

The next step was to drop power down to around 12 FPE. This did not automatically turn the rifle into a laser, but with lower recoil it was easier to see how the rifle was reacting to each shot and make corrections to technique.

The last major step was to install a short stroke piston and reduce power a little more. I really expected a lot from this change, but it took a lot of shooting to conclude that some improvement had been made. On the other hand, I love the cocking behavior. Very linear, light, and of course with a much shorter stroke.

The last change was a switch in pellets to the AA Field. Again no change in smallest group size, but improved consistency, which is what I like.

At the beginning of this journey I was struggling to keep groups under 3 MOA. Midway average group size was running just a bit over 2 MOA. Today I can stay under 2 MOA if the wind cooperates. The big contributors I would say were the use of minimum lubrication, the drop in power, and the change in pellets to the AA Field. The short stroke piston is icing on the cake, in that it makes the rifle that much more enjoyable to shoot.

Here are today's groups from a sighting in session. Wind was still variable, but the gusts were infrequent enough I could just wait them out.

P2250315.1614305089.jpg

I did note an error, but it is included in the group size. I apparently have a problem with throwing shots high. I hope at least some of you found this helpful, especially if you are thinking performing some kind of tune on your own springer.

Hello, I also play with TX200’s. Currently I have two mark 3’s both in .177. I also immediately dove into the tune kits, currently I have Vortex PG3 full power kits in both, use nothing but Molly paste for internal lube and use Maccari oversized breech seals. One rifle I have an Air Arms piston seal, the other rifle I have a Vortex Molly piston seal. I have both triggers set at around 9oz. (FYI the rifle with the AA seal shoots 50fps faster)

both rifle settled down with fliers after 1000 pellets and truthfully I don’t think the kits made ether one more accurate, but they did make the shot cycle very quick and smooth.

I practice with 10 yard Field Position targets at home and when I get to go to the club I can shoot at the full 30 yards. Some days I can stack pellets and other days I can’t, and what I found out is your form, follow through, and how you address the trigger is what makes the difference. I personally shoot AA 8.4 4.52 pellets and they seem to do just fine. I think what the main point of the hole thing is to remember it’s about having fun. 

I have tried various set ups with my mk3. Different stroke lengths, piston weights, seals and springs. Settled on a 22mm short stroked piston kit from Tony Leach here in the UK.

I like the short stroke (same as the mk2 stroke length). I know guys that swear by the bog standard setup. As I say to myself, consistency is crucial with whatever setup you have.

Pete, that 22mm kit is intriguing. I believe it is supposed to be super efficient, with less energy spent on vibration, rebound, etc.. Did you find that to be the case?

If I got really serious about this, I think I would get the most benefit right now from a stock with adjustments to fine tune and lock in my shooting position. On the fence about spending the money for a new stock, but might install an adjustable butt pad.