• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tx200 Post Rebuild Outing 2

Continuing the saga as it settles. I am still getting a flyer or 2 per 10 shots. Which is what the chronograph was suggesting last test. I think those are settling out as well, but not quite sure yet. The 10-shot groups are consistently around 1 inch with flyers. It is not uncommon nor to drop 5 shots into 1/2". One target saw 8 of 10 in about 1/2" with 2 wild ones. This is reflected in the jump in "x" scores ranging from 6 to 9 now.

Some of this is me I am sure but not all of it. As flyers are consistently low, and chronograph is showing the random low reading, I am sure that is part of it. In order shot.

20230611_103048.jpg

20230611_103242.jpg

Last edited:
What about pellet size? Maybe the one or 2 out of ten could be a bit undersized.
Consistent gun+ consistent pellets = consistent shots.

With the break barrel i can see or feel the pellet "fit" the leade and the more too small i kick out as a cull . It will also affect your string of fps results. I only cull the worse offenders but if i did not flyers are a issue. ( Bigger issue). And it really shows as you go way out

You can see by sorting size and weight you probably see that reduced a lot

A cull tin
cphp.177culls.jpg

I shoot the culls in my pistol 🤤

Last edited:
Reactions: drpietrzak
Are you checking the skirts on the pellets? I find a lot of inconsistency in them; you might try a batch of non-lead pellets to see if you get the same inconsistency since their skirts tend to be much more uniform. Just a thought.

Thanks. I weight sort and kinda look skirts but not as close as I probably should. These are 4.52 head size but it feels like is a bit of variation there as well.

What about pellet size? Maybe the one or 2 out of ten could be a bit undersized.
Consistent gun+ consistent pellets = consistent shots.

With the break barrel i can see or feel the pellet "fit" the leade and the more too small i kick out as a cull . It will also affect your string of fps results. I only cull the worse offenders but if i did not flyers are a issue. ( Bigger issue). And it really shows as you go way out

You can see by sorting size and weight you probably see that reduced a lot

A cull tin
View attachment 363658
I shoot the culls in my pistol 🤤

I have nor sorted by head size, though I am feeling differences. I probably need to go there next.

Short stroke the gun. You'll lose some energy but gain some accuracy and find the gun to be less hold sensative. You will lose some of the anti bear trap but I actually prefer that. Your mileage may vary.

I just did a test . Kinda goofed it but you'll get the jist.

This is " good" uns and cull tin mixed .. 7 are cull tin . grouped in/at dot good'ens
cullpellet1.jpg

This is all cull tin pellets .
culltest2.jpg

Lol... One popped my clip one did not even hit anything ( a true flyer).

You can see why i do a cull tin. Dime dot @30y irons cphp.177

The smallest of a few random out of the cull tin was 4.32mm head size . With that only the skirt engaged any rifling ..lol.

I just did a test . Kinda goofed it but you'll get the jist.

This is " good" uns and cull tin mixed .. 7 are cull tin . grouped in/at dot good'ens
View attachment 363691

This is all cull tin pellets .
View attachment 363692
Lol... One popped my clip one did not even hit anything ( a true flyer).

You can see why i do a cull tin. Dime dot @30y irons cphp.177

The smallest of a few random out of the cull tin was 4.32mm head size . With that only the skirt engaged any rifling ..lol.
Nice. Thanks.

I wouldn't bother sorting JSBs by head size. They seem fairly consistent in my experience. Weight on the other hand can have pretty decent variance. I usually sort in 0.1gr increments. That being said, I'm not entirely sure your issue is in the pellets. A few of those groups are REALLY good and the flyers could simply be a hold sensitivity thing. Changes in grip and/or shoulder pressure can make a massive difference in POI as can trigger follow through as I'm sure you're already aware of. Just a thought.

I wouldn't bother sorting JSBs by head size. They seem fairly consistent in my experience. Weight on the other hand can have pretty decent variance. I usually sort in 0.1gr increments. That being said, I'm not entirely sure your issue is in the pellets. A few of those groups are REALLY good and the flyers could simply be a hold sensitivity thing. Changes in grip and/or shoulder pressure can make a massive difference in POI as can trigger follow through as I'm sure you're already aware of. Just a thought.

I have been shooting AA which are very consistent by lot. I shoot 4.52 heads. I weight sort. I have never really checked head size for consistency with them. But I mixed 2 lots recently and there is a difference in tight feel when clambering. I figured I would use the mixed to finish up breaking in and move to a pure lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sqwirl57
I have been shooting AA which are very consistent by lot. I shoot 4.52 heads. I weight sort. I have never really checked head size for consistency with them. But I mixed 2 lots recently and there is a difference in tight fell when clambering. I figured I would use the mixed to finish up breaking in and move to a pure lot.
Oh yeah mixing lots can absolutely make things interesting. I have a few tins of 4.53s that are even the same lot but one tin in particular seems to be smaller than the rest. I put that tin aside for a rainy day when I feel like going nuts sorting them.

I yend to treat each tin as per each as in no 2 tims are fully alike. At any time they can range from gosh awful to excellent. I just shoot one pellet full time not a this today and that tomorrow unless ots a out of stock thing and grab a get by tin of next best till back in stock .. i think using a dedicated pellet you find works and stick to it and learn it. .

Also i tend to get hold lazy. That kinda blows a good grouping being slack.

It gets real interesting when you have zero self control and buy every springer that catches your eye. You put them in a rotation and then have to relearn your holds every time you change guns. A smart man would keep notes. I am not a smart man.
I have forced myself to stay with the TX which was really hard while waiting for parts. I sooooooo want a Diana pro 54.

I have forced myself to stay with the TX which was really hard while waiting for parts. I sooooooo want a Diana pro 54.
HW....😇. My regret not buying gun hw77. Most i never considere due to scope only / no sights on them . Just not intrested . As long as theres a r9/95 i can just make do ..