• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

TX200 vs HW97 for those that have owned both?

Aside from the nicer stock and easier teardown that the TX200 has, I don't find any benefit to the TX200. Prior to short stroking mine it was actually a worse shooting gun than its HW counterpart. Even after short stroking, the 97K is just as accurate. The 97K also has a better balance to it in my opinion. The TX200 seems to suffer from issues with the cocking shoe and breech seal according to quite a few people on here but so far mine have both been fine.

Long story short, I prefer my 97K over my TX200. It can do everything the TX can do at nearly half the price all said and done between the gun and tuning parts.

Reactions: thumper
I own 2 TX 200 / .177 cal & .22 cal & a HW97KT .22cal . Both the TX’s & HW97 are excellent rifles. I use them for target shooting from a bench. Accuracy is equal between all 3. From a price standpoint the HW97 is less especially if purchased from Krale.
If you want the most elegant of springers then the Tx 200:in walnut is the rifle. These rifles benefit greatly from tuning.

I’ve got a fairly even stable. 35A4E497-9A94-4064-A9BB-ED670549ABF9.jpeg202206BA-6545-4BA6-91E1-F01807A1F05F.jpeg. I was going out shooting just when you put in this post up, helped me which rifles to shoot tonite. These are the four I grabbed. F9CE30AC-3E8D-433D-9A54-541092F31C2E.jpegF9CE30AC-3E8D-433D-9A54-541092F31C2E.jpeg.First shot HW97KL.177. Dirty accurate. An absolute pleasure to shoot. The 97 is the perfect underlever. My range is up to 35 yds.
Next was TX200 .177. No scope adjustment, go, laser. Very nice. Sweet looking. My only gripe is lack of Breach space for loading. And bear trap.
HW97k .22 was next my first 97. Laser, nothing negative. All positive.
Last was my Pro Sport .22. Had to throw in. This gun feels so good to hold. In my opinion the nicest looking Air gun of all Air guns as well. I pounded my targets. Couldn’t put this one down.
Right now I would pick. Tomorrow this could change, their that close.
1-PS
2-HW97 over the 200 because of loading
3 TX200
You wouldn’t go wrong with either. Crow

I have the HW77 and the TX200. The TX200 stock and blueing are drop dead gorgeous. I had the Vortek PG4 kit installed and the shot cycle is perfect now. The HW77 is a plain jane and the blueing is OK. I upgraded the stock and installed the Vortek PG4 kit. Much better shot cycle the custom stock is perfect.

They are both .177's and shoot like lasers. Which one is more accurate comes down to the shooter and the wind. They are both bench guns and fun as hell to shoot. Either one will hit dime sized spinners at 50 yards all day long. I suggest purchasing both! :)

Reactions: JP806TX
My 97 is a KT, thumbhole stock model, and I am not a huge fan of that style. It's fine off a bench but for offhand, ect i prefer a more traditional stock. Fit and finish on the TX is far superior, I have a walnut stock on my TX and it is outstanding, full crotch grain in the buttstock area. As far as shooting the TX is a little trickier, loading that is, the port is smaller, and the bear trap makes it trickier but I do like any safety feature. Ease of cocking about the same, accuracy is a toss-up . I actually prefer my 77 to the 97, I have it equipped with a hooded diopter on front and an Anschutz diopter on the rear with a Gehmann adjutable iris, so much more fun shooting it offhand, plus lighter weight.

My take is if you want fit and finish go the Air Arms, If you want shooting ability only go the Wierhauch for the price difference. Oh, I forgot to mention that I do not see much difference in the triggers, I can tell a difference in the trigger on my HW97, vs a HW77 and a HW35e and they are all supposed to be the same, so as far as that goes, the trigger will be the luck of the draw, all will be good, some a little better, others not quite as good.

Last edited:
I own both in .177. For hunting, HW97K is better. Quiet and easy to cock. With a large loading port, it is very easy to load left or right handed. It has no anti-bear trap device to make ratcheting noise like the TX200. For looks and ease of disassembly, I prefer the TX200. Both are accurate. Since I shoot a lot practicing field target, I like to tune my rifles and taking them apart is part of the process. The HW97K is a pain in the ass to take apart. If springs never break, I would pick the HW97K but since stuff breaks I lean towards the TX200 for ease of maintenance.

Reactions: JP806TX
The TX can suffer from issues that the HW doesn't. Such as the flimsy cocking shoe, tolerance stackup causing lockup issues. Underlever retention is also just a ball bearing, and become weak with breech seal wear or the above mentioned lockup issues.

The TX anti beartrap ratchet is awkward and loud. And it's harder to load with a one sided loading port.

The TX has a longer stroke and makes for a less docile poop cycle.

I've had multiple of each model, and don't care to ever own another TX. The HWs have been more reliable, and had better shot cycles and were easier to use.

The HW has a positive locking underlever. No cocking shoe or the associated lockup issues, and also no noisy fumblesome ratchet mechanism.

The bluing does look richer/shinier on the TX. But, I've found it to be less durable than the HWs bluing.

One caveat, if you want a .22 I'd go with the TX. Weihrauch barrels in .22 have been less than stellar in my examples.

Just my take. My 77Ks are 35 years old and still going strong.

My TXs all had issues within the time that I owned them. They were easy to work on, but the poor design made them hard to "fix".

Full disclosure, I'm a lot pickier than most users. You may not have trouble with either.

Own both in various calibers and furniture:

TX200:
+ Better finish
+ Super Easy to disassemble
+ Stock Hex screws that don’t get marked up when tightened
+ Available in walnut
+ Available in left hand version
+ Centered barrel for theoretically better efficiency
+ Light trigger out of the box
+ Can take screw on moderator in HC version
- Smaller loading port
- Walnut stocks are mate finish, need oil
- Baffles in standard version make barrel cleaning trickier
- Scope rail doesn’t play nice with all scope rings
- Rare occasions barrel shroud reported to come loose

HW97K:
+ Cheaper
+ Built like a tank
+ Bigger loading port
+ Less complicated bear trap
+ Available in laminate
+ Available in thumbhole
+ Available with sights as HW77 version
+ Available in .20
+/- Ambidextrous stock
- Brutal to take apart compared to TX200
- No walnut stock
- Standard stock screws tend to come lose and get marked up by screw driver
- No carbine version as far as I’ve seen, but available in extra long version
- Trigger usually set to heavy out of the box
- Under lever wobbles more than TX200 and does not compare to Walther LGU
- Typically comes with horrible spring twang due to lose spring guides

I prefer the TX because it’s pretty and easy to dissemble. But they are all equally accurate.

-Marty