TX200HC or HW97K and why?

I don't really need to see pics of groups or anything like that, but if you want to show pics of your particular rifle please do so.

If you have owned and or shot either a TX200HC or a HW97K I would love to hear which one you would pick over the other one and why.

Also need to know if the particular rifles you shot were bone stock out of the box or had they been "tuned" with aftermarket parts?

Really interested in knowing how they are straight from the factory.

I look forward to some of your explanations :)

Thank you gentlemen

Ray

I have both in .22. The TX is tuned right out of the box, needs nothing. I had Motorhead tune my 97 to get rid of the twang, otherwise, it needed nothing. I would not choose one over the other. They both have value in my stable, and they are different rifles, but then, I have no favorite air rifle...they are all different, and I shoot them all. All of them, including the TX and 97, are capable of shooting aspirins off of golf tees at 15-20 yards...even when the aspirins are sideways to me. 

My TX200 was way rough shooting when I bought it. I kept it for 2 years and went through several tunes before selling it. It was pretty, but just not a shooter. My HW97 was great out of the box, but I sent it to Motorhead to be smoothed out anyway. I still like it much better than the TX, and at the time the cost was half of a TX200. Krale has raised the price some since then, but it is still one of the best values in airgunning I think. 

*Edited for clarity. 

I shot a TX200 this year at EBR and knew it wasn’t for me. I really didn’t like the ratcheting from the anti bear trap. I also hated having to push the button to release the anti bear trap. It was also twangy, not sure if it was a bad spring or the owner had installed a SHO kit. 

I bought the HW97 instead and I’m thrilled with it. 

intenseaty22

Not a bad spring, I think...it's one of the hallmarks of many Weirauch rifles. Because of that, I sent my 97 to Motorhead...he got rid of the twang, and made an already excellent rifle more excellent! 

I reckon with the 97 you're gonna push a button at some point...in that rifle's case, you'll push it before you cock it. In the case of the TX, you'll push a button after you cock it.

c-m-shooter

Your TX, I would guess, was just 'one of those'. Mine has no indication that it needs a tune, but after all the other tuning work is done on rifles that need it more, I'll probably end up sending it to Motorhead too. I don't see any way it could be better, but based on my experiences so far, Scott will find a way!

Both are excellent and have good points and not so good points, the HW97 has far more options in caliber (.177, .20, .22, .25), stocks (laminate, synthetic, beech, thumbhole) and finishes (stainless look, blue) but can often have a bit of a twang. The TX has just 2 stocks varients, beech or walnut and has what can be annoying anti bear trap and small loading port but is glided right out of the box. The 97 has a much larger loading port and no anti bear trap, good thing/bad thing? Either can be tuned and will make about the same power but the TX is usually far less in "need" of a tune where many HW's have a twang issue. Again nothing is constant and exceptions always exist.

HW97K . I have been looking for a long time at a top quality springer but I'm looking at the 12ftlb models. The 97and tx200 are essentially in the same category as quality and performance goes but one cost almost double the other and only one has the rekord trigger. I think it comes down to opinion at this point you have 2 insanely accurate well renound rifles neither would be wrong but if they both cost the same I'd still go 97 even if it was more.

I have both - a TX200MKII in .177, and an HW97K in .22.

I believe the stock work an finish are nicer on the TX. Both are great shooters, though I really struggled with the TX initially. A trip back to Pyramid's Service Department, and then to Motorhead for a complete tune, and I now have a rifle that will shoot 3/8" 10 shot groups all day, and have shot thousands of shots through it with no issue.

The 97 has an entirely different feel. If I wanted a rifle for field hunting, it would be the 97. Can't explain it - it is just so. Though mine shot pretty well upon receipt, I sent it to Motorhead and he made it exceptionally. It is simply a delight to shoot.

Both of these rifles are tuned to +/- 14 lbs. I shoot them a lot within my indoor range as the pcps simply get boring at anything less than 30 yards.

Both of these rifles will be ok out of the box, but will be exceptional if you go to the effort to have them tuned.

Good luck.

*Edited for clarity. 

I shot a TX200 this year at EBR and knew it wasn’t for me. I really didn’t like the ratcheting from the anti bear trap. I also hated having to push the button to release the anti bear trap. It was also twangy, not sure if it was a bad spring or the owner had installed a SHO kit. 

I bought the HW97 instead and I’m thrilled with it.

Is it any way possible for the piston and sliding breech on either gun to slam forward even if your holding the cocking lever? Is there something there that could break or fail and let it slip by?

Just curious.

Ray

Don’t know Ray. Probably unlikely. But I know the safest thing to do is to hold on to the cocking lever no matter what. 

*BTW I always wanted the TX200HC in Walnut, it’s so damn beautiful. But after shooting it all that went out the window for me. Please understand this is only my opinion, worth only a whole lot to me. 

And funny enough, my first ever post on this forum was asking the same question TX or HW. 

Here’s my original thread. It’s an interesting read after 2 years with some of the same folk giving you now great advice on both guns. BTW, my favorite Cal in a spring gun now is the .177, not the .22, in 12fpe, not FAC. 

If you need another monkey wrench in the mix, research the LGU 😂 

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/aa-tx200-or-hw97k-go/

I own both TX200HC and HW97K in .177 caliber. I prefer the TX200HC over HW97K. TX200HC was a UK 12 FPE version. HW97K was 15 FPE version but I replaced the factory spring with a shorter one to get it down to 12 FPE. 

Trigger is better on the TX200HC . A lot of easier to take apart as well. Less picky with pellets. Walnut stock is beautiful. The HW97K likes 10.3 grain Air Arms pellets.

I hate taking the HW97K apart. I have a custom stock for it. The TX200HC has the factory stock.

I don't have an HW97K, but have owned a TX200HC for quite a while. Two things I noticed right away, the stock was configured very differently from my other springers, and I found it very accurate shooting offhand and sitting. I think the stock design is someone's idea of the ideal configuration for field target. The comb is high, the heel is low, and it is a true right handed stock, with a deep thumb recess and deep pistol grip. The wrist is fairly narrow and the trigger reach very short. All this encourages a head up position and a low wrist and elbow. From the pictures, the 97K looks to have a more sporter oriented stock. All a matter of preference of course.

The TX firing cycle as shipped was perhaps a little harsh, but no twang, just a thud at the end of stroke. I did install a Vortek kit, and that made the firing cycle a bit smoother. I appreciate the shorter length of the HC version, and also feel the short 9" barrel helps accuracy. The full length shroud provides some sound supression, and looks good as well. After some fiddling, the trigger pull measures a very consistent 12 ounces.

I'm sure you will be happy whichever one you get.

I don't have an HW97K, but have owned a TX200HC for quite a while. Two things I noticed right away, the stock was configured very differently from my other springers, and I found it very accurate shooting offhand and sitting. I think the stock design is someone's idea of the ideal configuration for field target. The comb is high, the heel is low, and it is a true right handed stock, with a deep thumb recess and deep pistol grip. The wrist is fairly narrow and the trigger reach very short. All this encourages a head up position and a low wrist and elbow. From the pictures, the 97K looks to have a more sporter oriented stock. All a matter of preference of course.

The TX firing cycle as shipped was perhaps a little harsh, but no twang, just a thud at the end of stroke. I did install a Vortek kit, and that made the firing cycle a bit smoother. I appreciate the shorter length of the HC version, and also feel the short 9" barrel helps accuracy. The full length shroud provides some sound supression, and looks good as well. After some fiddling, the trigger pull measures a very consistent 12 ounces.

I'm sure you will be happy whichever one you get.

Thank you sir. That is information I can use. My biggest worry is that I have a short LOP and always wondered how the TX or HW actually felt when being held. You can have the most beautiful airgun with walnut stock in the entire world, but if it doesn't fit you it's worthless when trying to shoot it. And trigger reach is a mystery that most folks hardly ever expound on.

Thanks
Ray

When I decided to give the Springers a second chance (the first being a horrible experience with a Gamo Underlever) I did a lot of homework and ended up with the Walther LGV, not LGU. It is a true Break Barrel with accuracy to challenge an HW97 or a TX200. This mainly due to it's positive locking mechanism. 

Even though you did not ask about the Walthers, you did ask about shootability out of the box, without tuning. I currently own two LGVs, one in .177 and the other in .22. I tuned the .177 only because I wanted it at 12fpe and the model I got was higher than that. The .22 shoots VERY smoothly out of the box, I have not touched it. If you do read around, you will find that the LG(U/V)s have a reputation for being just that, shootable out of the box. 

Most of the springers are easy and fun to tune, so don't be afraid of that aspect. You will find lots of help here if you need/want to tune a gun. Both the TX200 and Walther are super easy to take apart. The HWs a bit more work, but not the end of the world though, very doable.