TX200: MK1 vs MK3

I have a couple of TX200 MK1s as well as a MK3 (all 12fpe .177). Now obviously the MK1s are 20 plus years old, have fired a ton of pellets and really smoothed out as a result. BUT is seems to me as though the older guns still seem to have a level of refinement (shot cycle and accuracy) that surpasses the newer tuned MK3. Is there any thing about the TX that has changed over the years that would validate my suspicion the older guns just might be better shooters? Uj

I can't offer any solid reasons for the differences but my experiences are the same as yours. Having had all three versions, MKi, MKii, and MKiii, I agree the MKii is better than the MKiii and the MKi is somehow better still. I also love not having the Anti Bear Trap (ABT) on the MKi. As a lefty the Air Arms ABT is a pain. It's also nice not to have to hear it during the cocking cycle. I always hold onto the cocking lever regardless of the gun, including breakbarrels just as a matter of good practice.

The MK1 has a stroke that's around 12mm shorter than the MK3. Offers a faster lock time, and less recoil and less susceptibility to bounce.

The MK3 gained a longer stroke to boost power through more available swept volume. Shot cycle suffered because of it.

Detuning the MK3 down to 12fpe usually ends up with a sluggish and "lumpy" feeling shot cycle. It can also be prone to bounce which can hinder accuracy.

Reactions: Uglyjohn
Thumper is right on the money with shot cycle explanation. The Mk1 also has a better balance and actually weighs slightly less. The better balance is a big deal for offhand shooting!! Competed with a Mk1 for many years and won the 95 world spring gun competition, but then retired and sold it.....foolish move on my part, ended up with a Mk3 as a replacement, and it shoots extremely well, but not as well as my old Mk1 !! Been looking for another Mk1 for years but havent found one in good shape yet.

I feel very fortunate to have found an unmodified TX200SR Mk1. I have left and right handed stocks for it, plus a CS1000 I inletted to fit it. What a pleasure to shoot. Ken, you would love this thing.

I have a couple of MK3 HCs, but both have short stroked Tony Leach 22mm kits in them. Not as nice as the Mk1 SR, but are great shooters too.

Tim

Last edited: